2,100-year-old burial of woman lying on bronze 'mermaid bed' unearthed in Greece (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Archaeologists have unearthed the ancient burial of a woman lying on a bronze bed near the city of Kozani in northern Greece. It dates to the first century B.C.
Screenshot_20220627-180027_Chrome.jpg

Depictions of mermaids decorate the posts of the bed. The bed also displays an image of a bird holding a snake in its mouth, a symbol of the ancient Greek god Apollo. The woman's head was covered with gold laurel leaves that likely were part of a wreath, Areti Chondrogianni-Metoki, director of the Ephorate of Antiquities of Kozani, told Live Science in an email. The wooden portions of the bed have decomposed.

Gold threads, possibly from embroidery, were found on the woman's hands, Chondrogianni-Metoki said. Additionally, four clay pots and a glass vessel were buried alongside the remains. No other people were buried with her.

Screenshot_20220627-180229_Chrome.jpg

Archaeologists are now analyzing the skeleton to determine the woman's health, age when she died and possible cause of death. The artifacts found with her suggest that she likely came from a wealthy background, and may have belonged to a royal family.

1656367481516.png

We do not know much about the history of this area [during the first century B.C.]," Chondrogianni-Metoki told Live Science. Thousands of years ago, Kozani was near an important city called Mavropigi (the site is now a village) that housed a sanctuary dedicated to Apollo, Chondrogianni-Metoki said.

Historical records show that during the first century B.C., Roman control and influence in Greece was on the rise. The Romans destroyed the city of Corinth in 146 B.C. and sacked Athens in 86 B.C. In 48 B.C. a crucial battle in northern Greece known as the Battle of Pharsalus saw the army of Julius Caesar defeat a force led by Pompey; the victory resulted in Caesar becoming the de facto ruler of Rome.

It's unclear when exactly in the first century B.C. this woman lived or if she would have witnessed or heard of any of those historic events. The woman’s remains are currently housed at the Archaeological Museum of Aiani in Greece.
Live Science contacted scholars not affiliated with the research for further insights on the discovery, but none were available to offer comment at the time of publication.

The bronze bed burial was found in 2019. In 2021, another bed burial was found in a nearby cemetery that had an elderly man buried on the remains of a bed made of iron and wood. That burial dated to the fourth century B.C.

92.eth

CFO Slime Capital LLC - The Wolf of Gore Street
Disturbing these burial places that were obviously constructed with such sentiment and care bothers me. I think it's bad juju.

Her family had money and power you don't just dig a hole and say peace out, you send em off with some swag because you're valuable how is that bad?

mrln

silent ghost
pretty cool find!
now all the spirits have been released. these people who were involved in this excavation,will soon die.

Guipago

Forum Veteran
Disturbing these burial places that were obviously constructed with such sentiment and care bothers me. I think it's bad juju.
I hear what your saying, unfortunately without having a nose about these burial sites we would never learn about the past & what it was like, from the text I come up with a high priestess of some sort which lets you know that women were held in high esteem.

WhatIsLife64

This user was banned
Wow, that's amazing. Sure is a different world since she took her last breath ... or is it.
Machines and technology sure have changed, but people, not so much, IMHO.

Ellzibette

Resident Rope Bottom
I hear what your saying, unfortunately without having a nose about these burial sites we would never learn about the past & what it was like, from the text I come up with a high priestess of some sort which lets you know that women were held in high esteem.
I get that. But they should do it with some reverence and respect...not dissect it into pieces and shuffle it off to 50 different museums.

Broadsword

Rookie
Very nice, but I think the discovery was two years ago.

Oh no! She cursed us with Covid! Damn!
Edit edit: you mentioned the date. Sorry

freebsd

Well Known Member
First of heard of greek lezbo's. I guess it makes sense with all the guys buggering each other.
Her family had money and power you don't just dig a hole and say peace out, you send em off with some swag because you're valuable how is that bad?
How do you know this isn't the equivalent ritual of daddy cutting his 1 year olds head off?

wiggins

Forum Veteran
Did you read my post at all?

I said we shouldn't disturb burial places....what the fuck are you talking about?
Rip into him Liz,

take no prisoners, that's my girl!
But to be serious, we learn a lot from the dead.

Anatomy was guessed at due to concerns about cutting up bodies.

Graves are repositories of material culture that can tell us so much about how people lived long ago.

Just that grave show above lets us know that these people had the following:
  • metallurgy: the ability to make bronze, thus knowing what tin and copper were and the knowledge that mixed they made bronze which is harder.
  • the ability to heat metal to melt it and the experience and expertise to make moulds and to cast in bronze.
  • a value placed on human life and a belief, inferred, of an after life.
  • a sense of social ranking. this person was obviously valued more highly than others
etc etc...

Last edited:
Back