I need to choose a gaming laptop, help needed

Hello all,

I need to make a choice between 2 gaming laptops and I was wondering what to choose.

HP Omen 15 inch with:
  • I7 8750H clock 2.2Ghz Turbo up to 4.1 Ghz
  • 16GB DDR4 memory (1× 16gb)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q 8Gb dedicated
  • G-Sync
  • 144hz screen

OR

HP Omen 15 inch with:
  • I7 9750H clock 2.6 Ghz Turbo up tp 4.5 Ghz
  • 16 GB DDR 4 ( 2x 8GB)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB dedicated
  • no Gsync
  • 144hz screen.
Both laptops are priced the same.
Wich one gives me more bang for my bucks?

Imho I would not buy either one.

Nowadays the newest games need at least 8 gbytes of VRAM.

Of the two machines, the one that has 8 Gbytes of VRam is the one that also has a 1070 that is relatively obsolete today.

Find a notebook with 2060 and 8 Gbytes of VRAM (at least).

btw... For games, having an i7 of eighth or ninth generation today is not going to bring you big differences, in fact, you will not notice any difference, but it is important the video card and 16 gbytes of RAM at least.

Just buy an xbox one
the xbox one (or any other console) its far from archive the graphic quality and perfomance of a PC as far as games are concerned. It also does not give you the portability of a notebook. A console is practical if you are going to play with friends, or for your children. But if you're looking to play with excellent performance, the highest graphic quality, and the maximum amount of games available (and not having to pay so much money for each game) there's nothing better than a PC. And even more if you are looking for portability, the notebooks are the winners.

I have a PS4 Pro and I have not turned it on for months, I always play on my PC.

Believe me.. To play with 30, 40, 50 fps its not the same that to play a game with 60 or better yet, 120 fps..
(and yes.. the human eye can notice the difference...)

Last edited:
Playing on 15" screen? Pacman?
I have a gamer PC and a HP Omen gamer notebook, and I have a 32" connected to the PC... I got used to playing with that screen size since years...

But 15" is the price you pay if you want good portability. On the other hand, playing in 2k or 4k on the IPS screens that the Omen bring looks also amazing in 15 "...

Last edited:

McM

Krautnigger
gamer notebook
Didn't even know such a thing exists, I used laptops on the job, demolition site calculating the cubic meters etc. for the bureau to write the bill. I thought it's the usual marketing trick; what's next gamer phones? :lol:
I'm thinking about installing a 'beamer'/projector system for the flight sims. For me, the screen can't be large enough.

Jizdrop1

Top shagger
I have a gamer PC and a HP Omen gamer notebook, and I have a 32" connected to the PC... I got used to playing with that screen size since years...

But 15" is the price you pay if you want good portability. On the other hand, playing in 2k or 4k on the IPS screens that the Omen bring looks also amazing in 15 "...
Would you recomend this laptop for gaming? Just that their's a 17 inch one on E-bay at the moment. Does HP stand for Hewlet Packard?

🏴Vwj🏴

NewbieX
Just so you know on the graphics card (nvidia that is) the first two numbers are the series, and the second two are the performance, bearing in mind with the series they give you new tech that’s out so you could get a 1090 that would out perform a 2060 in virtually every aspect except it may not run a ”blah” program,

(Blah being a new spec that was brought out after the 1090 was designed)
(This blah is not actually a computer thing, just something I made up to get a point across)
(Also there may not have been any real technical advancements between series, it could just be the architecture of the hardware could have changed/been updated)
Hope this makes sense

Hello all,

I need to make a choice between 2 gaming laptops and I was wondering what to choose.

HP Omen 15 inch with:
  • I7 8750H clock 2.2Ghz Turbo up to 4.1 Ghz
  • 16GB DDR4 memory (1× 16gb)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q 8Gb dedicated
  • G-Sync
  • 144hz screen

OR

HP Omen 15 inch with:
  • I7 9750H clock 2.6 Ghz Turbo up tp 4.5 Ghz
  • 16 GB DDR 4 ( 2x 8GB)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB dedicated
  • no Gsync
  • 144hz screen.
Both laptops are priced the same.
Wich one gives me more bang for my bucks?
Go for the one with the 2060 its a better card than the 1070 even without G-Sync and also you are getting a processor a generation ahead and also for the same price its a win win situation

Go for the one with the 2060 its a better card than the 1070 even without G-Sync and also you are getting a processor a generation ahead and also for the same price its a win win situation
Its a better card but it have only 6 gbytes of VRAM..

There are games that even have a few years (ex: Lord of the Rings - Shadows of War) that when you set it in ultra consumes 8132 mb of VRAM (8 Gbytes) .. with that amount of VRAM (6gb) he can have problems with newer games ...

Last edited:
Didn't even know such a thing exists, I used laptops on the job, demolition site calculating the cubic meters etc. for the bureau to write the bill. I thought it's the usual marketing trick; what's next gamer phones? :lol:
I'm thinking about installing a 'beamer'/projector system for the flight sims. For me, the screen can't be large enough.
Well ... the gamers phones also exist LOL .. :D

A notebook gamer is basically a notebook with a good processor, and a good video card, and a good battery to support the power consumption of the video card. Also (if it's good) those notebooks are good with heat dissipation due to the work they have to endure. Nothing else.

The consumption of my notebook on standby is about 8/9 watts. When I turn on the NVIDIA card, it goes up more than double, even in standby. That's why I have a program in Linux to turn on and off the 3D card on demand.

Ps. I thought about installing a projector also for the games which gave me about 100" of screen .. but here they are quite expensive ...

Reactions: McM
Would you recomend this laptop for gaming? Just that their's a 17 inch one on E-bay at the moment. Does HP stand for Hewlet Packard?
If it is to play, a desktop PC will always be more performant than a notebook. But if you need yes or yes a notebook, then yes, the Hewlett Packard Omen are very good, they have excellent relationship between price and performance.

Janine

Dagotee!
Oh my goodness hubby has an Omen PC tower he bought on sale for 900 dollars a while back he loves it!!! But it's a desktop not a laptop