Doomsday: How BP Gulf disaster may have triggered a 'world-killing' event (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

wino

DILLIGAF
Doomsday: How BP Gulf disaster may have triggered a 'world-killing' event

Ominous reports are leaking past the BP Gulf salvage operation news blackout that the disaster unfolding in the Gulf of Mexico may be about to reach biblical proportions.

251 million years ago a mammoth undersea methane bubble caused massive explosions, poisoned the atmosphere and destroyed more than 96 percent of all life on Earth. [1] Experts agree that what is known as the Permian extinction event was the greatest mass extinction event in the history of the world.
55 million years later another methane bubble ruptured causing more mass extinctions during the Late Paleocene Thermal Maximum.
Those subterranean seas of methane virtually reshaped the planet when they explosively blew from deep beneath the waters of what is today called the Gulf of Mexico.

Now, worried scientists are increasingly concerned the same series of catastrophic events that led to worldwide death back then may be happening again-and no known technology can stop it.

The bottom line: BP’s Deepwater Horizon drilling operation may have triggered an irreversible, cascading geological Apocalypse that will culminate with the first mass extinction of life on Earth in many millions of years.

The oil giant drilled down miles into a geologically unstable region and may have set the stage for the eventual premature release of a methane mega-bubble.

Ryskin’s methane extinction theory

Northwestern University's Gregory Ryskin, a bio-chemical engineer, has a theory: The oceans periodically produce massive eruptions of explosive methane gas. He has documented the scientific evidence that such an event was directly responsible for the mass extinctions that occurred 55 million years ago.

more . ...http://www.helium.com/items/1882339...ster-may-have-triggered-a-world-killing-event

Keef

here we go again
wino dont worry about beefburger ..he dont know his asshole from his dickhole ...lol

Blaine

Expostulator
Oppressor
Administrator
Beefenstein;9092 said:
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Think again. Outlandish ideas exactly like the above sometimes turn out to be scientific fact.

Google "Lake Nyos." There are a few such lakes around the world: Fed by or carbon dioxide-rich streams or contributed to by a volcano, they accumulate tons of carbon dioxide gas at their bottoms, not unlike a bottle of soda.

Eventually, the gas reaches critical mass and the lakes explode, sending a huge cloud of deadly carbon dioxide over the landscape — killing animals, birds, and human beings in its wake.

Scientists ridiculed this theory in its early stages, until it was proven as fact.

The ocean is no different. Like one of the CO2 lakes, the ocean can hold gases on its bed, trapped by various geological features... and when the gases reach critical mass, they will explode. It's very basic physics, and the methane itself comes from fish, marine animals, marine waste (fish poop), and rotting corpses.

Blaine

Expostulator
Oppressor
Administrator
However, as for the BP leak actually causing a methane explosion... yeah, that's stupid. Scare tactics.

But the explosions themselves are not just tomfoolery.

The reason it's deadly is also quite simple: Oxygen-breathing creatures surrounded by a cloud of pure methane will asphyxiate and die.

Yamamoto McMotoyama-san

Cock Danger
This user was banned
Suicide Boy;9105 said:
Think again. Outlandish ideas exactly like the above sometimes turn out to be scientific fact.

I am not considering the idea outlandish, I am saying that a methane bubble large enough to end the world resulting from this oil spill is simply laughable, not to mention impossible. The scenario has already been disproven by science. Read this

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upsho...wiped-out-by-a-bp-induced-methane-eruption-no

If you disagree, then I am not sure where you get your "facts" from. This end of days apocalyptica may seem interesting to you, but it's both unreasonable and is a case of fear-mongering at its finest to blow this shit out of proportion and claim it as a matter of "scientific fact" without looking at the facts. That being said, feel free to believe what you wish.

I've got a methane bubble in my colon right now that could end civilization as we know it....just sayin

wino

DILLIGAF
I dare you to light it ! but b4 you do let me know where to look on the horizon for the flash

Beefenstein;9132 said:
Yea go ahead and take out North Korea please, Rev. Nuclear Fallout Korea is BEST Korea.

agreed, but those fuckers have a defensive wall of Kimuchi breath that is impenetrable to even the most robust bunker busters

Blaine

Expostulator
Oppressor
Administrator
Beefenstein;9112 said:

...As I've stated very clearly once already, in my second post in this thread, I don't believe the BP oil spill itself is likely to be the catalyst for a methane explosion. I called the notion "scare tactics."

However, you were pretty unspecific when you said, "This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

I suppose you were referring to the BP connection, because oceanic methane explosions themselves are quite plausible, albeit not yet proven as fact beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions about what you meant, but then again, in the future you might also wish to be more specific... rather than simply posting the equivalent of, "That's retarded."

:smoke:

Blaine

Expostulator
Oppressor
Administrator
Who the fuck is Beefenstein again anyway? God damn, I don't even remember at this point.

Yamamoto McMotoyama-san

Cock Danger
This user was banned
Suicide Boy;9158 said:
...As I've stated very clearly once already, in my second post in this thread, I don't believe the BP oil spill itself is likely to be the catalyst for a methane explosion. I called the notion "scare tactics."

Yes but I didn't read your second response. I read the first one. I would say that it's rather difficult to see where you stand in all of this when you offer 2 contradicting views... in which response are you playing devils advocate?

However, you were pretty unspecific when you said, "This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

Yes, I know. It is quite literally one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. It still is. I don't expect this to change.

I suppose you were referring to the BP connection, because oceanic methane explosions themselves are quite plausible, albeit not yet proven as fact beyond a shadow of a doubt.

No one is making the case that oceanic methane explosions are implausible. Please point out anywhere in this thread where I disagreed with this point. Again, the whole point of the opening post implicates the BP leakage in a methane bubble capable of causing a WORLD KILLING EVENT. Keep in mind that this is what the thread is about, after all.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions about what you meant, but then again, in the future you might also wish to be more specific... rather than simply posting the equivalent of, "That's retarded."

You didn't have to respond to my post. No one was pointing a gun to your head. :woot:
:smoke:

Blaine

Expostulator
Oppressor
Administrator
Beefenstein;9161 said:
Yes, I know. It is quite literally one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. It still is. I don't expect this to change.

Well, we should all be used to it by now. Retarded apocalyptic theories are pretty much everywhere you look nowadays, even the news (like this BP spill nonsense, for example).

Besides, I wouldn't want the world to end due to a supervolcano or methane bubble. I'd much prefer nuclear destruction, with biological or chemical devastation coming in a distant second, and asteroids and shit somewhere near the bottom of the list.

dirty

Rookie
Suicide Boy;9159 said:
Who the fuck is Beefenstein again anyway? God damn, I don't even remember at this point.
He will give you the beef stick up the bum and refresh your memory fag boy ..

Back