Man dies after falling into tank of sulfuric acid at work, officials say (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SPHINCTERPUNCH

THE SPHINCTER PUNCHER!
I can see how that could happen! My Dad used to Weld up and Repair Transport Truck Frames! They'd Sandblast then Dip the Frames in these Huge Vats of Acid to Expose Micro Cracks and Fissures in the Frames,Then Weld-em Up! It used to Creep Me the Fuck Out; B'cuz that was exactly what I used to think could happen! And "lo and behold" Dufus makes the splash in the Acid Tank! Poor Bastard!...SP

Brainfart

Don't take what I say seriously...
Happened to this guy, besides the face he's alright...
images.jpeg

Gone crazy back soon

Farts in elevators
OSHA can fine businesses until the cows come home and it will never stop things like this from happening. Human nature is too unpredictable for one agency to keep everyone safe. I've worked dangerous jobs my entire adult life and have witnessed many serious injuries and deaths on the job. High stakes manufacturing isn't a matter of if you will get hurt, it's a matter of when and how bad.

Mr G

Rookie
Once knew a manager who I will refer to as "Black Beth", in order to keep her anonymity. She worked at Walkers crisps prior to gaining a job in the place I worked and the genuine though was if you saw anyone fall into one of the vats of hot oil where the crisps were cooked, just keep their head under as it was by far the kindest thing to do, as you aint gonna wish to survive that one..

wiggins

Forum Veteran
My dad died in a very similar way, he used to work for a UK whiskey distillery, and fell into one of the giant vats of whiskey, people are often very shocked when I tell them this and say things lke 'How awful' or ''What a terrible way to die'. but I reply honestly and tell them It must have been quite a pleasant death as he got out twice to have a piss.
That's hysterical!

Brainfart

Don't take what I say seriously...
Did you even watch the movie?!? He didn't make it in the end, had a nasty fall.... again.
He comes back to life. he got beat to death by some rednecks, he got strangled by a mute indian...Matt Damon shot him. He has more lives than a cat...

BloodyRedHead

If this is reality then hell would be a vacation.
I can't imagine how bad that must have felt,I got a chemical burn at work from industrial bleach and that hurt like a bitch,left a scar and took a month to heal.I hope they gave him plenty on pain meds.

whiteboyopie

Forum Veteran
🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨

Here comes OSHA to the rescue.
Fining , more fines, to companies who fail to remind people " do not fall or jump into the tub of acid - Severe burning may occur".

Man who fell into chemical solution in South Lyon dies

A 54-year-old worker died after he fell into a vat of sulfuric acid at a South Lyon-based steel manufacturing firm in what is being described as a "serious industrial accident."
Daniel Hill was fully submerged in the 10 percent to 12 percent sulfuric acid solution Saturday afternoon as his Michigan Seamless Tube co-workers worked desperately to pull him from the industrial container, burning themselves from the at least 160-degree chemical solution, Fire Chief Robert Vogel said.

"Other employees, co-workers saw him in the tank," Vogel said. "He was completely submerged and was 100 percent covered in burns. The gentleman was trying to get out. They ran and grabbed him and pulled him out."

Roughly 11 hours later, Hill died of chemical burns at 11:30 p.m. Saturday, said Kristin LaMaire, administrative assistant to the Washtenaw County Medical Examiner.
South Lyon police responded to an emergency call at about 12:21 p.m. that day to the manufacturing facility at 400 McMunn St., Police Chief Chris Sovik said. The employees had put Hill under a safety shower, and medics then transported him to the University Hospital in Ann Arbor.

"He was speaking when we were there," Vogel said. "He was walking and talking. Unfortunately, he passed. It was pretty extreme burns."
It was unclear how Hill ended up in the vat and how long it was before he was rescued, he said.

The co-workers who assisted Hill sustained burns to their hands, Vogel said. Medics treated them at the scene
Pardeep Toor, public information officer for the Michigan Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Department, said in an emailed statement that MIOSHA's investigation of the incident has begun.

"MIOSHA cannot provide information on an open investigation," he said. "Typically, this type of investigation may take several weeks or months to complete."

Michigan Seamless Tube, one of South Lyon's largest employers, has had seven workplace safety violations since 2012, according to the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, with fines totaling $93,000

The state of Michigan fined the company $17,500 for a repeated violation in August of not guarding or protecting six employees from "pinch points," places where people or body parts could be caught in a machine or between equipment.

Regulators found Michigan Seamless Tube had four "serious" violations in 2012. That included four instances of unguarded pinch points exposed to 18 employees resulted in a $35,000 settlement.

Another serious violation related to the company's control of hazardous energy and also resulted in a $35,000 fine.

The final two serious violations included a $2,500 fine for not conducting annual inspections of energy control procedures. Regulators also determined 18 employees did not receive training on hazardous energy sources, resulting in another $2,500 fine.

A failure to log an injury within seven days in 2012 also constituted a $1,000 fine, as well.

In 2014, the state also found the company was not keeping storage areas free from accumulated materials that could cause a fire or explosion or harbor pests. The violation affected 12 employees, though no fine was issued.

Sovik, the police chief, also recalled in 2007 that police were dispatched to the company when an individual was hit with a heavy piece of machinery and died. His name was Kevin Wilson, an operator at the company, according to the United Steelworkers trade union.

The United Steelworkers could not be reached immediately for comment on Saturday's incident.

Michigan Seamless Tube is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hammond, Indiana-based Specialty Steels Works Inc. The company emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2017 and renamed from Optima Specialty Steel. It also owns steel manufacturers Niagara LaSalle Corp. in Hammond and Corey Steel Co. in Cicero, Illinois.
ANY PICS?

Back