Charlotte N C riots start after black man shot by police (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

msr

AHHHHH FUCK
A dozen police officers were injured Tuesday night in clashes with several hundred people protesting an officer-involved fatal shooting in the University City area.

The shooting follows a high-profile spate of police shootings of black men, which has led to protests from Ferguson, Mo., to Tulsa to Chicago and started the Black Lives Matter movement.

In Charlotte, a crowd of several hundred shouting protesters continued to block streets well after midnight, despite the use of tear gas by police in riot gear. Clouds of tear gas drifted over the crowd on Old Concord Road, and people coughed, hacked and fell back before walking towards police lines again multiple times.

The protesters also walked to nearby thoroughfares and disrupted traffic: By shortly before 3 a.m., the demonstrators had shut down all lanes of Interstate 85 northbound and started a fire on the highway, before being dispersed by police with nightsticks.

Throughout the night, protesters chanted slogans and held signs reading “Black Lives Matter” and “Stop Killing Us.” The scene was sometimes chaotic and tense, with water bottles and stones chucked at police lines, but many protesters called for peace and implored their fellow demonstrators not to act violently.

“Accountability!” one man shouted repeatedly at CMPD officers. “You don’t get to murder us and get away with it!” yelled another.

The protests began on Old Concord Road at Bonnie Lane, where a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer fatally shot a man in the parking lot of a University City apartment complex Tuesday afternoon.

The man who died was identified late Tuesday as Keith Lamont Scott, 43, and the officer who fired the fatal shot was CMPD Officer Brentley Vinson, a police statement said. Both men were African-American, a police source confirmed.

Police said they had been searching for someone who had an outstanding warrant at The Village at College Downs complex on Old Concord Road when they saw Scott leave his car holding a gun.

Officers approached Scott after he got back into the car. He emerged from the car again armed with a firearm “and posed an imminent deadly threat to the officers, who subsequently fired their weapon striking the subject,” police said in a statement. “The officers immediately requested Medic and began performing CPR.”

Medic took Scott to Carolinas Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Scott was not the person officers were searching for to arrest on the outstanding warrants, CMPD Chief Kerr Putney told reporters later.

Police said they recovered the firearm Scott was holding. But a woman who said she is Scott’s daughter claimed on a live-streamed video on Facebook that Scott was unarmed when he was shot. The video went viral, with more than 521,000 views by 9:30 p.m.

In the video, the woman said her father was sitting in his car reading a book and waiting for the school bus to drop off his son. She claimed that her father was Tasered and then shot four times, and that he was disabled.

“IT WAS A BOOK” one protester’s sign read.

Police declined to respond directly to the woman’s accusations.

The protesters began to gather as night fell, hours after the shooting. They held signs that said “Stop Killing Us” and “Black Lives Matter,” and they chanted “No justice, no peace.”

A CMPD helicopter circled very low over the crowd, shining a bright searchlight on the protesters. Old Concord Road was shut down. Some protesters began to throw water bottles and rocks.

Shortly before 11 p.m., police donned gas masks. Soon, clouds of tear gas bloomed in front of their lines.

Protesters damaged at least two CMPD vehicles, one cruiser and one SUV, which were removed from the scene. One officer was hit in the face with a rock, CMPD said. Observer news partner WBTV said three of its reporters were hit during the protest, and at least one went to the hospital after a blow to the head.

At one point, the crowd began pushing down the ramp from Old Concord to Harris Boulevard West, blocking the road. Police deployed tear gas on that road as well.

Not all the interactions were so tense. Around 1 a.m. Wednesday, police were seen handing bottles of water to the several dozen people who were still protesting.

Live Blog Protests erupt in Charlotte following fatal officer-involved shooting

Read more here: Protests erupt after fatal shooting by police; 12 officers injured

deviant2

hell is other people
357848-1-1.jpg

D.O.A.

We are Kings
http://videos.usatoday.net/Brightco...9/29906170001_5134690211001_5134690927001.mp4
Protesters (and agitators) block I85, break into trucks, start fires on highway, throw things from overpass onto cars, bust front doors at Wal Mart. etc etc etc.

That's disgraceful, according to my phone there was a rare pokemon in the flames, it's probably dead now.

Capture.JPG

Anyway long story short, when someone in my race is murdered by cops nothing pleases me more than stealing hair care products from walmart #ohlawd #blackhairmatters

Equal Hater

Unbannable by decree!
My question is was this man a suspect of any crime at the time he was approached? Other than an old lady making a 911 call doing some old lady blabbing, what exactly did the officers saw to have any probable cause and handle the situation the way they did? I was reading about some statements the female officer put out there saying she was scared shitless. Scared of a dude with his hands up and not communicating? Did she know he was on drugs or was he suffering some sort of medical emergency like an embolism or a stroke where some symptoms are speech problems and irrational conduct? Is she properly trained to recognize any of these or is she just justified to shoot an unarmed man because he is a male, black and not responding to her instructions?

Wayne Kerr

a fuck off is always acceptable*
This user was banned
My question is was this man a suspect of any crime at the time he was approached? Other than an old lady making a 911 call doing some old lady blabbing, what exactly did the officers saw to have any probable cause and handle the situation the way they did? I was reading about some statements the female officer put out there saying she was scared shitless. Scared of a dude with his hands up and not communicating? Did she know he was on drugs or was he suffering some sort of medical emergency like an embolism or a stroke where some symptoms are speech problems and irrational conduct? Is she properly trained to recognize any of these or is she just justified to shoot an unarmed man because he is a male, black and not responding to her instructions?
no, he was broken down on that road. her lawyers first excuse was that he wasnt obeying commands. when that was shot down, he came back and said she had just taken drug use awareness training and she thought he was on pcp. they claim they found pcp in his car, but that story will change like the first one. theyll keep making excuses til someone else gets killed next week and everyone forgets this one.

Equal Hater

Unbannable by decree!
no, he was broken down on that road. her lawyers first excuse was that he wasnt obeying commands. when that was shot down, he came back and said she had just taken drug use awareness training and she thought he was on pcp. they claim they found pcp in his car, but that story will change like the first one. theyll keep making excuses til someone else gets killed next week and everyone forgets this one.

I wonder who the hell told these dickwits cops they can fatally wound someone that has committed no crime simply because they think they look like they are on drugs. So can I shoot and kill someone randomly because I think they might be on drugs and might harm someone? Do I get to do some justified murdering by shooting a dude drinking a beer in a bar because he might get into a car and might run someone over? I mean their weak attempt to justify these actions by police officers are beyond stupid. They are just too fucking loose with their trigger finger and they need to get a grip on wtf they are doing.

kevin kirk

Forum Veteran
I wonder who the hell told these dickwits cops they can fatally wound someone that has committed no crime simply because they think they look like they are on drugs. So can I shoot and kill someone randomly because I think they might be on drugs and might harm someone? Do I get to do some justified murdering by shooting a dude drinking a beer in a bar because he might get into a car and might run someone over? I mean their weak attempt to justify these actions by police officers are beyond stupid. They are just too fucking loose with their trigger finger and they need to get a grip on wtf they are doing.
.....listen and do what the cop is telling you and you wont get hurt. Its that goddam simple.

Equal Hater

Unbannable by decree!
.....listen and do what the cop is telling you and you wont get hurt. Its that goddam simple.

First, you have not realized some medical conditions would impair you from understanding and/or following directions. They did not know if he suffered from any of those. Second, if I am not suspected of committing a crime I don't have to listen to whatever the fuck they tell me. Rules apply to those fucks too, you know? I don't have to follow orders or commands if I have done nothing wrong and they can't give me any orders if there is no probable cause for them to do so. He was not detained. We citizens of this country don't have to do a fucking thing they say if we haven't committed a crime. Now you can choose to be sheep and play to every one of their desires and bullshit because you are a sheep but you got rights and what they have done here is absolute abuse of power. This guy was murdered.

kevin kirk

Forum Veteran
First, you have not realized some medical conditions would impair you from understanding and/or following directions. They did not know if he suffered from any of those. Second, if I am not suspected of committing a crime I don't have to listen to whatever the fuck they tell me. Rules apply to those fucks too, you know? I don't have to follow orders or commands if I have done nothing wrong and they can't give me any orders if there is no probable cause for them to do so. He was not detained. We citizens of this country don't have to do a fucking thing they say if we haven't committed a crime. Now you can choose to be sheep and play to every one of their desires and bullshit because you are a sheep but you got rights and what they have done here is absolute abuse of power. This guy was murdered.
....Did you just say you want 321 million people that are in this country living life with that logic? You already see a small number thinking that way, having that attitude, and parts of the country is literally burning to the ground. I'm all for being against "the man". I also have enough understanding that enforcing laws are a must for a civilized society. There are plenty of shit holes in the world where laws are not enforced you can go. Allthough i would bet once your there, you would realize how good you had it in the U.S. were laws and the people enforced those laws. Protected you from people that have that very logic you seem to enjoy having. Also, it's suppose to work in a way to prevent crimes before they happen. Not reacting only after crimes has already happen. So its silly to stand on the point of only after people have commited a crime, should they be questoned or investigated. The damage is already done to the crime victim at that point. Once again, listen to what the cop is telling you. It doesnt get any more simple than that.

Wayne Kerr

a fuck off is always acceptable*
This user was banned
....Did you just say you want 321 million people that are in this country living life with that logic? You already see a small number thinking that way, having that attitude, and parts of the country is literally burning to the ground. I'm all for being against "the man". I also have enough understanding that enforcing laws are a must for a civilized society. There are plenty of shit holes in the world where laws are not enforced you can go. Allthough i would bet once your there, you would realize how good you had it in the U.S. were laws and the people enforced those laws. Protected you from people that have that very logic you seem to enjoy having. Also, it's suppose to work in a way to prevent crimes before they happen. Not reacting only after crimes has already happen. So its silly to stand on the point of only after people have commited a crime, should they be questoned or investigated. The damage is already done to the crime victim at that point. Once again, listen to what the cop is telling you. It doesnt get any more simple than that.
what if the cop is wrong? ive had cops pull me over and scream at me "youre on meth I can tell" because im skinny, heavily tattooed, and drive a beater. another time they didn't even bother to say anything and just pulled me out of my truck and threw me in the back of their squad car. then they proceeded to go through every crack and crevice including all the clothes in my backpack, broke the zipper on my board bag and threw it all unceremoniously into the bed of my pickup. after they didnt find anything, they came back and made me roll up my sleeves to see if i had any tracks, desperate. after i came back all clean and clear they suggested i snitch, gave me his card and let me go.

Equal Hater

Unbannable by decree!

My friend, I have lived in lawless shitholes for close to two decades so I understand what it is to live there. I also understand how much better the US is compared to those places. I also happen to know the rights people living in this country have, and what the law of this country says. You can't be detained or questioned without probable cause. You don't have to even identify yourself unless you are suspected of committing a crime. Cops don't have the right to shoot you and kill you because you might be suspected to be on drugs. Cops can't shoot you and kill you because you refuse to follow commands they have no right to deliver to you. They have to establish probable cause of you committing a crime. The can only shoot you in self defense, and this guy was unarmed and walking. As far as I know having a disable vehicle in the middle of the road is not a crime, so unless they consider being black and walking with your hands up some sort of felony they don't have a leg to stand on. I've told cops to get the fuck out of my property or I was gonna contact the district attorney and press charges against their department when they harassed me, and they did so because they knew I was aware they were breaking the law by coming to me with bullshit. So we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I hope you never find yourself at the wrong end of a weapon being held by a stupid, trigger happy cop.

Back