Bobby Joe Long (The Classified Add Rapist) (Serial Killer) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

RexServantGirlAnnihilator

Serial Killer in Training
Bobby Joe Long​

Mug shot of Bobby Joe Long​
Background information​
Birth name​
Bobby Joe Long
Also known as​
The Classified Ad Rapist
Born​
October 14, 1953 (age 58)
Kenova, West Virginia, United States
Conviction​
Assault and battery,
Murder,
Rape
Sentence​
Death
Killings​
10+
Country​
United States
State(s)​
Florida
Date apprehended​
November 16, 1984
Bobby Joe Long (born October 14, 1953), also known as Bobbie Joe Long, Robert Joe Long and Robert Joseph Long, is an American serial killer, as of April 2012 on death row[1] in the state of Florida. Long abducted, sexually assaulted, and murdered at least 10 women in the Tampa Bay Area during an eight month period in 1984. He released his last victim, after sexually assaulting her for a period of 26 hours. She provided information to the police that enabled them to track him down.

Early life

Long was born October 14, 1953 in Kenova, West Virginia. He was born with an extra x chromosome, because of which he grew breasts during puberty, for which he was severely teased.[3] He also suffered multiple head injuries as a child.[4] He had a dysfunctional relationship with his mother; he slept in her bed until he was a teenager, and resented her multiple short-term boyfriends.[3] He married his high school girlfriend in 1974, with whom he had two children before she filed for divorce in 1980.
Prior to the Tampa Bay areas murders, Long had committed at least 50 rapes as the "Classified Ad Rapist" in Fort Lauderdale, Ocala, Miami and Dade County. Starting in 1981, Long answered classified ads for small appliances, and if he found a woman alone at home, he would rape her. He was tried and convicted for rape in 1981 but requested a new trial which was granted. The charges were later dropped. Before Bobby killed in Florida, he lived in Long Beach, CA on the 2500 Block of Eucalyptus Avenue where he rented a room from a female named Kathy. Bobby attended an underwater welding course and dated a 17 year old girl across the street from his rented room. Bobby began contacting women through the Penny Saver and other classified ads and when he found a woman alone, he asked to use the bathroom, took out his "rape kit" and brutally raped and robbed the woman. These crimes were never prosecuted by the local California authorities.[5][6]
Murders

Long moved to the Tampa area in 1983. Hillsborough County had been averaging about 30 to 35 homicides per year in the eighties. Then, in 1984, the murder rate escalated. During one eight month period, a killer with a unique method of binding, raping and killing his victims, then dumping them in unusual positions and poses, was averaging a murder every other week. The first victim was discovered in May 1984, when the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office (HCSO) was called to a crime scene where the body of a nude woman had been found.[7]
This began an intensive investigation into the abduction, rape, and murder of at least 10 women in three counties in the Tampa Bay area (Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas) involving the personnel from the HCSO, the FBI, the Tampa Police Department (TPD), the Pasco County Sheriff's Office (PCSO), and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE). The bodies were found usually long after the murder in a state of decomposition, dumped near a rural roadside and dragged into the woods.[8]
Modus Operandi

In 1984, Long, then on probation for assault, began driving around areas known for prostitution and shoddy bars where women were found alone, "trolling" for victims. He claimed his victims approached him, after which he persuaded them to enter his car and took them to an apartment. There he bound his victims with rope and ligature collars he fashioned using a variety of rope knots, later confessing that he derived sadistic pleasure from the abduction, rape and brutal murder of his victims. Some he strangled, others he cut the throats of or bludgeoned to death. The bodies were placed in unique positions or "displayed" for example with legs splayed five feet apart at odd angles. Of Long's ten known victims, five were identified as prostitutes, two as exotic dancers, one was a factory worker, one was a student, and one was of unknown occupation.[2]
Capture

At the time of his capture, Long was wanted by three jurisdictions in the Tampa Bay Area who collected forensic evidence, including clothing and carpet fibers, semen, ligature marks, and rope knots.[2]
Robert Long was arrested on November 16, 1984, and charged with the sexual battery and kidnapping of Lisa McVey. Long signed a formal Miranda waiver, and consented to questioning. After the detectives procured a confession for the McVey case, their questioning focused on a series of unsolved sexual battery homicides pending in the area. As the detectives began to question Long about the murders, he replied, "I'd rather not answer that." The detectives continued the interrogation, and handed Long photographs of the various murder victims. At this point, Long stated, "The complexion of things sure have changed since you came back into the room. I think I might need an attorney." No attorney was provided, and Long eventually confessed to eight murders in Hillsborough County, and one murder in Pasco County.[9][10]
Fiber evidence analysis by the FBI linked Long's vehicle to most of his victims.[2]
Trial

The Hillsborough County State Attorney's Office confronted Long with the evidence. The State Attorney and the Public Defender's Office of Hillsborough County reached a plea bargain for eight of the homicides and the abduction and rape of Lisa McVey. Long pleaded guilty on September 24, 1985, to all of these crimes, receiving 26 life sentences without the possibility of parole (24 concurrent and two to run consecutively to the first 24) and seven life sentences with the possibility of parole after 25 years. In addition, the State retained the option to seek the death penalty for the murder of Michelle Simms. In July 1986, the penalty phase of the Michelle Simms trial was held in Tampa. It lasted one week and again received extensive media attention. Long was found guilty and was sentenced to die in Florida's electric chair.
Although Long confessed to raping and killing women, his confession was thrown out. His trial proceeded straight to the penalty phase, which was possible in the 1980s. In early 1985, he received the death penalty.
Long was convicted and appealed of his first degree murder conviction and death sentence for crimes committed in Hillsborough County.[11]
Long appealed his first degree murder conviction and sentence of death in the death of Virginia Johnson.[12]
On appeal from the Circuit Court in and for Pasco County, in which Long's death sentence was vacated, his conviction reversed, and his case remanded to the trial court with directions to enter an order of acquittal for the murder of Virginia Johnson.[13] On February 24, 1999, Long accused the Capital Collateral Regional Council (the state office defending death row inmates in their appeals) of revealing his private letters to a book author, thus violating attorney-client privilege. He also accused the agency of running a "death pool", betting on the date inmates would be executed on, and asked that the agency be removed from his case.[14] An investigation concluded that these allegations were unfounded. Long's petition for a writ of mandamus to require Bob Dillinger, the public defender for the Sixth Judicial Circuit, to relinquish possession and control of his file in State v. Long, was denied.
According to the Florida Department of Corrections, Long has one five-year sentence, four 99-year sentences, 28 life sentences, and one death sentence.[1]

TO CONTACT BOBBY JOE WRITE TO:

Robert J Long
#494041 ;7819 N.W.228th st.
Union Correctional Institution
Raiford, Fl 32026-4450

Attachments

• image201204030002.jpg
    image201204030002.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 139

His car was awesome, I've wanted one like it ever since I saw a picture of it on Medical Detectives as a kid.

I've never seen his car! Think you can find me a pic of it?! or do you know the model/make/year? if not i'll ask him net time I write him what he drove. Was it the car he had when he was busted? If you know where any more info on him (Videos, Interviews, Interview Transcripts) let me know please! I've only seen a vid of him spitting on the camera (Wich cracks me up!)

Andria

Cutie
I've never seen his car! Think you can find me a pic of it?! or do you know the model/make/year? if not i'll ask him net time I write him what he drove. Was it the car he had when he was busted? If you know where any more info on him (Videos, Interviews, Interview Transcripts) let me know please! I've only seen a vid of him spitting on the camera (Wich cracks me up!)
It was a red and white 1978 Dodge Magnum (basically a copy of a Pontiac Grand Prix, looks like a '75 Grand Prix, which is what I learned to drive in), it was the car he had when he was busted and which Lisa MacVeigh remembered enough of to get him pwnd.

TruTV Crime Library has a great article on him, and there are several books that you can get from Abebooks, Ebay or Amazon.

I'll check the online article out for sure! Thank you so much! And I don't have the money to order the books online since I'm the only 23 year old in the US who dosent have a credit or debit card. When I get a prepaid debit im def ordering the boook but sending it to Bobby for him to sign to me and send to me. That'd be pretty nice. But i'll def check out that TruTv article. Thanks again! What do you think about Bobby?

Andria

Cutie
I'll check the online article out for sure! Thank you so much! And I don't have the money to order the books online since I'm the only 23 year old in the US who dosent have a credit or debit card. When I get a prepaid debit im def ordering the boook but sending it to Bobby for him to sign to me and send to me. That'd be pretty nice. But i'll def check out that TruTv article. Thanks again! What do you think about Bobby?
You're welcome. I think Bobby thought he was hot shit that could get away with serial murder and sex crimes, but was outsmarted by Lisa MacVeigh's recollections of his car and the area she was kidnapped from. FWIW Lisa's grandfather was a paedophile double amputee who molested her... I looked at a gold 1978 Magnum that was on Craigslist in Oregon a few years ago, but didn't want to deal with a lien title, 20-year outdoor storage, rust and nearly 1,000 miles to ship it even though it was $100. I may as well look for one just like Bobby's if not his exact car.

I think I may also get one now exactly like his, when I write him im gonna ask him what happen to his, my guess the police destroyed it. maybe his family has it and will sell it to me! i wish!!!! but he could have gotten away with it longer, idk why he didn't kill Lisa. I mean it wouldnt have been the first time he killed someone..

Andria

Cutie
I think I may also get one now exactly like his, when I write him im gonna ask him what happen to his, my guess the police destroyed it. maybe his family has it and will sell it to me! i wish!!!! but he could have gotten away with it longer, idk why he didn't kill Lisa. I mean it wouldnt have been the first time he killed someone..
My guess is that either Bobby's mother got the car after the courts released his personal effects to her, or it was sold cheap at auction to help pay for the trial, then driven into the ground and junked. The latter was the fate of, among others, both of Ottis Toole's Cadillacs, Bob Berdella's Toyota Tercel, Larry Eyler's pickup truck, Gerald Stano's AMC Gremlin, and John Wayne Gacy's Oldsmobile, according to a few IRL acquaintances in the know. The Stano, Berdella and Eyler vehicles were also nearly new and were a great deal for their next owners. The only murderer car I know for a fact to have been destroyed by police was Michael Ryan's Vauxhall Astra, which has been proven to have been run through a crusher by Scotland Yard, but I have a feeling that Richard Trenton Chase's El Camino was crushed immediately after the trial since it was a biohazard.

As far as I know, Roger Kibbe's wife still drives the Hyundai Sonata that he used in the later crimes, and Charles Rodman Campbell's son drove his dad's Ford Torino until the late 1990s.

Lisa MacVeigh escaped.

Do you know anywhere I can get any of these cars? or Roger Kibbe's wifes contact info? I know they crushed Casey Anthonys car. or Do you have Charles Rodman Campbell's son contact info. And I thought for sure he let her go, cause he later said "I knew I would get caught for letting her go" and he said something along the lines of "he wanted all the madness to stop"

Andria

Cutie
I don't have any contact info, and the guy I talked to about these cars is in federal prison on weapons charges. :(

hahaha, ill find out! i wish I could find out how to get a personal affect from someone, for instance, I want to order the books written about Bobby Joe Long, Richard Ramirez, Phillip Jablonski and get them sent to them, but then them send me the books and signed to me

Andria

Cutie
hahaha, ill find out! i wish I could find out how to get a personal affect from someone, for instance, I want to order the books written about Bobby Joe Long, Richard Ramirez, Phillip Jablonski and get them sent to them, but then them send me the books and signed to me
PM me with the dirt on the Bobby Joe-mobile and the others when you get it!

Good luck tracing the Stano and Chase cars, they are all dead, there are almost no Gremlins left as far as I know, and Richard Trenton Chase's El Camino was not only a junker, but severely contaminated with blood, feces and brain matter.

Back