HELP: best laptop/netbook for the money?

sickfuck

Banned
anyone use these things? i'm in the market for something reasonably priced (under/around $400 if possible.) that can edit videos. also, if you could recommend good/ok video editing program that's not photoshop that'd be great.

If your willing to spend a bit above 400$ you gotta get yourself an HP Probook 4320s, really fast, amazing sound! I was able to load up Fast Five on it, and it was like watching the movie in surround sound. Durable with a built in 2MP Webcam, which might make it possible for you to edit videos with. Intel Core I3, Graphics are it's lowest subscore at a 3.9, but they work good for me.

Torque Button

"boo fucking hoo" "Die in a fire"
editing video/photoshop = :headbutt:$400 laptop

do yourself a favor and build a pc with a PC DIY Barebones kit from tiger direct

Decent60

Patient goes beep beep beeeeeeeeeep
editing video/photoshop = :headbutt:$400 laptop

do yourself a favor and build a pc with a PC DIY Barebones kit from tiger direct

Can't build a laptop from the DIY section ;)
But a desktop would be better for editing video anyways. Laptops are low power users, which can cause higher latency on the CPU. Desktops can be equipped with higher power supplies, thus allowing smoother processes.
For around $500, though, you can buy a good pc for editing and watching videos.
Only videos I've edited were just self-done ones, and I used Cyberlink PowerDirector for that. It's lightweight but has limited options on it that allow for a semi-professional look. You can do a lot with it if you apply yourself with it (I made a custom theme/boarder for my videos with just pictures and overlaid them on the video, looked pretty good to me).

mrln

silent ghost
anyone use these things? i'm in the market for something reasonably priced (under/around $400 if possible.) that can edit videos. also, if you could recommend good/ok video editing program that's not photoshop that'd be great.
in essence,ya get what you pay for. not gonna get a vette at pinto prices. know what i mean.....?

Decent60

Building your own means you got it cheap. If it fails, chuck it out.
I beg to differ. I've built all my PCs since the first one. If it fails, replace the failed piece. Unless that's what you meant. (Most of my PCs are net worth at $900+ ).

Torque Button

"boo fucking hoo" "Die in a fire"
Laptops are all proprietary bullshit, when they break they are all too expensive to fix and have no real upgrade path to follow if you should later choose, besides adding RAM or a SSD.

Decent60

Laptops are all proprietary bullshit, when they break they are all too expensive to fix and have no real upgrade path to follow if you should later choose, besides adding RAM or a SSD.

That's the price to pay for convenience and portability. Although extended warranties help out quite a bit.