CSIRO uses old TV channels for wireless internet

D.O.A.

These are great days we're living, bros
Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) has invented new wireless internet technology that will give people in remote areas faster broadband by using old analog TV channels.

It is designed to fill the gap in the National Broadband Network (NBN), where some homes and businesses are too remote to be connected to optic fibre. Although the wireless connection will never reach the same speeds as optic fibre, it will be a dramatic improvement over current wireless technology.

The CSIRO says the technology can reach speeds 100 to 200 times the speed of dial-up internet.

The technology is called Ngara, which is an Aboriginal word meaning listen, hear and think. CSIRO's Dr Ian Oppermann says Ngara works by using old analog TV channels to make a fast connection to the internet.

The CSIRO hopes to eventually combine four analog TV channels and provide a wireless connection speed of 100 megabits per second. But for the moment it is staying at 12 megabits per second.

The development of Ngara has been funded by the proceeds of another one of the CSIRO's wireless inventions, WiFi. The CSIRO has been paid $205 million from companies that had been using the popular wireless technology without paying for it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/11/03/3056497.htm?section=justin

OP
D.O.A.

D.O.A.

They've invented internet through your old TV aerial, seen as we went digital and the whole analog TV signal is being phased out. This is pretty awesome for people who cant even get a copper phone line out in the bush, rather then buy a mega expensive sat connections. 12mbps is a decent speed too.

They've invented internet through your old TV aerial, seen as we went digital and the whole analog TV signal is being phased out. This is pretty awesome for people who cant even get a copper phone line out in the bush, rather then buy a mega expensive sat connections. 12mbps is a decent speed too.
I dont live in the bush but have ^^ those troubles. Would be super if they sell the tech to my country.

OP
D.O.A.

D.O.A.

I dont live in the bush but have ^^ those troubles. Would be super if they sell the tech to my country.
Knowing the CSIRO they'll distribute the tech "freely" like WiFi was, wait a few years then sue for hundreds of millions (and win) when its a commercial success. So yeah you'll get it :D