How to transfer from Firewire cam to laptop without S400 connector

Equal Hater

Unbannable by decree!
I got a mini dv CanonOptura xi and want to transfer the tapes to the computer, but my piece of shit Acer don't have an S400 adaptor and firewire / usb are not compatible.

Do I need an external hard drive or how the fuck do I solve the problem?

the camera has the small 'crimped' connector, correct? i would be very surprised if your local electronics store (NOT best buy) didn't have a usb/small end firewire adapter. the worst case is you buy a $15 PCI slot USB/Firewire add in card.

OP
Equal Hater

Equal Hater

Unbannable by decree!
the camera has the small 'crimped' connector, correct? i would be very surprised if your local electronics store (NOT best buy) didn't have a usb/small end firewire adapter. the worst case is you buy a $15 PCI slot USB/Firewire add in card.
Yes, my camera has the 4-pin firewire connector. I've been told in CompUSA (a retailer here) that my only solution is to a) add a pcmcia firewire card if my laptop allows it (it doesn't) or to buy a new laptop with the S400 connector already in it.

I mentioned the external drive with both usb and firewire connections as a solution, but he told me that it would not work because it won't be a program telling the camcorder to copy the tape into the hard drive. I can use the SD as a recorder but the quality is really really shitty.

OP
Equal Hater

Equal Hater

Unbannable by decree!
My brother, I see your link and it pretty much describes what laptop expansion ports are and the different types but I didn't noticed an specific model / brand they might offer. Either that or I'm just too fucking annoyed to see it.

OP
Equal Hater

Equal Hater

Unbannable by decree!
So far the best I was able to figure out is to use a "easy.caps" which is basically an adapter red/yellow/white a/v connectors to a usb port. I don't actually know 100% for sure if it will work but it might be worth giving it a try.

The other option is to use the sd card instead of the mini dv for recording, but I doubt the quality would be the same and I wonder how long I would have time wise to record with let's say an 8G one...