A destroyed British tank and the burned remains of its crew in 1917 (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

D.O.A.

We are Kings
And a happy German.

l_21.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Aye, a good photo and a sad end to the WW1 British crew of the "Blarney Castle", a British Mk IV 'female'.

Fontaine Notre Dame, November 1917

One of the most photographed tanks of the World War 1, "Blarney Castle", a Mk IV 'female' sits where it was knocked-out by truck-borne German artillery in Fontaine Notre Dame, about 4 kilometres West of Cambrai. The entrance hole of the armour-piercing round that turned the tank's interior into an inferno, can be seen just forward of the port sponson.

The British tanks suffered 70% casualties during the ill-fated attack on Fontaine-Notre-Dame on 23 November largely thanks to the accuracy of the German gunners using their anti-aircraft guns in an anti-tank role for the first time.

British tanks were often named after the home town of the tankers that were assigned to it.

Different photos of the same tank:

ww1-brit-tank-blarney-castle-knocked-out2-Cambrai.jpg

ww1-brit-tank-blarney-castle-knocked-out3-Cambrai.jpg

3. The "Blarney" being dis-assembled by German mechanics after being towed behind their lines.
ww1-brit-tank-blarney-castle-salvaged-by-germans-Cambrai.jpg

Gogoplata

Supporter of Sun - Dog
Short Bussed
I've heard stories of airplane gunners on during ww2 that had to be flushed out of their gun bubbles with a water hose upon landing, anyone heard of some such?

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I've heard stories of airplane gunners on during ww2 that had to be flushed out of their gun bubbles with a water hose upon landing, anyone heard of some such?
I haven't heard stories like that but I wound't be surprised either. If true, it would probably have applied mostly to bomber tail gunners who were the main target of enemy fighters.

Back