Facebook is slowly eating your phone’s operating system (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

D.O.A.

We are Kings
I was lucky enough to recently get hold of a new samsung s6, I was surprised facebook wasn't pre-installed on it, maybe the manufacturers are waking up to the fact they're trying to borg assimilate the whole fucking thing into a giant like button.

Take a look at your iPhone. Chances are, the lockscreen is probably cluttered with notifications about e-mail, news, weather and other information. All of these notifications are produced by separate apps, built by separate developers, and all routed through Apple's iOS.

Now, Facebook wants to take all that information and route it through a platform it controls instead: Notify, an app that's purpose-built to send you notifications.

With Notify, you subscribe to various "channels" that provide you with information you might otherwise get via someone else's app. Want CNN breaking news alerts? You can get those through Notify by toggling a setting. Want sports scores? You can get those through Notify, too. Updates about the new Star Wars movie trailer? Yep. Just make sure Fandango is enabled in Notify.

Notify isn't just a bid to get you more information, faster. What it really stands for is an attempt by Facebook to become the dominant interface for your own smartphone.

By now, you're probably familiar with Facebook's overall strategy, which is to ensure that consumers spend as much of their Internet time on Facebook. This leads to more user engagement with Facebook, which means more ad revenue, which means a stronger business. Facebook has an incentive to keep you on its social network, or on properties associated with the social network, as much as possible.

In an ideal world, perhaps, Facebook would sell tablets and smartphones that would keep you within the company's ecosystem all the time, feeding information back to the mothership about your online activity. But that would be expensive, and besides, companies like Apple are already the best at producing hardware.

Facebook is slowly eating your phone’s operating system

Nex

You've Heard It All Before
Facebook is the new AOL, only slower to die.

Never had it on my phone, never will. I think Google+ is just as bad, if not worse than Facebook when it comes to this.

D.O.A.

We are Kings
Facebook is the new AOL, only slower to die.

Never had it on my phone, never will. I think Google+ is just as bad, if not worse than Facebook when it comes to this.

I hear that, but even so we all bought into android so we're more or less fucked for choice unless you want something inferior, like an iphone. *ducks*.

Facebook is just way too fucking spammy, I was buying LED chips from dhgate in china from my phone, I go to facebook for the shitty page I put up there ages ago on my desktop PC, and facebook shows me ads for more fucking LED's from dhgate. I don't want those faggots sifting through my phone data - I'm fine with google believe it or not - even though I don't use social media, google has good products and apps. Facebook is narcissistic trash populated by left wing scum, like twitter.

Back