Australian carbon tax is gone (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

D.O.A.

We are Kings
Fuck yes, eat shit hippies

Australia on Thursday became the first country in the world to abolish a price on carbon, with the Senate passing the government’s repeal bills 39 votes to 32. After two weeks of negotiations, and several false starts, the Abbott government achieved its long-held ambition to axe the tax, to applause from government senators.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...re-all-nnn-nnn-vars-o&sa=D&usg=ALhdy28zsr6qiq

SimmonS

SS Teutonic knights templar
'Thursday’s repeal also axed hundreds of millions of dollars in funding for the Australian Renewable Energy Agency, despite the Palmer United Party and Senator Muir signalling they will not vote for the agency’s abolition in a bill to be considered later this year.'

I can't say that I have any special insight into how this abolition may affect me other than it could raise the cost of consumer goods as the cost of production goes up but I can't exactly see how a tax can be a bad thing if it contributes to renewable energy.

rattdogg

Fresh Meat
'Thursday’s repeal also axed hundreds of millions of dollars in funding for the Australian Renewable Energy Agency, despite the Palmer United Party and Senator Muir signalling they will not vote for the agency’s abolition in a bill to be considered later this year.'

I can't say that I have any special insight into how this abolition may affect me other than it could raise the cost of consumer goods as the cost of production goes up but I can't exactly see how a tax can be a bad thing if it contributes to renewable energy.
They were never going to use it for renewable energy , stupid cunts put 1000's of people out of work by implementing it

D.O.A.

We are Kings

On the supply side, the tax is designed to lift the cost of the general energy supply rather than to reduce the costs of renewable energy. However, the gap between the costs of general and renewable energy is so great that the tax doesn't actually change production. That is why the carbon tax in itself is not expected to close down a single power station between now and 2020. Similarly, the tax is not expected to create one watt of additional renewable energy beyond the existing 20 per cent target.

This brings me to the environmental failure of the tax, which is that it raises prices without reducing emissions. Indeed, under the ALP's carbon tax Australia's emissions will go up by 43 million tonnes between now and 2020 and will be almost constant for the next 40 years.

That is why 100 million tonnes of credits will have to be purchased overseas in 2020 alone. Therefore, while the carbon tax raises a minimum of $9bn in 2020, the tax itself delivers only about 40 million tonnes of actual abatement that year. Other measures have to account for 75 per cent of emissions reduction. This means that for the tax itself, there is a staggering $225 cost per tonne of domestic CO2 abatement.

Unfortunately, not only does the tax fail to clean up Australia, it also does very little for the world. In sectors such as steel, aluminium and methanol production, we are simply going to see a shift of production from the Western world to the developing world.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...l-the-carbon-tax/story-e6frgd0x-1226175599294

Back