KickassTorrents Goes Offline As Alleged Owner Arrested (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

D.O.A.

We are Kings
If you, like so many, used KickassTorrents (KAT) as one of your primary sources for downloading movies and music, you’re out of luck, as the alleged owner of the site was arrested on Wednesday.

According to TorrentFreak, Artem Vaulin, 30, of Poland, was arrested in the Ukraine on a number of charges, including conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement, conspiracy to commit money laundering and two counts of criminal copyright infringement. According to a complaint filed in US District Court in Chicago, the copyrighted material over on the site is valued at over $US1 billion ($1.3 billion). The US is seeing to extradite Vaulin and a federal court in Chicago has ordered the domains to be seized.

Vaulin, also known as “tirm”, is thought to be the person behind the founding of the site in 2008 and was heavily involved in the operations and financials of KAT. Investigators identified a number of servers that could be tied back to KAT, including one in Chicago (hence the complaint being filed there). They also allege that Vaulin was running the company Cryptoneat, which they say was used in part to conceal some of KAT’s operations.

“In an effort to evade law enforcement, Vaulin allegedly relied on servers located in countries around the world and moved his domains due to repeated seizures and civil lawsuits. His arrest in Poland, however, demonstrates again that cybercriminals can run, but they cannot hide from justice,” said Assistant Attorney General Leslie Caldwell in a press release issued by the Department of Justice.

This is a big hit for the torrent community, since KAT was one of, if not the, most popular torrent site, even bigger than the Pirate Bay. According to the criminal complaint, KAT is the 69th most frequently visited website online, and receives over 50 million unique hits a month.

Additionally, the criminal complaint reveals that investigators went undercover to advertise on the site, which revealed a bank account that was used.

At the time of this writing, kat.cr, which is the current domain for the site, doesn’t appear to be loading.

In the meantime, you’ll either have to find another site to get your download of Ghostbusters while it’s still in the theatres, or pay actual money to the creators.

Your Favourite Torrent Site KickassTorrents Goes Offline As Alleged Owner Arrested

shitterofpants

This user was banned
Many other places to go, but this does suck if you think about the amount of seeders KAT had. Just take longer to get what I want to see, and I'm OK with that.

D.O.A.

We are Kings
Just reading more about this today, can't believe this guy could be so stupid to be honest.... his fucking servers were in Canada and Chicago. Not in the fucking cyberbunker that gets away with shit like piratebay and the worlds biggest ddos attck ever STILL... no let's set up shop as close to the FBI as possible, within walking distance if we can.

Also he used his business email to register a domain, he's taken that whole business down as well as he was hiding some of his technical shit in their infrastructure. He sold ads to undercover FBI and let them get his bank details. He fucked up hard here.

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
Apparently he was involved with Solarmovie as well. Which REALLY sucks. That was by far the best streaming website around. There are a few other good ones still, but they mostly focus around TV series only. Solarmovie was the best website for movies and TV series. So easy to use, no scams, no signing up, etc. It was a great website.

I stopped using torrents other than for audiobooks after about 10 complaints from companies via my ISP ended up getting emailed to me over the span of a year or so. And yes, I had PeerGuardian and an VPN running. Didn't matter. It's much safer streaming what you want to watch, or start to watch through a streaming website, and then just download it with a YouTube downloading program like Flash Video Downloader.

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
It should ;) or you're using the wrong open vpn configs.

Eh, I'll check into it again sometime but I'm pretty sure I had everything set up just right.

Wish there was a way of knowing without getting a warning about piracy in my email again.

Gorgutz

Post-Mortem
Sucks ass. Yet new sites will spawn if KAT isn't brought back from the dead like TPB has (a thousand times).

Back