Black & White

DeathsDoor

Knock Knock
H4429-L104176506.jpg

Brassaï made his name as a chronicler of the night. His book Paris de nuit (1932) surveys the activities and topography of the city after dark, from the louche bars of Montparnasse to the trees and bridges flanking the Seine. The dreamy atmosphere of Brassaï's photographs is intensified by his preference for shooting on rainy and foggy nights. "Fog and rain . . . tend to soften contrasts," he wrote. "Steam, as well as wet ground, act as reflectors and diffuse the light of the lamps in all directions. Therefore, it is necessary to photograph certain subjects in the rain, since it is the rain that makes them 'photogenic.'"

Reactions: McM

DeathsDoor

Knock Knock
1.jpg
This photo shows the county jail at Crown Point as Dillinger arrived on January 30. Because of fears that his gang would try to rescue Dillinger, heavily armed guards surrounded the courthouse. Before Dillinger could stand trial in March, he would break out of the jail with a wooden gun.

DeathsDoor

Knock Knock
1.jpg
Rose Neary was found dead in her apartment on June 2, 1939. She was strangled by a radio cord in her kitchen, before a towel was placed over her head and she was hit with a claw hammer. Though her murder was never solved, police suspected her chauffeur, Edward Donovan, who owed her $2,000 from a loan.

DeathsDoor

Knock Knock
1.jpg
William Heirens was known as "The Lipstick Killer." In 1946, he was convicted of kidnapping and killing 6-year-old Suzanne Degnan. Heirens was also convicted of murdering Frances Brown, 33, and Josephine Ross, 43 in 1945. Heirens got his nickname because he wrote, "For heaven's sake, catch me before I kill more. I cannot control myself," on the wall of Brown's apartment in lipstick. He is seen in this photo surrounded by Detective Chief Walter Storms on his left and Captain Michael Ahern on the right.

McM

Krautnigger
Okay... wtf are the doing standing on stilts?
Moorish ground, I just read.

‘The Landes region of southwestern France was for much of its history impoverished, with few roads and vast swaths of marshy and treacherous terrain. To navigate the soft and unsteady heathlands, shepherds developed a unique adaptation — they traveled on stilts.’

uploads-2016-7-28-landesstilts_2.jpg

DeathsDoor

Knock Knock
Moorish ground, I just read.

‘The Landes region of southwestern France was for much of its history impoverished, with few roads and vast swaths of marshy and treacherous terrain. To navigate the soft and unsteady heathlands, shepherds developed a unique adaptation — they traveled on stilts.’

View attachment 355626
I'd be no good on them things..

McM

Krautnigger
messy eater
He didn't eat much and well and annoyed his lunch guests in the Führer HQ with his mandatory vegetarian soups and mineral water. He allowed his officers to have a glass of wine/beer though but was complaining about that during the meal. Hess was even worse, at times he showed up at the Führers table followed by his own cook who had to make an extra meal for him with 'vegan' ingredients drawn from his own ecological garden. The Führer wasn't amused.
To read in the 'table talks' written by the Brit Henry Picker and in commented versions of that book.

DeathsDoor

Knock Knock
He didn't eat much and well and annoyed his lunch guests in the Führer HQ with his mandatory vegetarian soups and mineral water. He allowed his officers to have a glass of wine/beer though but was complaining about that during the meal. Hess was even worse, at times he showed up at the Führers table followed by his own cook who had to make an extra meal for him with 'vegan' ingredients drawn from his own ecological garden. The Führer wasn't amused.
To read in the 'table talks' written by the Brit Henry Picker and in commented versions of that book.
Interesting!
They had mineral water in them days?.. that surprised me.

So Hess had his own cook.. scared of being poisoned maybe!

McM

Krautnigger
They had mineral water in them days?.. that surprised me.
'Apollinaris' very known/good water. But I think there were more sorts, you became rich if you had one of these springs on your property.

'The spring was discovered by chance in 1852 in Georg Kreuzberg’s vineyard, in Bad Neuenahr, Germany. He named it after St Apollinaris of Ravenna, a patron saint of wine.'

DeathsDoor

Knock Knock
'Apollinaris' very known/good water. But I think there were more sorts, you became rich if you had one of these springs on your property.

'The spring was discovered by chance in 1852 in Georg Kreuzberg’s vineyard, in Bad Neuenahr, Germany. He named it after St Apollinaris of Ravenna, a patron saint of wine.'
WINE! Now ya talking McM

• Haha