Enjoy :) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rigor79

Sir_Mortis
This user was banned
Source & Credits: here

Voynv.jpg

In the first picture we have a couple of B-17s flying at altitude. The con trails suggest at least 30,000 feet.

BXe1t.jpg

The second picture is likely the Hindenburg, somewhere over Europe.

CZ1gE.jpg

In the third picture there is a flight of B-24 Liberators over Germany. Though less well-known than the B-17, the B-24 arguably carried more total payload over the course of the war. It wasn't as rugged or well-defended, but it had a higher payload.

4la7t.jpg

shows us an iconic image from the Normandy landings. American infantry (identified by their helmets) storm Omaha beach from a Landing Craft (likely LCVP, outside chance of LCI.)

jpCki.jpg

these black men almost certainly served in a secondary role (logistics) throughout the war. On the one hand, it's an incredibly shameful thing to draft men and send them to war while denying them rights at home, on the other hand it also helped spur the civil rights movement. Black troops were kept away from combat not just because white troops didn't want to fight beside them, but also because by engaging in combat they'd prove that they were just as capable and committed as whites.

xuT7d.jpg

the laser-light show are actually long-exposure tracers. Likely on an island in the Pacific, as suggested by the telling cockpit and long nose of the Vought F4U Corsair.

K0JLX.jpg

American troops raising the flag on Iwo Jima. Arguably the most famous image of the war in American minds, it was taken by famed war photographer Joe Rosenthal - and almost didn't happen because someone wasn't paying attention :)

3MQTN.jpg

USS Franklin after being hit by several Japanese bombs in March 1945. I think it was the single biggest loss of men on an American ship (and almost certainly American carrier) in American naval history. Over 700 men died and the ship was a mangled ruin that still managed to sail home.

I0aCW.jpg

Hitler and Ernst Rohm, leader of the SA ("brownshirts"), obviously some time before the Night of Long Knives, when Hitler and Himmler purged the SA. I'm having a hard time placing and dating the picture

z5OR5.jpg

Heinkel He-162 Volksjäger. Designed to be a cheap and relatively easy to learn jet fighter. It would have been a better fighter aircraft than the Me-262 (more maneuverable and better acceleration and climb rate) but without the firepower necessary to bring down bombers quickly (the 262 was armed with 4 30mm Mk 108 cannons. It shredded anything it hit. The Heinkel, meanwhile, could carry 2 at most and was probably going into production with 20mm cannons that had better velocity and range, good for engaging fighters and smaller bombers.)

DS6Vy.jpg

either Utah or Omaha beach, at most a couple of weeks after D-Day.

7S7F7.jpg

I'm quite uncertain about this, but it appears as if this is an Opel Blitz truck that was bombed or shelled by a fairly large high explosive round. The soldier on the ground would be German. (edit - Osiris32 corrects me that this is likely a result of strafing with machine guns/cannon).

Ee7LD.jpg

An iconic (at the time) scene from the 1935 Nuremberg rally.

Oj076.jpg

Nuremberg 1935, at night.

wdMWJ.jpg

aO4p7.jpg

ogkiW.jpg

N7urD.jpg

zm9uS.jpg

aaSyW.jpg

Poacher

Pula de cal
Great content.
The aircraft with part of its wing missing and upside down looks like a good pic.

PinkE

Hypocrisy is the homage vice pays to virtue
My favorite is the bottom, cause that guy's face. If I got to shoot that gun. That's an OOOO ohhhh face. I didn't read the captions because idk what to believe about WW2 but his face in that pic?

Be happy⚕

Vacant, Composed
Brilliant thread, much respect..
Probably not the one expected to say this..
The picture of the black with the Easter eggs for Hitler gave me quite a smile, really good picture.

Whilst simultaneously..
The picture of Hitler with the SA.. there's something powerful about it, the raised ✋ is quite evocative to me

Love this set
Nice image of ol' Franklin too

Back