Latest: Missing Iowa Girls (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

KG

stalking
I understand searching the lake but they should or at least I hope they were looking elsewhere at the same time because in 2 + days they could be anywhere by now. If it was mine as distrught as I know I would be I would be having my own search parties and looking everywhere for my kid. Not doing interviews with the media I'd have a person doing that for me while I was out looking day and night.

D.N.R.

Medication time
I was just watching a news broadcast that was saying the FBI believes the girls are still alive. They will not say what makes them believe this but one of the girls parents say that there has been a couple leads that have given them hope.

KG

stalking
Here are some child abduction statistics.
The U.S. Department of Justice reports
  • Nearly 800,000 children younger than 18 are missing each year, or an average of 2,185 children reported missing each day.
  • More than 200,000 children were were abducted by family members.
  • More than 58,000 children were abducted by nonfamily members.
  • 115 children were the victims of “stereotypical” kidnapping. These crimes involve someone the child does not know or a slight acquaintance who holds the child overnight, transports the child 50 miles or more, kills the child, demands ransom, or intends to keep the child permanently.
Yet one of the girls family is mad at being questioned to hard during a polygraph. One would think that after seeing so many of these cases that parents who have had nothing to do with their child being missing would offer anything and everything to the police so they could get it out of the way and then the police could focus outside of the parents because every parent should know that they are going to be looked at first so why not just offer your right kidney asap so they can clear u?

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
I don't understand how they could be SO calm talking to the press? I would honestly be A basket case begging people to just help me find my child! I don't want to bash them, but after cases like Susan Smith when I saw her on T.V. I felt terrible for her and her family! (I have to say only the 1st few time's I saw S.S on television though, I could tell she was lying 2day's in) I am not in there shoes so I don't know what they are feeling, I just know I would NOT be so calm and rational at this point!

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I don't understand how they could be SO calm talking to the press? I would honestly be A basket case begging people to just help me find my child! I don't want to bash them, but after cases like Susan Smith when I saw her on T.V. I felt terrible for her and her family! (I have to say only the 1st few time's I saw S.S on television though, I could tell she was lying 2day's in) I am not in there shoes so I don't know what they are feeling, I just know I would NOT be so calm and rational at this point!
Same with me. Even with a few doses of Valium, they're way to calm and collected. It's more like they are talking about their dog or family cat going missing.

With 4 girls of my own, they wouldn't be able to interview me because I would be out in the bush, or the lake, or gas stops or whatever looking for my kid.

But somethings off with this case. Going on 2 weeks and still nothing. The one kid's mother has been polygraphed twice and passed but the father refuses to take the test, feeling they are accusing him of something.

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
Same with me. Even with a few doses of Valium, they're way to calm and collected. It's more like they are talking about their dog or family cat going missing.

With 4 girls of my own, they wouldn't be able to interview me because I would be out in the bush, or the lake, or gas stops or whatever looking for my kid.

But somethings off with this case. Going on 2 weeks and still nothing. The one kid's mother has been polygraphed twice and passed but the father refuses to take the test, feeling they are accusing him of something.
I am completely with you on this DH! I would do whatever it was necessary to help find my baby girl! If they wanted A polygraph fine, there would be NO good reason to keep me from taking it. In all honesty I don't think I would be all there, in my mind knowing my child was missing for so long, I think it would push me over the edge and I would have to be hospitalized! And if my husband refused to take A polygraph he sure in HELL would not be standing beside me while I was talking to the press, I would kick his ass and want no part of him! Something just isn't right here! I feel A little worse each day that they stay missing.:(

D.N.R.

Medication time
I am not defending them by any means but I do know that you can't always tell what someone's emotions/thoughts are by just watching their reactions. I have a bad habit of disassociating when anything traumatic happens in my life. It is not very healthy and I have worked hard to keep it from happening but it is a coping skill I have utilized since childhood. However I would be cooperating 100% with the investigation.

KG

stalking
She had her hair and makeup done though and I understand disassociating BUT there is a huge difference between the way some parents present themselves. Look at the way Susans Smiths babies father was acting. That was a concerned parent who the world knew didn't have anything to do with those 2 kids missing.

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
Any new updates?

Where are these poor girls right now? I was laying in bed the other night thinking about this. That poster I posted in the OP of the thread I made just wouldn't leave my mind. I hate when I shut my eyes and still see what I don't want to.

It's just such a terrible thing. Those poor little girls.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Maybe it's just the type of parent I am...we're all different..no better, no worse...but I could not rest or emotionally remove myself from the situation if this had happened to me. Too many times over the past 23 years I have sat and wondered, when one of my kids went out, what if... It didn't consume me but it was always a damn, what if.

There is no way that I could compose myself to be that calm on TV with one or two of my kids out there somewhere and missing. If I wasn't out hunting the whereabouts of my kid/s then I'd be doing whatever the police wanted/needed me to do - hands down.

Need a polygraph? Frig, lets do 10 of them, wait...how about 20? And they can beat me or torture me too. Atleast that way they can clear me as a suspect and then get their focus beyond the immediate family and look for actual suspects that might have been in the area and I could get on with doing what I would have been doing: looking for my kid even if it killed me.

When the Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka killings happened I was a volunteer looking for both girls in 100+ temps, climbing walls, pecking through woods, searching abandoned houses or buildings, going through garbage bins, etc. My wife and I only had two kids at that time but it seemed instinctual to atleast help look.

And as of this morning, no updates, aRyan...no leads no nothing.

Dixon Vixen

FUCK OFF
wonder if the cops checked any drug connections in with the parents maybe they pissed some people off gave them a bad batch screwed them over or something. I think it is an abduction

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
wonder if the cops checked any drug connections in with the parents maybe they pissed some people off gave them a bad batch screwed them over or something. I think it is an abduction
I'm thinking the same. If some random child abductor didn't stuff them into his truck or van and bury them after he was done; or if the girls didn't drown in that lake and get swept way down stream; or if the parents (well one set of the parents) brought no harm to the girls themselves; then as a cop I'd be definitely looking at their past and who got screwed when the two parents were caught with the meth lab and distribution ring: it was a fairly large operation that they were involved in.

I doubt that either of the girls are still alive - too many variables in this one. And unless they know info that they haven't made public, I'm sure that they cops are scratching their heads too.

KG

stalking
If we look at statistics then within 48 hrs those poor girls were no longer alive. I would definitely be looking into the Meth ring. People on that shit are out if their minds and a Meth head that's been screwed over is like a bull in a china shop. I hope they find answers soon. I just have a feeling its not going to be a good outcome.

This has become so sad that every other time I turn on the news, more children fall victim to mentally unbalanced people. (usually someone they know)
I also completely agree with Softballmama. Hopefully those girls didn't suffer and/or are not suffering now. I am not pessimistic, but from what I have read about these cases, it seems unlikely they will be found unharmed. Bless those 2 girls. <3

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Missing Iowa girls case: Van driver in surveillance
photos speaks to authorities
August 2, 2012 12:08 PM

(CBS/AP) EVANSDALE, Iowa - Authorities say a man seen in a surveillance photo has spoken to investigators and is not a suspect in the abduction of Iowa cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins.

FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault says the man and a white van had been seen at an Evansdale convenience store about 2 p.m. July 13, two hours before firefighters found the bicycles of 9-year-old Elizabeth and 10-year-old Lyric. The man spoke to investigators on Wednesday.

The man was identified by KWWL-TV as 34-year old Mike Knief of Evansdale. He told the station he had recognized himself in surveillance photos released by the FBI and immediately contacted authorities.

"We got things all sorted out and they released me and said I wasn't a suspect in any way or anything. It's just they were following the leads," Knief told the station in a phone interview.

Mike Knief told KWWL that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and had no information related to the cousins' disappearance.

Authorities say they believe the girls were abducted.

Earlier Wednesday, Capt. Rick Abben of the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office, said investigators were aware of a reported abduction attempt of a Cedar Rapids boy by people in a van. Abben says it's impossible to tell whether the Cedar Rapids incident is somehow related to the missing girls.

Source

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
This news is old but seems to be along the lines of what most of us are thinking.

Father of missing Iowa girl, Lyric Cook-Morrissey,
under supervision for ongoing drug charges
July 20, 2012 6:01 PM

CBS/AP) EVANSDALE, Iowa - Authorities in Iowa have taken steps to keep a closer watch on the father of one of two missing cousins, a man with a lengthy criminal history who stopped cooperating with police in the week-old investigation, court records showed Friday.

A judge has ordered Daniel Morrissey, 36, placed in a pretrial supervision program of the Iowa Department of Corrections while he faces September trials in two separate drug cases. The change means Morrissey, who has been free on bond, will be supervised by parole officers who will make sure he shows up in court and does not violate the terms of his release.

Morrissey is the father of 10-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey, who vanished near an Evansdale lake while riding bikes with her cousin, 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins.

Black Hawk County Chief Deputy Rick Abben said Thursday evening he's not sure why the couple had stopped cooperating, but it created a distraction for investigators. He said Morrissey and his wife aren't considered suspects and the investigation is still considered a search for missing persons. Abben did confirm that Morrissey took polygraph tests earlier in the week.

Meanwhile, a special FBI dive team used sonar equipment Friday to search the 26-acre Meyers Lake, and divers planned to go underneath the surface later Friday, FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said. The girls' bicycles were found on a path near the lake.

Meyers Lake, near an interstate in northeast Iowa, is stocked with fish and popular for fishing. Investigators dredged it after the girls disappeared and began draining the water before halting that operation Thursday because the FBI dive team needs at least 6 feet of water for its sonar equipment to function.

On Friday, parts of the lake were nearly empty, with the sandy and muddy bottom showing, but other areas still had up to 20 feet of murky water. FBI agents made laps of the lake in an Iowa Department of Natural Resources boat, while four other agents slowly walked along the shore, looking for evidence. They waded into water that ranged from ankle-deep to chest-high.

Black Hawk County Chief Deputy Rick Abben said agents were looking for the girls' bodies as well as anything in the lake that might be evidence. He said a search last weekend with sonar equipment operated by DNR found nothing in the lake, but FBI's technology is far superior.

The FBI uses two kinds of sonar -- one that can detect debris in murky water and another that provides a 360-degree analysis of the bottom of the lake. That device is mounted on a tripod that sends signals to computers on the surface helping direct divers where to search.

"It's high-tech," Abben said. "It should be pretty good stuff."

Source

Back