ANY PEEPS WHO KNOW HOW TO BUILD A COMP??

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
so i decided to get rid of my 4yr old laptop, i wanna buy and build a new gaming comp. been talking to this one dude who's going to help me. he said for a decent gaming comp i'll need:

video card: GTX 550 TI
memory card: he says 8GB is the norm and i should get the DDR3 kind(think thats a company?)

as for the others he said hes not sure but a friend recomended me i get a quad core processor. im not sure about the motherboard. recommendations appreciated.

D

dankhead

DDR3 is the current technology of the RAM. Companies vary, like OCZ, Kingston, and such. If i was you, go looking about newegg.com and check out the different motherboards they offer. Either way, i am sure a computer buff will show up here and lead you in the right direction.

I've built a few, but yeah, really need to know what you want it to do. I bought my wife a really nice Toshiba laptop with a core i5 processor in it. That thing fucking flies and would probably run circles around my PC which is a gaming rig.
Think I paid $599 for it a year or so ago. Might have been a little more, I can't remember exactly.

OP
creepod

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
DDR3 is the current technology of the RAM. Companies vary, like OCZ, Kingston, and such. If i was you, go looking about newegg.com and check out the different motherboards they offer. Either way, i am sure a computer buff will show up here and lead you in the right direction.
omg i was just on that site right now:lulz: also reading tutorial on what parts should i get for a low budget gaming comp but everyone suggesting different things. also some sites look like they havnt been updated since 2008..

What kind of work will your computer be doing?
mostly games and surfing. everything else i dont care.

I've built a few, but yeah, really need to know what you want it to do. I bought my wife a really nice Toshiba laptop with a core i5 processor in it. That thing fucking flies and would probably run circles around my PC which is a gaming rig.
Think I paid $599 for it a year or so ago. Might have been a little more, I can't remember exactly.
laptops are horrible, they tend to break\get slow after couple of years. def something i regret investing in.

Depends. The usual killer of a laptop is heat. A lot of people use them on the bed or sofa, etc, and the cooling vents get blocked, which puts strain on the processor and will eventually kill it.
I got her a nice laptop cooler with it, and no issues with heat at all.

All she does is surf the web on it and do her DDP Yoga on it, so it's not like she's regularly putting it through it's paces.
But, I have, and that thing is pretty badass.

OP
creepod

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
Depends. The usual killer of a laptop is heat. A lot of people use them on the bed or sofa, etc, and the cooling vents get blocked, which puts strain on the processor and will eventually kill it.
I got her a nice laptop cooler with it, and no issues with heat at all.

All she does is surf the web on it and do her DDP Yoga on it, so it's not like she's regularly putting it through it's paces.
But, I have, and that thing is pretty badass.
depends on your needs, i guess. i wish i saved those 800$(and yes, comps are expensive here) and invested in a good comp instead. but oh well, you learn from mistakes. hopefully with time i'll learn how to build it myself so i wont have to depend on someone else to change or fix it for me when i need to.

The best PC I ever had was one I bought for $325 on a blowout in Staples. Took it home slapped my video and sound card in it and it was a beast for years.
Couldn't play the newest games on high settings, but that thing was a fucking workhorse for a long time.
I'd still have it now if we hadn't got flooded during the hurricane here a couple of years back.

I would go with something like if I was on a low budget.
http://i45.tinypic.com/e8tli9.png

If you got a bigger budget, I would upgrade GTX 660 to GTX 670 (of same model).
The components I have chosen are silent, but if you really want to not notice the noise of the PC, get a fan controller. It reduces the speed of the cans to about 1/3 - and a fan controller is cheap. Buyable from newegg aswell.

OP
creepod

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
I would go with something like if I was on a low budget.
http://i45.tinypic.com/e8tli9.png

If you got a bigger budget, I would upgrade GTX 660 to GTX 670 (of same model).
The components I have chosen are silent, but if you really want to not notice the noise of the PC, get a fan controller. It reduces the speed of the cans to about 1/3 - and a fan controller is cheap. Buyable from newegg aswell.
omg that is GREAT. thank you so much. i prob wont need the DVD burner since i never used one. and yes fan controller sounds good. btw, would you recommend buying these things online? since i dont live in the US and they're extremely delicate. i could go to a shop here but everything is extremely overpriced and we prob dont have half of the things in that list.

OP
creepod

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
we have online shops too but like you said US stores are much cheaper. im worried if i order these things from another country they'll break on the way or can come broken. have you ever ordered parts for your comp from the US?

Just order from your country.
Prices in US, when sent to europe, is before taxes.
And, I have a few times bought stuff from germany. They have cheap hardware aswell. Their prices are with taxes included.

I have once, however, ordered a laptop from US in 2010 and it still works. Had to RMA it once, but I had to send it to Holland (iirc) because that is where the manufacturer is located.

OP
creepod

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
yeah, you're right. shipping costs not worth it and just means waiting longer. thanks for the list and advice, i'll show it the guy who's helping me build the comp.

OneLoudMustang88

I BET JEW DID NATZI THAT ONE COMING ...... 14:88
IF you build a computer
Build what works for you ,
> > >DO YOUR RESEARCH AHEAD OF TIME VERY VERY CAREFULY
( TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT )
ASK PEOPLE WHO ARE CLOSE TO YOU WHO HAVE BUILT THEIR OWN COMPUTER ALOT OF QUESTIONS <<<

make sure the whole thing will work together properly and function correctly
OR buy a Name Brand like HP or something with the best available warranty

when - My DELL died a horrible death

And I Did Not Like Anything out there already built

I decided to build this computer from an empty case to a completed unit

I built this one last year on a COOLERMASTER HAF 912 Mid Tower case ,with three 8 inch case fans
a Cooler Master super chip CPU cooler with two 4 inch fans inverted ,its like a miniature car radiator
MSI - 790 FX GD 70 Mother board <<---- There are now alot of better and faster ones
AMD Athalon Three III - 3 chip multi chip CPU

2 HIGH SPEED DDR 3 MEMORY sticks - these MUST be matched to the CPU to work properly
( there are several different speed memory sticks , I found out the hard way , you need to match them to the CPU ) Micro Processor
or the whole thing will just sit there look good and not do a thing

MSI twin frozer II High definition video card - HD 1080 dpi SQI or higher
a Light Scribe R/W CD DVD WRITER CD DRIVE like an HP or SONY

with 2 western digital 500 gig hard drives one hard drive runs Ghost back up to save a copy of everything on the computer just in case
and a 900 watt name brand power supply

BE PREPARED you will spend over a $1000.oo before you are done
I bought every single thing at FRY`S and sometimes I waited weeks for stuff to go on sale

It runs great, its fast , it stays cool and BY ALL MEANS leave your self room for expansion
Its easy to keep clean , plays most of the games I use
It Works just fine also with a 1080-H/D TELEVISION MONITOR

I purchased Panda Anti Virus to keep it bug free

[ water cooling , unless your a super high speed gamer god , and you like fires , stay away from that shit, its a joke ]

Always remember in a few weeks your friend will have a faster more amazing and better gaming computer than you do .

OP
creepod

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
IF you build a computer
Build what works for you ,
> > >DO YOUR RESEARCH AHEAD OF TIME VERY VERY CAREFULY
( TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT )
ASK PEOPLE WHO ARE CLOSE TO YOU WHO HAVE BUILT THEIR OWN COMPUTER ALOT OF QUESTIONS <<<

make sure the whole thing will work together properly and function correctly
OR buy a Name Brand like HP or something with the best available warranty

when - My DELL died a horrible death

And I Did Not Like Anything out there already built ,

I decided to build this computer from an empty case to a completed unit

I built this one last year on a COOLERMASTER HAF 912 Mid Tower case ,with three 8 inch case fans
a Cooler Master super chip CPU cooler with two 4 inch fans inverted ,its like a miniature car radiator
MSI GDI 7850 Mother board <<---- There are now alot of better and faster ones
AMD Athalon Three III - 3 chip multi chip CPU

2 HIGH SPEED DDR 3 MEMORY sticks - these MUST be matched to the CPU to work properly
( there are several different speed memory sticks , I found out the hard way , you need to match them to the CPU ) Micro Processor
or the whole thing will just sit there look good and not do a thing

MSI twin frozer II High definition video card - HD 1080 dpi SQI or higher
a Light Scribe R/W CD DVD WRITER CD DRIVE like an HP or SONY
and a 900 watt name brand power supply

BE PREPARED you will spend over a $1000.oo before you are done
I bought every single thing at FRY`S and sometimes I waited weeks for stuff to go on sale

It runs great, its fast , it stays cool and BY ALL MEANS leave your self room for expansion
Its easy to keep clean , plays most of the games I use
It Works just fine also with a 1080-H/D TELEVISION MONITOR

I purchased Panda Anti Virus to keep it bug free

[ water cooling , unless your a super high speed gamer god , and you like fires , stay away from that shit, its a joke ]

Always remember in a few weeks your friend will have a faster more amazing and better gaming computer than you do .
thanks for advice. my biggest problem is that i dont really know anyone who lives close to me who can built a comp. so all i can do right now is ask questions from people who live far away and hope everything works out. might lose hope and pay a fucking store to do it for me or something. and yeah that last bit very true unfortunately.

i7, 16g ddr3 at least TWO samsung solid state drives and one 2tb platter for storage. get a decent vid card (just spend $250 and don't worry about the semantics) buy a good keyboard and mouse. NO BLUETOOTH it'll be the slowest part of your system.

i'll build it for you. you won't regret it.