Latest: Missing Iowa Girls (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
Maybe it's just the type of parent I am...we're all different..no better, no worse...but I could not rest or emotionally remove myself from the situation if this had happened to me. Too many times over the past 23 years I have sat and wondered, when one of my kids went out, what if... It didn't consume me but it was always a damn, what if.

There is no way that I could compose myself to be that calm on TV with one or two of my kids out there somewhere and missing. If I wasn't out hunting the whereabouts of my kid/s then I'd be doing whatever the police wanted/needed me to do - hands down.

Need a polygraph? Frig, lets do 10 of them, wait...how about 20? And they can beat me or torture me too. Atleast that way they can clear me as a suspect and then get their focus beyond the immediate family and look for actual suspects that might have been in the area and I could get on with doing what I would have been doing: looking for my kid even if it killed me.

When the Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka killings happened I was a volunteer looking for both girls in 100+ temps, climbing walls, pecking through woods, searching abandoned houses or buildings, going through garbage bins, etc. My wife and I only had Atwo kids at that time but it seemed instinctual to atleast help look.

And as of this morning, no updates, aRyan...no leads no nothing.
AMEN to that DeathHand, Amen.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
AMEN to that DeathHand, Amen.
I know that my going crazy and trying to search would probably be useless but I'd atleast try. I could never understand, and still can't, why parents sit infront of the news cameras day after day and sob as they plead to for their baby to be brought home. I'm sure that a murderer or abductor is going to be watching TV and happens to see that on the news and decides, "Ya, ok...I better bring the kid back." Not going to happen and never has.

Seems that quite often the parents pulling the good sob act are the ones that are somehow responsible for their baby going missing. The father of one of the girls in this case, that has abuse and drug charges against him, is young and looks fit: so get in your truck dude and join the search after you take your polygraphs and pass.

And with the Bernardo/Homolka case, most Ontarians were glued to the TV when the news broke about the abduction of the 2 teenage girls. I was too, until I saw that the police were organizing volunteer search parties to look for Kristen French. The next day I hopped onto my Harley, rode to Burlington and signed up. Seemed more useful that watching the tube. But it was a bit scary too: what if I found her body, or if the woman beside me did, or if the other biker dude tripped and realized it was a body. I went out with the teams for about 4 or 5 days before Kristens body was found...but no where near our search area or even the same city. But atleast we searched.

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
I know that my going crazy and trying to search would probably be useless but I'd atleast try. I could never understand, and still can't, why parents sit infront of the news cameras day after day and sob as they plead to for their baby to be brought home. I'm sure that a murderer or abductor is going to be watching TV and happens to see that on the news and decides, "Ya, ok...I better bring the kid back." Not going to happen and never has.

Seems that quite often the parents pulling the good sob act are the ones that are somehow responsible for their baby going missing. The father of one of the girls in this case, that has abuse and drug charges against him, is young and looks fit: so get in your truck dude and join the search after you take your polygraphs and pass.

And with the Bernardo/Homolka case, most Ontarians were glued to the TV when the news broke about the abduction of the 2 teenage girls. I was too, until I saw that the police were organizing volunteer search parties to look for Kristen French. The next day I hopped onto my Harley, rode to Burlington and signed up. Seemed more useful that watching the tube. But it was a bit scary too: what if I found her body, or if the woman beside me did, or if the other biker dude tripped and realized it was a body. I went out with the teams for about 4 or 5 days before Kristens body was found...but no where near our search area or even the same city. But atleast we searched.
I am of the same conclusion DH, I think that the ONLY way I would be able to hold myself together (maybe) is if I was out there doing EVERYTHING within my power to search for her. It's not even A question of "if" I would, I would! And Bravo to you for actually being someone who cared enough to go out there and help those people search for their missing child! That is not only A kind hearted thing for you to do but also very brave of you, for the reason's you stated, what if you found her, or the person next to you. I really don't know how that situation would play out for me. Your A great Daddy and your girl's are very lucky to have you!;)

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
This case is going the way of so many others. Voracious attention at the beginning and now its fading into an occasional blurb. It sickens me.
I was thinking the exact same thing the other day, it made me sad that they aren't so much of A priority in the News and media now. They should be, they deserve for people to still care and keep searching for them.:(

ramblar

Forum Veteran
The medias attention span is as fickle as a two year old the day after Christmas. No news, no ratings, no money in the bank. And as sad as the truth is, there are very few cases were if the victims were not found within one week, they are already dead. 85% of these type of cases are perpetrated by someone who never had, or barely had any contact with the victims. That is what makes them so hard to catch, and it is probably not the first, or last time this person has done something like this.

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
It's very sad to say but I don't think that they are finding these girls alive. Even if it were drug dealers holding them for ransom or to keep them from giving info to the police, by now they'd be afraid that the police/feds would find them and they'd dump the girls somewhere..dead.

I personally don't think the parents had anything to do with it.. well at least have anything to do with the actual kidnapping.. the girl, not her cousin also, would have only disappeared if that were the case imo.

Maybe the Feds should have thought two young girls were worth more than $5,000 dollars in the beginning. Maybe a $100,000 dollar reward would have opened more eyes. The fact that the reward was only $5,000 dollars infuriates me, as I stated in my thread about the girls.

Such a sad story.

D.N.R.

Medication time
It's very sad to say but I don't think that they are finding these girls alive. Even if it were drug dealers holding them for ransom or to keep them from giving info to the police, by now they'd be afraid that the police/feds would find them and they'd dump the girls somewhere..dead.

I personally don't think the parents had anything to do with it.. well at least have anything to do with the actual kidnapping.. the girl, not her cousin also, would have only disappeared if that were the case imo.

Maybe the Feds should have thought two young girls were worth more than $5,000 dollars in the beginning. Maybe a $100,000 dollar reward would have opened more eyes. The fact that the reward was only $5,000 dollars infuriates me, as I stated in my thread about the girls.

Such a sad story.

Is it the feds or the family who put up the reward money?

ramblar

Forum Veteran
The Feds I believe. They offer more money for info on fugitive drug dealers.
Do you guys remember that Mel Gibson movie where he offered more money to who ever caught the guys that kidnapped his son than they demanded for the ransom?

D.N.R.

Medication time
I have always thought it was the family. If it is the feds I wonder how the fuck they decide who is worth $50,000 vs who is worth only $5,000?

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
I have always thought it was the family. If it is the feds I wonder how the fuck they decide who is worth $50,000 vs who is worth only $5,000?

Well if it was the family that pays then what happens when someone that is just getting by with each weeks check and something like that happens?

D.N.R.

Medication time
Well if it was the family that pays then what happens when someone that is just getting by with each weeks check and something like that happens?
Idk but that is why I was thinking they have such a small amount put up in this case. I figured they raise the money in the community. I will try to research this a bit.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
In the US, I think that the monetary reward system differs from state to state. Sometimes the money is collected from private donors, Crime Stoppers (or similar programs) and often money from the family. In some states, the police departments are required to kick in a percentage of the reward money from their budget.

In Canada, most provinces raise reward cash from the local police departments budget. Any donations or family contributions are added.

As a general rule, if a crime is solved and the reward goes unclaimed, the money is used for rewards in other unsolved crimes (minus family contributions which are returned).

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Missing Iowa Girls Get Nascar Drivers' Attention

Aug. 2, 2012

LONG POND, Pa. (AP) - Two young Iowa cousins missing for nearly three weeks have gotten the attention of two NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers.

Cars driven by BK Racing teammates Landon Cassill and Travis Kvapil will feature photos of the girls at the Pennsylvania 400 at Pocono Raceway on Sunday. The decals also will include a phone number for the National Missing Children hotline.

Ten-year-old Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins, whose 9th birthday was Tuesday, disappeared July 13 while riding their bikes in Evansdale.

Cassill is from Cedar Rapids, Iowa,

"Being from Iowa, and having some other folks in the sport from Iowa, we're all pulling together to raise as much attention as possible to help locate the two missing girls," Cassill said. "I really want to do as much as possible and this is one step. I can't thank the team enough for doing this."

Kvapil hopes the effort will put a national spotlight on the investigation.

"As a parent, I want to do anything I can to help the families locate their children," Kvapil said. "I'm pleased that we have the special decals on our cars this weekend and I hope that this will aid in the search."

Source

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
Missing Iowa Girls Get Nascar Drivers' Attention

Aug. 2, 2012

LONG POND, Pa. (AP) - Two young Iowa cousins missing for nearly three weeks have gotten the attention of two NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers.

Cars driven by BK Racing teammates Landon Cassill and Travis Kvapil will feature photos of the girls at the Pennsylvania 400 at Pocono Raceway on Sunday. The decals also will include a phone number for the National Missing Children hotline.

Ten-year-old Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins, whose 9th birthday was Tuesday, disappeared July 13 while riding their bikes in Evansdale.

Cassill is from Cedar Rapids, Iowa,

"Being from Iowa, and having some other folks in the sport from Iowa, we're all pulling together to raise as much attention as possible to help locate the two missing girls," Cassill said. "I really want to do as much as possible and this is one step. I can't thank the team enough for doing this."

Kvapil hopes the effort will put a national spotlight on the investigation.

"As a parent, I want to do anything I can to help the families locate their children," Kvapil said. "I'm pleased that we have the special decals on our cars this weekend and I hope that this will aid in the search."

Source
That is truly commendable of them. Using their resources to aide in the search and keeping the spot light on the fact that they are still missing and that people still care and want to help anyway possible. They are already winners in my book!:tu:

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
That is truly commendable of them. Using their resources to aide in the search and keeping the spot light on the fact that they are still missing and that people still care and want to help anyway possible. They are already winners in my book!:tu:
Hopefully it will help and maybe jog someones memory. At this point anything will help - it just takes that one person to remember someone.

Back