George Joseph Smith. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

D

DECADENCE

Internet Warrior
There is a movie around about this guys crimes but sadly I have no idea what it was called, I think this guy was more of a common murderer as opposed to a serial killer as he killed for money not pleasure.

SMITH George Joseph 1872 1915/08/13
UK.gif
skull.gif
... ... ... 3

Brides in the Bath Murderer 1912 1914
Verdict/Urteil:

SMITH_george_joseph.jpg

An habitual criminal, born in January 1872, Smith was sentenced to eight years in a British reformatory at age nine. In 1896, he drew another year for receiving stolen goods, and was released in 1897. Smith celebrated the turn of the century with a two-year sentence for theft, hitting the streets again in October 1902. Discarding his first wife (and sometime criminal accomplice), Smith spent the next decade perfecting his technique as a matrimonial swindler. The risks were minimal, and they would be reduced to nothing, Smith decided, if his wives were not alive to testify against him. Using the alias of "Williams," Smith married Beatrice Mundy in July 1912, a bigamous union made null and void by the fact he had never divorced his first wife. The honeymoon was still in progress when Smith called on Dr. F.A. French, insisting that his bride undergo treatment for "fits." Beatrice staunchly denied any symptoms of illness, but Dr. French was summoned to their residence three days later, by a note from Smith reading: "Come at once. I am afraid my wife is dead." French found Beatrice in the bathtub, her face partially submerged, and while he noted that the water was clear -rather than soapy - the doctor ignored his suspicions, certifying death by natural causes. In October 1913, Smith spoke with an annuity insurance agent, discussing a planned investment of $2,500. Smith promised to have the money before his birthday, in January, and he promptly set about stalking a new victim to make up his cash shortage. He met Alice Burnham at Portsmouth, in November, and they were married days later, the bride taking out a $5,000 insurance policy on the afternoon before their wedding. Six weeks later, in Blackpool, Alice was "accidentally drowned" in the bathtub of their rented flat, and Smith collected her insurance money in time to follow through on his investment scheme. In December 1914, posing as "Joseph Lloyd," Smith was married to Margaret Lofty, in Bath. They went to London the same day, and Smith returned from an early outing next day to find his bride dead in the bathtub. He was arrested on suspicion of murder when police learned his true identity, and they discovered Smith had also lied about his wife's lack of life insurance. He was expecting some $3,500 at the time of his arrest, for a total of $18,000 collected in the past two years. The defense presented no evidence when Smith went to trial, charged with three counts of murder, in June 1915. As the prosecution rested its case, Smith rose and shouted, "I don't care whether you sentence me to death or not!" Convicted of all three "brides-in-the-bath" murders, he received the maximum penalty, and was hanged on August 13, 1915.

D

DECADENCE

Internet Warrior
The T.V movie of the above was called "The Brides in the Bath" starring Martin Kemp, I watched it it was pretty decent considering the budget was virtually zero.

b2ux

Banned
This user was banned
smithgj_001.jpg

George Joseph Smith

smithgj_002.jpg

George Joseph Smith

smithgj_003.jpg

George Joseph Smith

smithgj_004.jpg

George Joseph Smith

smithgj_005.jpg

George Joseph Smith

smithgj_006.jpg

George Joseph Smith

smithgj_007.jpg

George Smith with Bessie Mundy, his first victim.

smithgj_011.jpg

Madame Tussauds' Chamber Of Horrors

smithgj_012.jpg

Madame Tussauds' Chamber Of Horrors

bath.jpg

Bath

burnham_father.jpg

The father of Alice Durnham

exhumation.jpg

Exhumation

bernard-spilsbury.jpg

Sir Bernard Spilsbury

caroline_thornhill.jpg

In 1898 he married Caroline Beatrice Thornhill (under another alias, Oliver George Love) in Leicester;
it was his only legal marriage (although he also married another woman bigamously in 1899).

smithgj_book.jpg

The victims

bessie_mundy.jpg

Beatrice "Bessie" Mundy, 31

alice_burnham.jpg

Alice Burnham, 25

margaret_lofty.jpg

Margaret Elizabeth Lofty, 38
"The Brides in the Bath Murders"

Classification: Serial killer
Characteristics: Bigamist
Number of victims: 3
Date of murders: 1912 - 1914
Date of arrest: February 1, 1915
Date of birth: January 11, 1872
Victims profile: Beatrice "Bessie" Mundy, 31 / Alice Burnham, 25 / Margaret Elizabeth Lofty, 38
Method of murder: Drowning
Status: Executed by hanging at Maidstone prison on August 13, 1915

Back