Latest: Missing Iowa Girls (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
FBI dive team set to search for missing Iowa girls

By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 5:20 AM EDT, Fri July 20, 2012

Evansdale, Iowa (CNN) -- A week after two young cousins went missing near a lake in Iowa, the FBI is set to deploy divers and sonar Friday in an attempt to find them, an agency official said.

The FBI dive team will employ two types of sonar in the search at Meyers Lake, spokeswoman Sandy Breault said Thursday.

Authorities drained about half of the 25-acre lake Thursday when the pumping operation was halted after three days, city officials said.
Lyric Cook, 10, and her cousin Elizabeth Collins, 8, were last seen by their grandmother on July 13 when they left on a bike ride.

Their bicycles and a purse were found near Meyers Lake hours after they were reported missing.

Scent dogs following the girls' trail led searchers around the lake and stopped at the water's edge, according to Lyric's mother, Misty Cook-Morrissey.

Meanwhile, authorities have searched the home of Cook-Morrissey and Wylma Cook, who is a grandmother to both girls, with the women's consent.

The two women said they also provided investigators with a key to get into the attic.

Investigators confiscated Cook-Morrisey's computers with her consent, she said.

Daniel Morrisey, Lyric's father, said he walked out of a police polygraph session this week because investigators accused him of hurting the girls and knowing where they are.

Officials began draining the lake on Monday. The FBI is bringing a side-scanning and 360-degree sonar that needs at least 6 feet of water to function.

Divers were expected to go into the water Friday, she said. But Cook-Morrissey said she thinks it's unlikely the girls will be found there, suggesting they might have been kidnapped.

"They don't swim there. My daughter is familiar with swimming in lakes, so I don't think she would be scared of this lake, but they don't come here and swim here," she said.

"Because we haven't found them anywhere in the surrounding area, I feel like maybe they were taken."

And Lyric's grandmother, Wylma Cook, said she doesn't believe that the girls intended to go swimming.

The family has been questioned, polygraphed and had information taken from their cell phones, a process Cook-Morrissey said is hard but necessary.

"We know that it's a necessary measure they have to take to get as much information as they can and of course rule us out, so we did what we have to do," she said.

The small community of population 4,751 in northeast Iowa has never suffered through anything like the worrying going on now, the mayor said.

The search remains a missing persons case, authorities said.

Source

Elizabeth-Collins--Lyric-Cook-Morrissey-missing-Iowa-girls-jpg.jpg

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
I wish they would focus outside of that damn lake.. I mean, I'm sure that they are.. but so far anything the articles have said it's only about the lake because the dogs stopped there. I hope they have a wider search going than the lake and surrounding area/woods.

Also, isn't it true that a search dog will always stop at the water because they can't pick up a scent in the water?..

KG

stalking
I wish they would focus outside of that damn lake.. I mean, I'm sure that they are.. but so far anything the articles have said it's only about the lake because the dogs stopped there. I hope they have a wider search going than the lake and surrounding area/woods.

Also, isn't it true that a search dog will always stop at the water because they can't pick up a scent in the water?..

Well that is partly true. They said last night that the dogs went to the water then another one went towards the woods. Those girls aren't in the water. This whole thing is fishy to me. Either they knew the person or there were 2.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Iowa Missing Girls Case Now Considered Abduction

By ASSOCIATED PRESS | July 20, 2012

EVANSDALE, Iowa — A law enforcement official says the search for two missing Iowa girls is being classified as an abduction after an FBI team failed to find their bodies in a lake.

Black Hawk County Chief Deputy Rick Abben told reporters Friday that the case was reclassified after FBI divers were confident the bodies of 10-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey and 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins are not on the bottom of Meyers Lake in Evansdale.

The cousins disappeared a week ago while riding bikes near the lake.

Abben says investigators have sent evidence to a state crime lab for analysis. He would not elaborate or say what the evidence was.

He says investigators do not believe the girls are lost because they would have been found by now.

Source

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I suppose that all things considered, they had no choice but to check the lake even though they were probably just as sure as many of us were that the girls were not in it. And atleast they have ruled out the lake as the location of the girls and now with that out of the way gives them more focus as this being an abduction.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I feel SO badly for BOTH set's of Parent's, and I could not imagine the Terror they are going through and the helpless feeling of not being able to help their Girl's! Jesus, my heart is with them ALL!:(
And probably something worse for the parents of both girls is that the police have pulled out their past criminal activity and convictions (mostly meth-drug-lab related within a drug ring). The father of one of the girls is awaiting trial for his meth-lab charges from last year and his wife just got out of prison in May. These two are also in the process of a divorce. The other parents have similar convictions.

I suppose that the police have to cover anything relevant.

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
And probably something worse for the parents of both girls is that the police have pulled out their past criminal activity and convictions (mostly meth-drug-lab related within a drug ring). The father of one of the girls is awaiting trial for his meth-lab charges from last year and his wife just got out of prison in May. These two are also in the process of a divorce. The other parents have similar convictions.

I suppose that the police have to cover anything relevant.
No SHIT!?! Wow........You know that the parent's are gonna be under A microscope now! I just hope the Po-Po focus on looking for the girl's and not focus on whether the Parent's were to blame for some shit reason because they have questionable past's! Oh, and Thank You for the update's DH!:tu:

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Yep, maybe some drug connection sleeze took them.
Ya, I think that's what the police are looking at: the parents were involved in a major meth drug ring and got caught. Others won't be so happy about that.

I'm always paranoid something will happen when I'm watching my siblings' kids. I would feel horrible. I can't imagine what the parents are feeling, shitty past or not.
This type of situation was my worst nightmare when the boys were small. I imagined them wondering where I was, why I wasn't saving them, the pain.....I would work myself up to the point of being ill, like right now.
I raised 4 girls and I could not even begin to imagine...well maybe I could. I think that most parents think about this stuff when it happens to others and they can understand the feelings and the pain. With my girls I was always petrified that something might happen to them when they went out and I wasn't there. And I still am.

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
Ya, I think that's what the police are looking at: the parents were involved in a major meth drug ring and got caught. Others won't be so happy about that.

I raised 4 girls and I could not even begin to imagine...well maybe I could. I think that most parents think about this stuff when it happens to others and they can understand the feelings and the pain. With my girls I was always petrified that something might happen to them when they went out and I wasn't there. And I still am.
I understand about the whole "I still am" part because as A Parent, no matter HOW big your kid's get, or what age they become we will ALWAY'S feel A responsibility to protect our children. My "baby" just left the nest for the 1st time, and it is SO hard on me NOT being able to see her daily, or know that she is o.k. no matter what time of the day it is. I think this is going to take me quite AWHILE to get used to the fact she is growing up and taking care of her own need's now. I still WANT to protect her at whatever age she become's. It's MY job as Mama.

Tooly

Tier One
I understand about the whole "I still am" part because as A Parent, no matter HOW big your kid's get, or what age they become we will ALWAY'S feel A responsibility to protect our children. My "baby" just left the nest for the 1st time, and it is SO hard on me NOT being able to see her daily, or know that she is o.k. no matter what time of the day it is. I think this is going to take me quite AWHILE to get used to the fact she is growing up and taking care of her own need's now. I still WANT to protect her at whatever age she become's. It's MY job as Mama.
I've never met you and never will, but I can take a pretty good stab at the FURY that would emanate from you if someone did anything to your kids! You sound like the mummy that every kid should have!

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
I've never met you and never will, but I can take a pretty good stab at the FURY that would emanate from you if someone did anything to your kids! You sound like the mummy that every kid should have!
Thank You Toolamondo that mean's more than you can know! I truly appreciate that you can see the love and care I have for my babies. Your word's have touched my Heart!

Tooly

Tier One
Thank You Toolamondo that mean's more than you can know! I truly appreciate that you can see the love and care I have for my babies. Your word's have touched my Heart!
No Probs. It gladdens the heart to come across people who cherish their kids. Seen too many that don't which depresses me! Kids have a right to be loved, and we parent's should find it a privilege to do so!

Back