Coins found buried in Welsh field turn out to be 2,000-year-old Roman treasure (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
71301319007-1901-top-of-the-hoard.jpeg

A cache of old coins found in a Welsh field were determined to be about 2,000 years old, according to the experts who analyzed them and believe the treasure was buried during the Roman Empire.

David Moss and Tom Taylor were using metal detectors in December 2018 when they found two hoards of ancient coins in Caerhun Community, Conwy, north of Wales. Four years later, Kate Robertson, Assistant Coroner for North Wales, declared the two hoards of coins as treasure, according to a news release from Cymru Museum.

The first hoard found consisted of 2,733 coins composed of silver denarii and stamped between 32 BC and AD 235, as well as silver and copper-alloy coins made between AD 215 and 270. The second hoard contained 37 silver coins that date back between 32 BC and AD 221, according to the museum

Moss explained that he and Taylor had just started using the metal detector and were surprised to find the ancient Roman treasure.

On the day of discovery, just before Christmas 2018, it was raining heavily, so I took a look at Tom and made my way across the field towards him to tell him to call it a day on the detecting when all of a sudden, I accidentally clipped a deep object making a signal," Moss said. "It was a huge surprise when I dug down and eventually revealed the top of the vessel that held the coins."

From old coins to Roman treasure​

Moss and Taylor carefully dug out the hoards and wrapped them in bandages. They then reported their findings to Dr Susie White, the Finds Officer for the Portable Antiquities, according to the museum. According to the museum, the coins were cleaned of any remaining soil and identified the hoards at Amgueddfa Cymru – Museum Wales.

Discovery (observation)
Add Topic
WORLD

Coins found buried in Welsh field turn out to be 2,000-year-old Roman treasure​

Zoe Wells
USA TODAY

Large Roman coin hoard found in ceramic vessel.

A cache of old coins found in a Welsh field were determined to be about 2,000 years old, according to the experts who analyzed them and believe the treasure was buried during the Roman Empire.
David Moss and Tom Taylor were using metal detectors in December 2018 when they found two hoards of ancient coins in Caerhun Community, Conwy, north of Wales. Four years later, Kate Robertson, Assistant Coroner for North Wales, declared the two hoards of coins as treasure, according to a news release from Cymru Museum.

The first hoard found consisted of 2,733 coins composed of silver denarii and stamped between 32 BC and AD 235, as well as silver and copper-alloy coins made between AD 215 and 270. The second hoard contained 37 silver coins that date back between 32 BC and AD 221, according to the museum
Moss explained that he and Taylor had just started using the metal detector and were surprised to find the ancient Roman treasure.

"On the day of discovery, just before Christmas 2018, it was raining heavily, so I took a look at Tom and made my way across the field towards him to tell him to call it a day on the detecting when all of a sudden, I accidentally clipped a deep object making a signal," Moss said. "It was a huge surprise when I dug down and eventually revealed the top of the vessel that held the coins."

Moss and Taylor carefully dug out the hoards and wrapped them in bandages. They then reported their findings to Dr Susie White, the Finds Officer for the Portable Antiquities, according to the museum. According to the museum, the coins were cleaned of any remaining soil and identified the hoards at Amgueddfa Cymru – Museum Wales.

After CT scans, photographs, and 3D models, researchers got a better idea of the material of the coins and its origins.
Researchers concluded that the large hoard of coins were buried during the Roman Empire with the larger hoard dated near AD 270 and the smaller believed to have been buried near AD 220.
Moss and Taylor found the coins close to the remains of a Roman building. Researchers believed the building was possibly a temple dating back to the third century AD. Researchers believe they were buried there for religious purposes like an offering or to keep safe or that the coins may have belonged to a soldier at a nearby Roman fort of Canovium.

71301320007-1903-group.jpeg

Discovery (observation)
Add Topic
WORLD

Zoe Wells
USA TODAY

"On the day of discovery, just before Christmas 2018, it was raining heavily, so I took a look at Tom and made my way across the field towards him to tell him to call it a day on the detecting when all of a sudden, I accidentally clipped a deep object making a signal," Moss said. "It was a huge surprise when I dug down and eventually revealed the top of the vessel that held the coins."

After CT scans, photographs, and 3D models, researchers got a better idea of the material of the coins and its origins.
Researchers concluded that the large hoard of coins were buried during the Roman Empire with the larger hoard dated near AD 270 and the smaller believed to have been buried near AD 220.
Moss and Taylor found the coins close to the remains of a Roman building. Researchers believed the building was possibly a temple dating back to the third century AD. Researchers believe they were buried there for religious purposes like an offering or to keep safe or that the coins may have belonged to a soldier at a nearby Roman fort of Canovium.

Where will the treasure go?​

Llandudno Museum will keep the treasure with support from the Conwy Culture Centre and Amgueddfa Cymru. The treasure will join all the collections from Canovium Fort on display at Llandudno Museum.
Dawn Lancaster, Director of Amgueddfa Llandudno Museum, said it is exciting that they will keep the treasure and display it for the world to see.
"The opportunity to purchase these important coin hoards associated with Kanovium Roman Fort will allow future generations to see and experience a significant collection of ancient silver coins dating from 32BC and representing 50 rulers."

rottenfresh

ummmmm, You smell that?
View attachment 719547

On the day of discovery, just before Christmas 2018, it was raining heavily, so I took a look at Tom and made my way across the field towards him to tell him to call it a day on the detecting when all of a sudden, I accidentally clipped a deep object making a signal," Moss said. "It was a huge surprise when I dug down and eventually revealed the top of the vessel that held the coins."

Discovery (observation)
Add Topic
WORLD

Zoe Wells
USA TODAY

View attachment 719548

Discovery (observation)
Add Topic
WORLD

Zoe Wells
USA TODAY

Where will the treasure go?​

Llandudno Museum will keep the treasure with support from the Conwy Culture Centre and Amgueddfa Cymru. The treasure will join all the collections from Canovium Fort on display at Llandudno Museum.
Dawn Lancaster, Director of Amgueddfa Llandudno Museum, said it is exciting that they will keep the treasure and display it for the world to see.
"The opportunity to purchase these important coin hoards associated with Kanovium Roman Fort will allow future generations to see and experience a significant collection of ancient silver coins dating from 32BC and representing 50 rulers."

Now that's a big BOOTY!!💵💵💵💵:ass:

Last edited:

Adam_Zapple

Well Known Member
A nice pay day just in time for Christmas. Shame the owner of the field automatically gets a half of everything, just because it's his field. The other 2 will share 25% each, even though they did the work.

Back