Archeologists find 3,000-year-old sword so well-preserved it ‘almost shines’ (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
A bronze sword made more than 3,000 years ago that is so well-preserved it “almost still shines” has been unearthed in Germany, officials say.
Bavaria’s state office for the preservation of historical monuments says the sword, which is believed to date back to the end of the 14th century B.C. — the middle of the Bronze Age — was found during excavations last week in Noerdlingen, between Nuremberg and Stuttgart in southern Germany.
It has a bronze octagonal hilt and comes from a grave in which three people — a man, a woman and a boy — were buried in quick succession with bronze objects, the Bavarian office said in a statement this week.

It is not yet clear whether the three were related to each other and, if so, how.
The sword and the burial still need to be examined so that our archeologists can categorize this find more precisely,” said the head of the office, Mathias Pfeil. “But we can already say that the state of preservation is extraordinary. A find like this is very rare.”

It’s unusual to find swords from the period, but they have emerged from burial mounds that were opened in the 19th century or as individual finds, the office said.
bronze-ages-sword-230616-02.jpg
bronze-ages-sword-230616-01.jpg
bronze-ages-sword-230616-03.jpg

wiggins

Forum Veteran
Stunning handle. The effort people used to put into craftsmanship should be reintroduced in our era!
Have you noticed current building methods for houses? All ply wood and daub McMansions.

My old family home where I grew up in Melbourne was triple brick. Up in the roof space where quarter trees forming rafters. Built 1920 this Californian bungalow would have lasted another 100 years.

But they pulled it down and a new McMansion was built out of plywood, steel and rendering with plaster. Looks just like all the other McMansion's in the street... souless and huge with most of the quarter acre block used up and no big garden for future generations of children to play in like I did.

Still, each kid will have its own on suit and surround sound entertainment home cinema in which to fatten up so there is that...

Oak lined street too. We used to have acorn fights in season. Using our tennis rackets we'd belt these acorns high up and count down until the 'bang!' on the neighbours roofs. Wonderful stuff really...

But not as fun as addictive games on the tiny screens I'm sure...

Punisher_1

This user was banned
That is super rare.
Note the broadheads next to the bones. They were in a pouch or the like that has decayed. Also other items on the body possibly tools or knives. the only thing i can think of is the clothing or leather kept the body rot from the metal or possibly the ground absorbed the moisture of the corpses.
Other than that someone may have greased/waxed them well

wiggins

Forum Veteran
That is super rare.
Note the broadheads next to the bones. They were in a pouch or the like that has decayed. Also other items on the body possibly tools or knives. the only thing i can think of is the clothing or leather kept the body rot from the metal or possibly the ground absorbed the moisture of the corpses.
Other than that someone may have greased/waxed them well
All tools are bronze so will not rust.

Punisher_1

This user was banned
All tools are bronze so will not rust.

Corrosion, decay and the like thats why I said decay. All metal breaks down even bronze. Granted not so much as Steel or Iron but this one seems to be exceptional maybe purity of the metal or the smithing process or just some basic luck

McM

ARSELING
Looks like it's made of jade on the first view; it's maybe the green patina(?) that has this effect. Beautiful

The archeologists said the octagon grip was done in a rare casting/smithing technique.

bronzeschwertg.jpg

Last edited:
It's more than likely a grave good for a very high status chief . swords where symbols of power and very few people carried them as a weapon . The thing is stunning . Today your lucky if your printer works !

Zargon the great

Well Known Member
Ancient blacksmiths and swordsmiths took the level of skill to amazing heights. It shows that humans relative to their era and environment were Masters of Technology. This sword was probably both difficult and expensive to forge. The owner had to have been a Lord, or even a Chieftan.

Back