Catholic Church Issues Guide on How to Convert Witches. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rosie

Oh dear.
Super Moderator
LONDON -- Five hundred years ago, the Catholic Church had a simple way of dealing with witches: It burned them alive. The Vatican still views these broom botherers as a danger, but is now calling on Catholics to eliminate the neo-pagan problem in a more moderate manner.

According to a new booklet from the Catholic Truth Society -- the U.K. publishers for the Holy See -- the faithful can convert Wiccans by following a few simple steps. The pamphlet, titled "Wicca and Witchcraft: Understanding the Dangers," suggests that Catholics spark up conversations with these unbelievers about shared concerns such as the environment, The Telegraph reports.

And if you bump into a witch in a bar or coffee shop, the book adds, it's important to recognize that "Wiccans are on a genuine spiritual quest," providing "the starting point for dialog that may lead to their conversion."

The booklet's author, former Wiccan Elizabeth Dodd, states that nearly 70 percent of people indulging in witchcraft are young women seeking some kind of spirituality, according to the Daily Mail. The source of that statistic isn't clear, but some 7,000 Brits identified themselves as Wiccans in the 2001 census.

So why does the Vatican once again feel that it needs to confront pagan practitioners? The Daily Mail says that the church is afraid the dark arts are becoming ever more tempting thanks to the success of Harry Potter. Dodd says that any youngster who dabbles in magic risks long-term problems.

"Whether spellwork is effective or not," writes Dodd, according to The Telegraph, "has no bearing on the psychological damage that can be done to a young person who is convinced that they have summoned the dead, or have performed a spell that has hurt or injured another."

More important, Dodd adds that the simple act of experimenting with spellcraft is an insult to the Almighty. "The use of magic, the practice of witchcraft, offends God because it is rooted in our sinful and fallen nature," she writes. "It attempts to usurp God."

While many religious and nonreligious folk might regard Dodd's message as extreme, her point has clearly been heeded by some Catholics. As of this morning, the pamphlet was listed as sold-out on Amazon.co.uk.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/04/catholic-church-issues-guide-on-how-to-convert-witches/

Rosie

Oh dear.
Super Moderator
"Some 7,000 Brits Identified themselves as Wiccans in the 2001 census"

I think about 40,000 Brits indentified themselves as Jedi........... I wonder how the darkside will deal with that?

Rosie

Oh dear.
Super Moderator
Have the Jedi Ruined the British Census for Pagans?

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) in the UK is saying that the 2011 census may be the last of its kind, partially due to the quickly-shifting demographics of the nation, but also due to what they say are “prank” answers.

“Prank responses to questions that are perceived to be too intrusive have also knocked confidence in the current system. In 2001 — the first time a voluntary question was asked about faith — almost 400,000 people took inspiration from the Star Wars films to claim that their religion was “Jedi”. This was in addition to about 7,000 people who said that they were witches.”

Now I’m not going to get into a debate about whether the British Jedi are a “real” religion, or how many of the 400,000 were having a laugh, as opposed to being truly spiritually moved by the works of George Lucas. But it is troubling that Pagan Witchcraft, which has been around openly in the UK since the repeal of anti-Witchcraft laws in the 1950s, is being lumped into this “problem”. This development has inspired some unlikely defenders, like from Guardian columnist Tanya Gold.

“But still I feel an urge to defend the witches. Of all the silly religions – and I think that all religions are silly – I believe that witchcraft is the least dangerous and the most benign. It is also the least understood.”

Gold’s somewhat mocking and half-hearted defense of Witchcraft somewhat masks the larger problem here, which is that the 2011 census may be the last opportunity we get for a truly accurate count of Pagans in the UK. I’m sure we’ll soon hear from the Pagan Federation, and especially PEBBLE, who were trying to coordinate Pagan response to the 2011 census, on these developments soon. To replace a census with regular surveys could make data about religions far more unreliable, and mask the growth of minority religions in the UK.

Ok..catholic mass involves worhip of an image, smoke and incense, consumption of magic wafers and wine, chants in a dead language, costumes, reverence to a man in god's place, and magic water. Sounds pagan to me.

JPJ

Rookie
"Whether spellwork is effective or not," writes Dodd, according to The Telegraph, "has no bearing on the psychological damage that can be done to a young person who is convinced that they have summoned the dead, or have performed a spell that has hurt or injured another."
This woman needs lots of Red Bull and a Treadmill.

W

Witchfynde

Internet Warrior
Don't ya just love the Vatican ! he e he he he . Those " wiccans " out there - do us a favour and cast an evil spell the priests will HATE - turn them all straight !!! LOL

Pixiedust

Serial Killer has been made.....
Omfg.....im a Wiccan and have been practicing uh 30 plus years. What fucking dark side? We are peace seekers, and believe that everything has a soul and yes we do perform rituals, its no difference than a Catholic going to mass, or any other religion holding communion. We do not worship Satan but quite the opposite. We call upon the Archangels to protect us from evil. It takes an idiot to cry witch to start another Salem in this world. Im sure your god smiles on us for trying to protect Mother Earth and keep peace, but im sure he's frowning upon the priests and other so called church leaders who has preyed not prayed on children and sexually abusing them and ruining their lives.....sorry for venting but if you are curious about Wicca or Neopaganism please do research under Silver Ravenwolf.....this struck my inner core. :lala:

tracher999

fuck the system
Omfg.....im a Wiccan and have been practicing uh 30 plus years. What fucking dark side? We are peace seekers, and believe that everything has a soul and yes we do perform rituals, its no difference than a Catholic going to mass, or any other religion holding communion. We do not worship Satan but quite the opposite. We call upon the Archangels to protect us from evil. It takes an idiot to cry witch to start another Salem in this world. Im sure your god smiles on us for trying to protect Mother Earth and keep peace, but im sure he's frowning upon the priests and other so called church leaders who has preyed not prayed on children and sexually abusing them and ruining their lives.....sorry for venting but if you are curious about Wicca or Neopaganism please do research under Silver Ravenwolf.....this struck my inner core. :lala:

i was not saying that witches are for satan ore the dark side its just iff you not fit in the standart believes like cristian islam ore shit like that you are on a blacklist that was the thing i meant tnx for the info btw

greetz

ZenZaku

This user was banned
So magic, or the thought of using magic is sinful and is an attempt to usurp God? May I state that both Moses and Jesus used supernatural abilities that could easily be considered as magic yet Christianity chooses to use the word "Miracle" as if that changes the fact.

Back