Currently Reading...

McM

Krautnigger
Every Man Dies Alone (US) / Alone in Berlin (UK) by the same author.
About the snitching, suppressing and system of fear and blackmailing in Berlin during WW2 by the authorities. Nobody was safe, even not the Gestapo, SS and police members themselves. Horrible.

Last edited:

McM

Krautnigger
A collection of Biblical Apocrypha. Because of curiosity, found it in the basement.
Whose book could that be, no one of the family was religious..

McM

Krautnigger
Essay about Roman military laws, quotations are in Latin. Wtf.. it's 40 years ago. But interesting, the evolution of the laws and punishments over the centuries, often executed by the legionnaires themseves.

(I could bet I've posted this already yesterday... strange)

McM

Krautnigger
First part of the 'Giants' series, 'Inherit the Stars' by James P. Hogan. Great science fiction, written in '77.
I'll look for all of his books now.

Be happy⚕

Vacant, Composed
Rereading Carl jungs man and his symbols.
And on the train reading Paulo coehlo - the alchemist
Man and his symbols is great ofcourse
The alchemist is shite other than one paragraph but I'll persist

Be happy⚕

Vacant, Composed
What's shite with 'The Alchimist'?
To be fair I'm only half way through and there's nothing really wrong with the book so to speak.. but nothing "enthralling"
Definitely a book I'm struggling to finish.

I think for me it's just because the book is trying too hard to be esoteric, deept and transcendental whilst not really being able to back it up.
When I finish I'll give you a proper report, it's highly rated but.. skirts around it's own topics with a very very predictable storyline.
Feels like self help fiction.

There's a nice paragraph about how the shepherds flock have become so reliant on him that they're dependent, because he privipro all they need they can no longer live on their instincts, he loves and hates them since if he wanted to "I could kill this whole flock and they wouldn't even notice until most of them were already dead"
Which for me is just
Human population in conparicom to welfare state and government
But.. so far that's the most poignant moment (I haven't read it for the past two days)

P.s
Noticed you've read some of Alexander Solzhenitsyn's stuff. Any recommendations similar to the archipelagos or the first circle?

McM

Krautnigger
archipelagos or the first circle
No, that's all that I read from him so far I can remember.

I read 'The Alchemist' several times, I like stories from the medieval as a topic. But I don't analyze a fictional book it's just entertainment for me, so it was quite good for my taste. After 4 months I have forgotten the most anyway and can read it again.

Last edited:

Be happy⚕

Vacant, Composed
No, that's all that I read from him so far I can remember.

I read 'The Alchemist' several times, I like stories from the medieval as a topic. But I don't analyze a fictional book it's just entertainment for me, so it was quite good for my taste. After 4 months I have forgotten the most anyway and can read it again.
See that's it.. if I'd went into it like that I'd probably have really enjoyed it. But I only bought it..
I typed "life changing books" into Google and it came up as number 3...
Set my expectations too high :/

Reactions: McM