Gary Leon Ridgway a.k.a. The Green River Killer (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cowboy Stanley

Fresh Meat
Amazing that he only had an IQ in the low eighties, yet he was able to outsmart the whole Green River Task Force for twenty years and to become America's most prolific serial killer! I always assumed Ridgeway must have had a very high IQ....then again the "low eighties IQ" may have only been based on one or two tests on which he may not have scored well. A person would have to be administered many tests over a period of time to have a more accurate measure of IQ. Also doing poorly in school does not automatically reflect on ones intelligence. A person could have a genious IQ and still fail school.

sassniper

Rookie
Amazing that he only had an IQ in the low eighties, yet he was able to outsmart the whole Green River Task Force for twenty years and to become America's most prolific serial killer! I always assumed Ridgeway must have had a very high IQ....then again the "low eighties IQ" may have only been based on one or two tests on which he may not have scored well. A person would have to be administered many tests over a period of time to have a more accurate measure of IQ. Also doing poorly in school does not automatically reflect on ones intelligence. A person could have a genious IQ and still fail school.
Back then they were still figuring out DNA and stuff, but yeah he used cigarette stubs from other people and tossed them around the body's. he even positioned some in mad poses and placed fish on them fucking weird or what?

R34P3R

Angel of Death
Judging by his evasion and methodical tendencies, I'd say he was highly intelligent. To sum up his careful work as mere coincidence would be the assumption of someone of the aforementioned IQ.

My only explanation for his published IQs being so low would be either media manipulation of the masses to suggest you have to be average or stupid to be a serial killer (and is thus demoralizing to those on the verge) - OR he intentionally scored poorly in the attempt to plea for a lesser sentence (though he did plead guilty, so it's doubtful).

lily lou

Rookie
I know people with genius iq's who would throw the testing on purpose in court cases and to get exempt from school testing here in Texas. It happens . I also have a good friend who could not pass Algebra but over years of testing his iq always sat between 164-170 . He never graduated or went to college but is , financially, the most successful person from my class.
Personally I think The Green River killer was a lot smarter than people think.

Sicksicle

Well Known Member
The cops were unto him from pretty early on the piece, I forgot how many interviews he did.
His intellect is probably up there with the best of them , yes it's easy to flunk an iq test especially if your smart enough to pick the right ones and then pick the others. Iq tests are not about scholastic skills they are about problem solving. He demonstrated those skills again and again under police pressure.

Serial killers are one size fits all category. They can be anybody. Forensic profiling, although truly useful, is limited only to what's left at the scene of the crime, appromixation of possible age, race and gender, and if there were more than one perpetrator. That's why it takes years before they are brought to justice, if they have lived long enough for that. Most of them, if not all, don't really commit crimes in their neighborhood, they go hunting some place else. Believe or not, neighbors of some serial killers who were interviewed, most of the time say that they couldn't believe it was mr. good ol smith next door that did those people. Because they also tend to be mindful of how they project themselves in front of familiar faces without the world knowing that somebody else is just underneath that superficial mask.
'Good post....Killers may not commit acts where they presently reside....They are more apt to operate in an area that they grew up or previously lived....Geographical intamacy, is key......Killers have it all planned out prior to the act.

Back