As Europe adopts Australia's plain packaging reforms, big tobacco fights back (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

D.O.A.

We are Kings
This month alone saw Ireland and Britain legislate for plain cigarette packets with big ugly health warnings, following Australia's 2012 lead. Norway and France – and others – are hard on their heels.

These wins have come despite fierce opposition from the tobacco industry. Lawyers have threatened huge lawsuits, piles of specially-commissioned reports have been delivered to key lobbyists, legislators and opinion-makers, and the industry even (Daube's colleagues claim) played dirty tricks along the way.

"I haven't seen the industry as ferocious about anything in more than 40 years," says Prof Daube. "They clearly do see it as a massive threat, especially now that so many dominos are falling."

Also this week, billionaire philanthropists Michael Bloomberg and Bill Gates dug for small change in the sofa and found $US4 million to help developing countries fight legal threats from tobacco companies.

Two and a half weeks ago Ireland passed plain packaging legislation, last week similar legislation passed the UK House of Commons and Singapore announced a public consultation on plain packaging. This week the House of Lords passed it into law in the UK, Norway released a public consultation document proposing it and plain packaging bills are under discussion in Panama and South Africa, Dr Bettcher says. This is not to mention moves in France, New Zealand, Burkina Faso and Turkey.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/as-euro...-big-tobacco-fights-back-20150321-1m3bwk.html

I just bought a pack of deformed babies

article-2382536-1B17EFD2000005DC-449_634x407.jpg

msr

AHHHHH FUCK
This month alone saw Ireland and Britain legislate for plain cigarette packets with big ugly health warnings, following Australia's 2012 lead. Norway and France – and others – are hard on their heels.

These wins have come despite fierce opposition from the tobacco industry. Lawyers have threatened huge lawsuits, piles of specially-commissioned reports have been delivered to key lobbyists, legislators and opinion-makers, and the industry even (Daube's colleagues claim) played dirty tricks along the way.

"I haven't seen the industry as ferocious about anything in more than 40 years," says Prof Daube. "They clearly do see it as a massive threat, especially now that so many dominos are falling."

Also this week, billionaire philanthropists Michael Bloomberg and Bill Gates dug for small change in the sofa and found $US4 million to help developing countries fight legal threats from tobacco companies.

Two and a half weeks ago Ireland passed plain packaging legislation, last week similar legislation passed the UK House of Commons and Singapore announced a public consultation on plain packaging. This week the House of Lords passed it into law in the UK, Norway released a public consultation document proposing it and plain packaging bills are under discussion in Panama and South Africa, Dr Bettcher says. This is not to mention moves in France, New Zealand, Burkina Faso and Turkey.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/as-euro...-big-tobacco-fights-back-20150321-1m3bwk.html

I just bought a pack of deformed babies

article-2382536-1B17EFD2000005DC-449_634x407.jpg
Buy a new pack a day and soon you will have the entire set. Every month a new series, it's just a new way to get your money while looking pc.

bootleg_bastard

engel des totes
This user was banned
cigarettes are boring, if i were in charge I'd spice up the tobacco products with marijuana and synthetic cannabinoids.

Back