Florida Cam. Watch Hatching and Raising of Bald Eagles (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Drives backwards

It's exactly the same, but totally different
If this can bring attention to what poisons of any kind does, then it's accomplishing an important thing! Remember the DDT troubles in the 60's and 70's? It was decimating the raptors almost to extinction! It was first noticed in the Ospreys but DDT then started filtering into the Bald Eagles and other birds of prey. It was making the egg shells so thin. The parents were breaking the eggs before they could hatch. It almost drove some birds of prey to extinction! Now we are here again, with another "seemingly" innocent way to deal with rodent infestation. Whenever chemicals made by man, are toxic enough to kill one life form, then it's a given it can affect more. Add to that it doesn't break down, now you've set it up for the destruction of many untargeted species to be affected. When there are alternatives to poisons and the greed of men becomes more important than the lives of nature, we are in the end, killing ourselves! Learn from your past or you are destined to repeat it!
Thank you deviant2 for bringing such an important topic to light!!

Drives backwards

A few years ago, there was a pair of nesting Bald Eagles close by here. We had a late season snow storm and the parents stayed on the nest! The mother Eagle sat the eggs right through the storm and was totally, out of sight buried under about a foot of snow!! The nest cameras caught the whole thing. It was feared by all that, not only were the eggs going to be ruined, but that the dedication of the parent birds would kill them! Then, after a few days, there was movement and the parents broke through the covering snow!! Not only were they still alive, but their extreme dedication to the babies was SO strong that they saved the eggs and a few weeks later two healthy, HUNGRY baby Eaglets were born! Yet another miracle of nature. If I can find information about it, I'll post it here. Much good to you for your love of nature deviant2!!
I'm going to see if I can find information about the Eagles in that snow storm.

deviant2

hell is other people
A few years ago, there was a pair of nesting Bald Eagles close by here. We had a late season snow storm and the parents stayed on the nest! The mother Eagle sat the eggs right through the storm and was totally, out of sight buried under about a foot of snow!! The nest cameras caught the whole thing. It was feared by all that, not only were the eggs going to be ruined, but that the dedication of the parent birds would kill them! Then, after a few days, there was movement and the parents broke through the covering snow!! Not only were they still alive, but their extreme dedication to the babies was SO strong that they saved the eggs and a few weeks later two healthy, HUNGRY baby Eaglets were born! Yet another miracle of nature. If I can find information about it, I'll post it here. Much good to you for your love of nature deviant2!!
I'm going to see if I can find information about the Eagles in that snow storm.
I think that is the President and First Lady's nest in DC? There's a few in cold weather states though, so I could be wrong.

Drives backwards

Now, if you REALLY want to be surprised! There are two Bald Eagles nesting right around the corner from me! I don't know if there is a camera on that nest, but both Eagles OFTEN feed in my very yard!!! True story and I'll back it with pictures when I can get some. I very often feed the crows and hawks in the area with table scraps. Not very unusual for animals to get run over on the country road in front of my property. Instead of leaving the carcass in the road that has in the past led to other animals feeding on the remains getting killed as well, I go out and throw the dead animal in the field across the street from me. Before she past away, my wife was finally able to see one of the Eagles close up! There had been a cat killed and I didn't want it to keep getting run over, so I carried it off the road a few feet. It was actually a safe distance away from the road and was soon spotted by a few Turkey Buzzards. As I watched them gain "pecking order" literally, all of a sudden ALL of them broke camp!!! LOL. Then one of the Bald Eagles landed right on the cat!! There was no argument from the buzzards! LOL. The Eagle laid claim and I brought my very sick wife to see. She was amazed at how beautiful and huge the Eagle was! It was powerful and majestic and it really gave her something important! It was only about 60 feet away and was very wary of everything. You could tell it wasn't comfortable with the accommodations. As my Isabella watched, the Eagle took the cat a little further into the field. Before I could get any pictures, someone stopped on the road and got out of their car. The Eagle didn't like that and so grabbed the cat in it's talons and split the scene! I'm so glad my Isabella got to see that before she left me. Even though my wife was a cat lover, she understood the Eagle didn't kill this one and feeding on it was only natural. She left me at home a few weeks later quietly while in bed. The Eagle still comes here. I like to think her spirit is with those magnificent birds. I know, I'm silly, but it gives me a sense of peace.
If I can get some pix, I will post them. I usually don't bother any of them when they are here because I like them knowing it's a safe place. But if I can get some pix without bothering them too much, I'll put them here.

Much love to you deviant2 for your love of these beautiful beings 😊💕

deviant2

hell is other people
That's a wonderful story. They are stunning and so much bigger than you imagine, unless you are blessed enough to see one up close. I see them quite often, they ride the drafts with the vultures. Sometimes all it takes is looking up to see what's around. There's an osprey nest up on a light pole at the ball field where I run my dog. The pair have been there for years, so I thought. The other day they were fussing and carrying on, buzzing the nest... turns out a pair of GHO have taken over the nest. I can see one of them pop up and watch the dog as she runs around. I tried to take a picture, but it's a big nest and way up there.

deviant2

hell is other people
20200217_101806.jpg

You can just make out that unmistakable owl head.

deviant2

hell is other people
The eagle world is a buzz, let me tell ya. There's another nest here, up in the northern part of the state that is on cam also. Last year, while there were 2 eggs in the nest, the Mom went missing and Dad was left to do it all... a very difficult task, that doesn't end well in most cases. Out of nowhere a female started showing up and slowly but surely started to tend to the eggs and nest. The first few times she tried incubating were tough because she didn't have a brood patch or experience. But by God she managed it, those eggers hatched and fledged. They are a mated couple this season, and she has new eggs of her very own.
I'm editing this post because I've mixed up nests, stories and combined them. Reading and watching over the years, I forget who does what unless it's Harriet and M... sorry bout that.

Ok, so... The NEFL nest was occupied by Romeo and Juliet for 10 seasons. Last year with 2 eggs already in the nest, Juliet was injured and run off by another female(no one knows if she lived or not). Romeo did his best to keep things together and was in fact visited by another female that I mentioned who tried to help him along. It's believed that this female was not the one who fought with Juliet because if it was, she would've out right disposed of the eggs by eating them or at the very least tossing them over the side. Romeo managed to hatch one, but very shortly after while the nest was unprotected another eagle came and grabbed the baby, probably the female who hurt and chased off Juliet. Romeo forfeited the nest after that, flew away and hasn't been seen. Perhaps he's with his Juliet, I hope for that anyway.
Now, Romeo and Juliet had 19 eaglets over 10 seasons very successfully, except for that last little baby. Two of those were named Samson and Delilah, they hatched and fledged in the season of 2013.

The beginning of this season... Samson showed up at the nest and started restoring it, claiming the territory. They know it's him from identifying marks and feathers. A female began showing up shortly after his arrival. They've named her Gabrielle(Gabby for short because she's a talker). They have no info on her, so her records are just starting. I'd like to think maybe she's the female that helped Romeo, but who knows. The two bonded and have their first set of babies on cam in the nest. One hatched on Feb 19th and the other Feb 22nd. The 22nd happens to be the same day Harriet gave us a miracle egg#3.
Anyway, there you have it. A more accurate telling of that nest. I tried to find their live feed but the set up for it is WAY different than ours. So, I don't know how to figure it out.

Last edited:

deviant2

hell is other people
Harriet incubating #3.
Good look at her back feathers. Once an adult reaches 5yrs of age, their feather pattern doesn't change.
Screenshot_20200223-175321.png

Bonding.
Look close and you see M's brood patch.
7.34.53mating.jpg

Harriet... isn't she just lovely.
See her brood patch?
mqdefault.jpg

EDIT: Catching a glimpse of a brood patch isn't easy. All credits go to the folks behind the cams and Harriet.

Last edited:

Drives backwards

All of this is just fascinating to me!! I absolutely LOVE birds of prey and have since I was just a child. Always wanting to fly I would watch birds of all kinds, but we had so many Ospreys and Red Tailed Hawks as well as several nesting Bald Eagles that I just naturally became captured by their power, their beauty and how every set of raptors I ever watched, were dedicated parents to their young and permanent pairs, never leaving each other!
Thank you for the detail in your description of each nest. You are doing something that really matters and makes a difference in a world that needs more people like you! It's obvious that you are a true nature lover enjoying all of nature and your knowledge of birds of prey in general is amazing!
With as much as you already know, then you are probably already aware of the ongoing fight for dominance between GHO's and other birds of prey, with Red Tails and Ospreys as their main target.
Your detailed surveillance of all of thesenests are invaluable and you should be recognized and given special access to information and nest cams as a private citizen, but at a Game Warden's level of access to things like that. You are really performing a service to nature and should be seen as an example of how beneficial you and those like you ARE to nature and the protection of endangered and threatened species. Along with these magnificent birds, you are setting it up for other species of animals to be appreciated by mainstream public. I have burned YouTube up with my watching ALL birds of prey videos with hawks and eagles as my main interest. Naturally in doing that, you end up watching all manor of interaction between bird species and there is one in particular of a Goliath Heron and a Fishing Eagle that's just amazing and another of a GHO and Red Tail fighting over a nest! The GHO is surprisingly bigger than the Red Tail, but that doesn't stop the RT from defending it's nest!! Also there are videos of hunting Goldens and how freaking powerful they are!! There are videos of Baldies hunting ducks and other prey species. Most people think Bald Eagles are fish Eagles, but literally EVERYTHING is on the menue and watching a nest will prove the truth and reality of that! There is even a video of an Eagle nest where there's a baby Red Tails being raised by the parent Eagles!! It's assumed the baby hawk was brought to the nest as a food source for the eaglets but as quite often the case, it was still very much alive and possibly somehow wasn't eaten right away and when a parent came to feed the eaglets, the baby hawk begged along side of the eaglets and the parenting drive of the Eagles was so strong that they just kept raising and feeding the hawk!!! It wasn't the least bit afraid to get right up front at feeding time either!
So I'm just really very impressed and grateful to you for your amazing and detailed surveillance of these Eagle nests and of all of the local birds of prey! Thank you so much deviant2 for this much appreciated thread!! 😊💕

deviant2

hell is other people
Thank you. Your excitement radiates thru your text and that's all it takes to spread knowledge and love for birds to others.

Harriet and M have had their fill of a pair of GHO. I posted quite a bit on in the beginning of this season. You'll have to flip back several pages to find it. There's some great cam footage w/slo-mos.

deviant2

hell is other people
SHE DID IT!!! Egg#4 has arrived!
Congratulations Harriet and M15!!!

Harriet steps up and away this morning and there they are, #3 and #4 nice and dry.
226646a.jpg

M in to see #4 for the first time.
226646b.jpg

He checks them, rolls them and settles in the rain over his eggers.
2020-02-26_12h43_57.jpg
22620ma.jpg

Last edited:
Back