Florida Cam. Watch Hatching and Raising of Bald Eagles (8 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

deviant2

hell is other people
When Harriet passes and a new female takes her place, she'll be F(female) and whatever year they become a bonded pair.
Harriet's offspring with Ozzie and now M15 are labeled E(eaglet) and whatever number they are in line if they hatch successfully. E15 and E16 were the last to fledge(E15 just recently). Meaning as of right now, Harriet has had 16 successful hatches since she's been on live cam, which began in 2012. When this eaglet hatches, it will be E17 and so on.

Other live cams name all of their parents and offspring, some band them too. This nest does neither unless one is injured and goes to CROW. As far as I know, E8(eighth eagle born) is the only one tagged from this nest.

Last edited:
Reactions: McM

deviant2

hell is other people
EGG #2
Official time 4:45pm 12/19/20
517p h 2eegs.PNG.png
1220909a.jpg
12201227.jpg

Egg #1 is to the right, Egg#2 to the left.

Now we wait, it takes 35 -39 days to hatch. 40/42 days at the outside before it's called unviable.

Way to go Mom and Dad!!!

msr

AHHHHH FUCK
Sticks and bonding and brood patch showing by Harriet?

They best hussle on the castle, cause her clock is ticking.
We may see a clutch before the nest is in the shape they usually have it.
View attachment 455131View attachment 455132View attachment 455133View attachment 455134

These last 2 pics are of M with his beak anchored and kicking out debris from the center of the nest. I've not seen him do this before.
View attachment 455135

View attachment 455138
remember at least one unhatched egg is buried in that nest, probably busted and gone last year.

deviant2

hell is other people
remember at least one unhatched egg is buried in that nest, probably busted and gone last year.
They took the unhatched egg for testing when they went up and got poor little E14. That babe inside had only partial formed.

Unless you mean Eggbert, from E9's season, then yes, it's in there somewhere.

McM

ARSELING
Yes, that's correct.
Our CROW is NABU and they do rings too on the free-living birds after they were rescued, cleaned from oil, etc. or treated medically.

I find it somehow interesting how different species of birds (or animals) maintain their relationships between male and female. The bigger birds seem to live most monogamously or with only a few partners in life, others having a mating ritual/ big bamboo every year with a lot of competing males, building huts, doing dances and singing, and the eggs can have a different 'father' every year.

deviant2

hell is other people
Our CROW is NABU and they do rings too on the free-living birds after they were rescued, cleaned from oil, etc. or treated medically.

I find it somehow interesting how different species of birds (or animals) maintain their relationships between male and female. The bigger birds seem to live most monogamously or with only a few partners in life, others having a mating ritual/ big bamboo every year with a lot of competing males, building huts, doing dances and singing, and the eggs can have a different 'father' every year.
It seems mostly birds of prey are the ones who mate for life, with only death doing them part. Ozzie and Harriet were first noticed and watched on this exact property back in 2001, Harriet being just 5 going by her full adult feathers. Ozzie may have been slightly older as it was already his territory. That makes her in the mid 20's range as far as age goes. And Ozzie would have been this same age when he died in 2015.
M15 is young by all accounts because he was just almost fully feathered as an adult when he courted Harriet in that same year. He also acted as a step parent to Harriet and Ozzies babes in that season, which is almost unheard of.
There's lessons in Eagle love and perseverance, I'm sure.
:)

deviant2

hell is other people
M brings a moss ball, he wants Harriet up and out so he can incubate the eggers.
Little beak kisses...
1222835a.jpg

She moves without much effort on his part. Harriet is to the right, M the left.
1222handmandeggs.jpg

M checks his charges, gives them a roll...
12221232.jpg

He settles down, all the while Harriet watches from the crib rails with her keen eye. They're chattering this whole time, she so bossy. Lol.
1222813a.jpg

McM

ARSELING
Just had a look, it's dark but they have a 'night-light' on. Doesn't seem to bother them.
It just turned/rolled the eggs a bit... sweet.
I saw something similar in a docu about animals, don't know anymore what kind. They did live underground in a small cave and the team had to dig a hole in the cave from behind and installed a windowpane for the camera and lights. The small animals looked at it only the first two days then they didn't care anymore.

deviant2

hell is other people
It's an infrared light. We can see them on cam, but it's dark for them.

That's Harriet on the nest, she always does the night shift. The bugs are thick, she keeps shaking her head. Poor thing, gonna be a long night for her.
20210102_223356.png

M is up above her on the outer attic branch. You can just make out the white of his head and tail feathers.
20210102_223334.png

............................^

McM

ARSELING
The bugs are thick
Yeah, sitting on her beak, the buggers.

"That's Harriet on the nest, she always does the night shift." - I was about to ask if and how they share the sitting on/breeding the eggs. Get the answer now.

Good idea with the IR cam and light. Normal visible light would lure even more flies and bugs to the nest especially in summer. It's much better this way.
Didn't know it's in black/white too, I have always the greenish pictures in mind from military IR stuff.

deviant2

hell is other people
They trade incubating frequently from dawn til dusk, but once it's dark she's on the nest and he perches above her. The only time she'll leave the nest at night is if she's forced to. There's been a few times when an owl has landed on the nest rails and even then she didn't leave the eggs. Owls have excellent night vision, while eagles do not.

Regular lighting would draw more bugs, but also be visable to them and not natural. The light is only visable through the cameras, not the naked eye. If you went there now to look the pasture would be pitch dark.

McM

ARSELING
Yeah, I remember you mentioned an owls attack around one or two years ago. You were cursing at them. ;)
I like how they talk to each other; first I didn't realize that the eagles have these cute voices, thought there are other small birds sitting and talking in the tree. Never heard that before, there are no eagles here in the area, only a few hawks hovering stationary above the fields looking for mice.
Some eagles could be living in the mountains/Alps far down south though, but I think not the bald sort.

deviant2

hell is other people
DAMNED OWLS :rage: Lol
They live in Harriet's territory but are only a problem for a month or so. It's their breeding season too and they want the nest. Great horned owls don't build their own, they steal them from other birds of prey. The only time they're a true threat is at night because they can see M sitting in the tree and aim to take him out. If they injure one parent, it leaves the other and the eggs, very vulnerable. When it knocked M off the branch the other night, M didn't hear or see it coming. It was a hard hit too. He crashed into several lower branches before he could right himself, fly around and back up to the attic branch. Thankfully he was ok. If M or Harriet were to catch it after an attack, they would kill it. While almost equal in size, they're no match for an eagle in strength.

The little birds you hear singing away, are starlings. They come every year and there's a bunch of them.
As for Harriet and M, they talk and chatter away all the time. Mostly it's her being bossy and him saying "yes Dear".
When they vocal an alert, it's unmistakable and LOUD.

Bethy 🔥

Sometimes life aint fair kiddo..
Super Moderator
It's an infrared light. We can see them on cam, but it's dark for them.

That's Harriet on the nest, she always does the night shift. The bugs are thick, she keeps shaking her head. Poor thing, gonna be a long night for her.
View attachment 469514
M is up above her on the outer attic branch. You can just make out the white of his head and tail feathers.
View attachment 469515
............................^
Wow wut a beautiful pic 🤩

deviant2

hell is other people
The "floor" of the nest is approximately 6ft below the top of the nest, branches or "crib rails".
The "bowl" where the eggs are sitting, is roughly 6 inches deeper than the "floor".
I know it doesn't look that way from the view we see, but it is.
1321eggs.jpg

McM

ARSELING
Great horned owls..
Wow, never heard from something like that related to birds. Attacking the owners and stealing their 'house', I bet they would eat the abandoned eggs as well. These criminals.. :lol: But interesting though.
We have only the cuckoo here with its 'parasitic' breeding behaviour. Maybe others do 'strange' things too, I'm not the bird expert. My mom and granny were into birds and did winter-feeding all the years when everything was still covered in snow and ice. In the trees on the property are still the nest-boxes for small birds, the gardening guy cares for them now.

Back