Apple Ipod usb connector?

Terrace

NewbieX
Apple Ipod usb connector? is it just me or does everyone feel screwed by apple when buying these ipod usb cables? the rubber always seems to tear near the ipod connector, i dont even use it and it tears! i have a docking station, the cable sits quite merrily on a shelf, and tears! what the hell?! its my 5th one in the past year! is there plastic cable anywhere? i cant seem to find one! and if there is why would they send a crap rubber cable with the £250 Ipod Touch when it was brand new, surely at that price its worth a decent cable! and dont get me started on the headphones which last a week and then manage to go proper quiet! why make such a brilliant device and have shiatsu accessories? is this how they plan to make money?

D.O.A.

These are great days we're living, bros
it seems pretty funny to me that the radio in my car, made in Australia in 1974 lasts longer then apple accessories or anything made in china for that matter. Everything is made to break now, it's the same as a car company not wanting you driving the same car for 40 years. It's called planned obsolescence.
Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence[1] in industrial design is a policy of deliberately planning or designing a product with a limited useful life, so it will become obsolete or nonfunctional after a certain period of time.[1] Planned obsolescence has potential benefits for a producerbecause to obtain continuing use of the product the consumer is under pressure to purchase again, whether from the same manufacturer (a replacement part or a newer model), or from a competitor which might also rely on planned obsolescence.[1]

In some cases, deliberate deprecation of earlier versions of a technology is used to reduce ongoing support costs, especially in the software industry. Though this could be considered planned obselescence, it differs from the classic form in that the consumer is typically made aware of the limited support lifetime of the product as part of their licensing agreement.

Decent60

Patient goes beep beep beeeeeeeeeep
To go along with the planned obsolescence, technology advances so quickly, that they don't care about making it last as long because something "better" will replace it in under 2 years. They make it last until the next roll out of technology and then sell the specifications to companies that like to live off of that stuff.
We had a TV from 1979. It was one of the big, cabnet CRT tvs. It lasted up until earlier this year, with it being watched at least 14 hours of the day...every day.
We've purchased a few new TVs, already had to send 1 back because it burnt out and the other one isn't fully functioning. They need to make things built to last, who wants to buy something from a company that you have to keep replacing pieces off of. That's just throwing more money out the window.