'American Apparel' Ads

Should "American Apparel's" Ad's Be Banned?

• Total voters

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
US clothing manufacturer "American Apparel" is under the ASA (Britain's 'Advertising Standards Authority') gun again with more ad's being banned in the UK.

I don't follow the clothing industry but caught this news on Yahoo.ca yesterday. I'd never even heard of the company before but thought that the case (advertising censorship) was an interesting issue.

American Apparel is well known for it's racy and provocative ad's in Canada (the founder of the company is Canadian), the USA, the UK, and Japan, to name a few.

The problem seems to have stemmed from 2 British online-shopper complaints (1 this year and 1 in 2009) that found the company's ad's to be a tad too racy. The most recent complaint was over an ad on the back of a magazine cover that the complaintant felt depicted a child under the age of 16 "showing her knickers". Turns out that the model is 23 years old and the girlfriend of the photographer.

Calvin Klein, Victoria's Secrets, Chanel, G&G, etc. are also known for racy ad's that appear to depict underage models (male and female) - especially C-K. American Apparel's ad's are perhaps more racy and obviously sexually provocative (well, atleast to me) but should these ad's also be censored and banned?

Have a look at the many American Apparel ad's that I put together (warning, there is a shitload of them and yes, they all have my nick on them) and vote your opinion in the Poll :).

Set 1.

Thumb preview
AA-thumb.jpg

American-Apparel-ad1.jpg

American-Apparel-ad2.jpg

American-Apparel-ad3.jpg

American-Apparel-ad4.jpg

OP
DeathHand

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
And last image, which I'm adding so that folks can see the 23 yr old model that was in the most recent ad that the ASA banned due to her appearing under the age of 16.

Set 16.

1. Banned.
American-Apparel-ad61.jpg

Klaireece

Konnichiwa
Wow yea they are really racy, I have never heard of them either, so what type of magazines are they in? I can't imagine my kids seeing this in a magazine in the grocery isle,