IS / ISIS: Where to get news and what to study in order to understand their cruelty

alhazred

All Fanatics Must Die
1/2

It is my firm opinion that, in order to have an informed overview of the IS / ISIS situation (I'm going to refer to them by their proper English initials, IS, from here on out), one needs to go beyond sensationalist newspaper articles and TV coverage. The resident community does get a fuller picture than most people, as they witness the barbarism in full HD. However, being a gorehound does not make you informed, and that's OK if gore's all you want.

As stated in another thread recently, I follow the global Jihad scene in general and IS / ISIS in particular, with a more academic approach than many. I read relevant research from reputable sources in addition to sifting through, viewing and reading a lot of material from the primary sources (the Jihadis themselves).

These links are for those of you who want something more, be it to follow related news a little more closely, or to properly educate yourself. First off is a list of links to trustworthy news coverage and studies, followed by a section on relevant IS propaganda.

LEGAL WARNING: Streaming videos is one thing; downloading and saving pro-jihad propaganda and other material can be quite another. In the UK, for example, simply downloading and saving one of the unofficial pro-IS manuals released online is a criminal act and is punishable by prison. So check local laws prior to diving in too deep. The following section is of course safe.

IS news & study links:

Since this is a gore forum, I'll do you the courtesy of starting off with two good sources of IS propaganda videos:

Jihadology - Online archive and clearinghouse for primary source material in general. Covers any and all groups, and is a reliable source of official videos and other releases. A Jhabat al-Nusra member reportedly said: "In order to know Jhabat al-Nusra, read the Qur'an, and visist Jihadology."

The blog is maintained by Aaron Zelin, expert on Jihadi propaganda for the Washington Institute for Near-East Policy, as historical documentation and an aid in academic research. Some videos are redacted, presumably due to excessive gore, although some very gruesome content is posted and retanied, but the original source link is usually listed, and the posts are kept as historical documents.

Furthermore, Jihadology releases a weekly podcast on a variety of Jihad related topics, guested by a list of who's who in terror research. There's also the occasional academic article, usually Mr. Zelin's own work.

And boy is he productive. In addition to his analysis for the Washington Institute, he's written for a number of other outlets, such as Academia, Foreign Affairs, The Atlantic, and several others (list from before to October 2014 - for recent analysis, see the bottom of his WINEP bio page). He is also a relatively active lecturer and panel participant. Check him out on YouTube.

(Heavy.com - News site that seems to follow IS closely, with a particular focus on the more shocking content. Usually retains what Jihadology redacts, and provides relevant info about each video posted. Not an academic site, but a good secondary source, especially relevant to the core premise of this forum.)

Jihadica by Will McCants and Thomas Hegghammer - World class documentation and research on global Jihad.

Aymenn Jawad al-Tamimi - In-debth analysis of global Jihad. He regularly writes guest articles at Jihadology. Archives IS documents and Nasheeds, with translations.

Brookings Institute is one of USA's oldest think tanks (100yo in 2016), orbits the future of war, the future of U.S. defense needs and priorities, and the future of the U.S. defense system, and covers IS extensively.

MEMRI Jihad & Terrorism Threat Monitor - Documentation and analysis of global Jihad.

ISIS Study Group covers both news and analysis of IS.

I obviously cannot link to copyrighted material here, but among the plethora of documentary books released on IS the last year I would like to point out and recommend The ISIS Apocalypse: The History, Strategy, and Doomsday Vision of the Islamic State (September 2015) by Will McCants, co-founder of Jihadica (already linked in the study section) and one of the world's foremost experts in the field.

IS propaganda and pro-IS "inspirational"/instructional releases:
Dabiq Magazine (latest issue, links to previous issues included) comes out about once a month, and is IS' primary proselytism outlet in English. Here you can read how IS defends their actions (including sex slavery), attacks their enemies ideologically, and reports on current events in the Caliphate.

IS also publishes magazines in French, Russian and Turkish.

Books

The following e-books are not official IS releases. However, they're doubtlessly written by someone well on the inside, with broad access to the organization.

Black Flags Book Series contains the six first Black Flags books (which generally focuses on jihad and IS history), in addition to a later release listed individually in the following).

The Revived Caliphate from late 2014 is the first book documenting the history and establishment of the IS Caliphate from the inside.

The Islamic State from early 2015 picks up where Revived left off, going on to report on IS' inner workings in Iraq and Syria.

Hijrah to the Islamic State is the next release in the series, detailing how to travel to IS and what to bring.

How to Survive in the West - a Mujahid Guide (PDF - right click, save as) from April 2015 is the most controversial one of the lot, explaining how to avoid detection as one prepares and executes a terror attack in the west.

Black Flags from the Islamic State 1989-2016 was released a few days ago (december 2015) and tells the story of how al-Qaeda became IS.

Continues...

OP
alhazred

alhazred

All Fanatics Must Die
2/2

AQAP - Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula:

I know this thread is about IS, but decided to include these because a) IS and AQ's histories are closely intertwined and b) it includes the most shocking and despicable information of all, both in magazine and book form.

Inspire Magazine (last issue, links to previous 13 issues included) is AQAP's main propaganda outlet in English, and was obviously the inspiration for IS' Dabiq Magazine. But where IS - while condescending and admonishing - maintains a certain statesmanlike dignity in their prose, AQAP has a slightly more pedantic and glib tone.

But more important than the language used, is the content communicated. The main ideological difference between IS and AQ, who on paper want more or less the same end result, is their primary focus. AQ has always stressed the importance of first weakening/breaking "The Far Enemy", i.e. the West, inspiring and attracting as many sympathisers as possible before turning to "clean up" the Muslim Ummah. IS' main focus is on "The Near Enemy", with the intention to eradicate Kufr and Shirk (disbelief and polytheism), as well as subdue the Jews and Christians under the Dhimma contract (essentially giving them 2nd class citizen status) before turning outward to down the West.

As a result, AQAP want to stay hidden and exclusive while IS want maximum exposure and maximum inclusion (I know this is oversimplifying, and I'm aware of the current shifting tides in this matter), to the extent that they actually declared themselves a Caliphate last summer. Where IS want everybody to leave home and join their forces (who by and large conduct conventional warfare), AQAP wants lone wolves to quitely infiltrate, sabotage and assassinate.

So while IS are the world champions of murder and terror, their approach to violence in their video propaganda tends to be a more documentary one, focusing on traditional war fighting (with the exception of so-called Martyr operations, or suicide bombings, which they use alongside conventional weapons) in addition to shocking executions. Their written material is mostly about ideology, justifying their barbarism, and "documenting" their state building efforts.

AQAP, who have less to gain from this kind of attention, and more to lose, rarely display executions or other battleground violence in their videos. Instead they publish detailed step-by-step instructions on bomb-making and terror strategies and tactics, illustrated by clear, high definition photos in their magazine. Issues 1, 2, 12, 13 & 14 contain articles on methods ranging from mowing down people with a car to making a hidden, undetectable bomb for a suicide mission targeting commercial flight. Sick stuff.

Books

The Book of Jihad by Ibn Nuhaas (d. 1411) - This 600-year-old tome is the granddaddy of all Jihad manuals.

The Permissibility Of Martyrdom Operations by Abu Qutaybah is a theological account defending suicide operations.

And last but not least, originally written by and for AQ-affiliates, the strategies outlined in this book are the closest anyone's come to explaining IS' brutality in a coherent way.

The Management of Savagery: The Most Critical Stage Through Which the Umma Will Pass by Abu Bakr Naji was written in the wake of 9/11, and released online in Arabic in 2004. It quickly became a hit in Jihadi circles, and in 2006 Will McCants translated it to English for academic study.

The book is reported to be mandatory reading among IS' leaders, and widely read even among footsoldiers. While IS has admittedly gone past and beyond it in some fields, the core remains and is helpful in explaining the ostensibly senseless violence that is the hallmark of IS. It eagerly quotes the medieval scholar Ibnul Qayyim (1292–1350), who is also IS' favorite, judging by their propaganda.

Management lays the groundwork for a strategy with the aim to establish a Caliphate. The author goes through the different phases of this process, with primary emphasis on The Management of Savagery, or Administration of Barbarism if you will; the phase where extreme cruelty is used in a conscious way in order to polarize the Muslims and force people to choose sides. Among other horrors, it admonishes the Mujahideen to punish spies in such a way as to inspire such fear among their peers that they will not dare to carry out another infiltration attempt. This is directly connected to the cruel and unusual punishment practiced by IS in the matter of spies.

It's terrible but not crazy; sick but not inept. Give it a try.

And with that, I conclude my way too long post. I realize this is likely to be too dry for most people, but I hope that some of you'll find it useful and interesting. Will not judge the TL;DR crowd.

PS. I'm not as thorough as I'd like, and may have omitted important links, either due to fatigue (brain getting weaker as I type) or laziness (didn't know/bother to find), and I may have made mistakes. Feel free to add to this, elaborate, or correct me.

D.O.A.

LET ME TELL YOU A COUPLE A THREE THINGS
Nice links but I'd rather not read too deep into their fairytales and reasoning for what they do, they're a bullshit religion, they all need to be killed, that's my take on this whole fucking mess. That's how you solve this problem. Kill all the muslims, men, women, children, all of them. They're a cancer. If we don't we'll be talking about this still in 2020. I once thought there could be some political compromise with these people but you can't compromise with barbarians, just fucking kill them all and be done with it. Burn them like hitler did the jews.

Sev

Well Oiled Member
Nice links but I'd rather not read too deep into their fairytales and reasoning for what they do, they're a bullshit religion, they all need to be killed, that's my take on this whole fucking mess. That's how you solve this problem. Kill all the muslims, men, women, children, all of them. They're a cancer. If we don't we'll be talking about this still in 2020. I once thought there could be some political compromise with these people but you can't compromise with barbarians, just fucking kill them all and be done with it. Burn them like hitler did the jews.

D.O.A.

That exact amount of bombs is about all that Australia has contributed to the useless effort so far. That's why I can't stand muslims, they're all over the fucking middle east and "strongly condem ISIS", yet some dickhead from Queensland is fighting them.

Sev

Well Oiled Member
That exact amount of bombs is about all that Australia has contributed to the useless effort so far. That's why I can't stand muslims, they're all over the fucking middle east and "strongly condem ISIS", yet some dickhead from Queensland is fighting them.
I watched the vids of those kids playing hide and execute earlier and I was thinking the same thing you said in your last post. Wtf are we doing? Waiting for them to kill our fucking children? Shits getting tiresome as fuck.

D.O.A.

I watched the vids of those kids playing hide and execute earlier and I was thinking the same thing you said in your last post. Wtf are we doing? Waiting for them to kill our fucking children? Shits getting tiresome as fuck.
Don't worry we have allies right there in the midst of it like Turkey and Saudi, who have suffered horrible domestic terrorism themselves via islamic state and who bravely fight on the front line to restore truth, democracy and the ... wait, who am I fucking kidding.

OP
alhazred

alhazred

All Fanatics Must Die
I am sorry if I came across as an apologist for Jihadi-Salafism. I'm not prepared to go as far as you (nor to take your suggestion seriously), but there are core doctrines within islam that need to be dealt with. My own attitude goes more along the lines of Sam Harris than Robert Spencer. We cannot continue to reiterate the lie that Islam has nothing to do with it, that would be letting the fascists and bigots have monopoly on the truth. We need to be honest and unafraid about confronting these issues, and support the voices in the Muslim world who are standing up to conservative Islam.

That said, we should not be blind to the fact that the Muslim Brotherhood has 100s of suborganisations, many of them "moderate" and/or charity-oriented, that are actively trying to infiltrate and islamize the West from within. Their goal is the same as the Jihadists; a worldwide Caliphate based on Shariah law, but without hurting civilians. Terrorism will always be extreme; it's scary and facilitates fear-mongery, but it's not such a huge threat when you think about it. It's the non-violent Jihad that is the real, long-term danger here, I think.

However, if we don't stop the current course of action (more and more relatively moderate muslims are drawn to IS as the bombs fall and civilians die) and think up something new, the reality of the future could turn into a scenario where something akin to your solution would have to be considered.

if only 2% of the muslims around the world are extremists wtf is going on with the random attacks ? the guy on the tube today/yesterday was just getting on a train right ? and got killed cause of syria . . . . . I guess he sesreved it cause he'd just parked his F-14 and was on his way home.

Reactions: Sev
OP
alhazred

alhazred

All Fanatics Must Die
Well, they're well over 1.2 billion people, two percent of which is 24 million. Even though most of them live too far away to be dangerous, they're many enough in the West for us to feel it.

OP
alhazred

alhazred

All Fanatics Must Die
I'm drinking, which sometimes helps, and I think I just realized why I smelled funny to you. I've concluded I should, in any case.

Too late to saymuch, but I've somehow managed to omit an important field of research, namely counter stratedy, with relevant links. Furthermore I've made unclear comments that may be suited to misinterpretation about the bombing. I will elaborate on this when I am sober and have the time.

I apologize for the odour.

Sev

Well Oiled Member
I'm drinking, which sometimes helps, and I think I just realized why I smelled funny to you. I've concluded I should, in any case.

Too late to saymuch, but I've somehow managed to omit an important field of research, namely counter stratedy, with relevant links. Furthermore I've made unclear comments that may be suited to misinterpretation about the bombing. I will elaborate on this when I am sober and have the time.

I apologize for the odour.
Only smelled a little bit like homeland security tbh.

OP
alhazred

alhazred

All Fanatics Must Die
wino: I am still waiting for an explanation of the background for your questions. Maybe I answered it in part myself in my last post, maybe Dolarhyde explained it for you, or maybe my style and/or content made you suspect something different. Either way, I'd appreciate an explanation. I promise, I am not easily offended. I try to always be open to differing viewpoints. I am also well aware that I'm a newbie on your turf, who's brought nothing but text to an image-based community. (In that regard I am thankful for the respectful welcome I've received.)

Dolarhyde: Homeland Security?? Please elaborate, I live a sheltered life in one of the most peaceful parts of the world. Our defense and surveillance services are jokes compared to what you got going over the pond.

Funny, I thought maybe I'd be accused of being pro-Jihad, pro-Radical Islam or something. In my home country, I get accused of being a bigoted racist when trying to discuss these matters. The mainstream debate has become so PC that even the most obvious truths have to be strewn with sugar, wrapped in cotton, and gift-wrapped before presenting them.

Anyway, I promised a continuation/elaboration of previous posts in this thread, and it's coming. Just gotta prioritize income-generating work. I hope to be back with an update tonight, or at least before the weekend's over.

PS. If I've not mentioned it before; please excuse any errors in my text because a) English is not my mother tongue and b) I have a fucked up keyboard these days. Requested new one for x-mas.