Man VS Landmine (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
* Possible repost...

I'm not sure if this poor sap was a civilian or a militant (different sites give different accounts).

At any rate, he did died after some sort of run-in with a good sized landmine.

Afghanistan, 2010 or 2012.

land-mine-destroys-man-1-Afghanistan-2012.jpg

land-mine-destroys-man-2-Afghanistan-2012.jpg

land-mine-destroys-man-3-Afghanistan-2012.jpg

land-mine-destroys-man-4-Afghanistan-2012.jpg

land-mine-destroys-man-5-Afghanistan-2012.jpg

land-mine-destroys-man-6-Afghanistan-2012.jpg

land-mine-destroys-man-7-Afghanistan-2012.jpg

land-mine-destroys-man-8-Afghanistan-2012.jpg

land-mine-destroys-man-9-Afghanistan-2012.jpg

Nex

You've Heard It All Before
I can't tell at all from what's left of his clothes if he belonged to Afghan Police, or could be coalition. It's not often you see an Afghan with a shaved head?

Or am I wrong? I've heard of suicide bombers shaving the hair off their body before going through with it..

Mental Puppy

Tudinem Mortem
That landmine wasn't made to maim. Although it could have been intended for a tank or vehicle. Unfortunate for the guy to step on it. Had little to no chance.

McM

ARSELING
That landmine wasn't made to maim. Although it could have been intended for a tank or vehicle. Unfortunate for the guy to step on it. Had little to no chance.

Difficult to say here, not enough infos. Normally you can't ignite a tank mine by stepping on it and for a anti-person mine he's destroyed too much. Maybe an improvised device or something totally different.

OneSickOne

Kinky as a twisted chain
This mine was made for vehicles of some type and I bet it was a command detonated mine. He was probably placing it when it went off by accident. It is way too large and deep for personnel as others have already mentioned.

Reactions: McM

OneSickOne

Kinky as a twisted chain
Anti vehicle mines can't be pressure plated by a human even with operational kit on. (not any that i know of)

Anti personel mines are made to injure and then take out 3 other guys to deal with the injured.

Improvised devices are made to do both.

I don't think it's a command pull, (I was a Goldie operator in Afghan it was my role to detect lines with a Goldie device, when on our daily treks.) and I have never seen anything like this. They would not command pull something like this, they usually use tubes with welded in bottoms like a rudementary cannon as a command pull.

FYI the depth is the hole due to the explosives, it was probably being placed or it was surface set or near to it.

This looks like what we would call a spider IED, usually remotely set off via mobile phone signal or radio signal. We had counters to this when over there, with small portable ECM packs with different fill and coloured units to block RF signals from setting them off , it creates a bubble of safety. They use larger ones on vehicles. You'll usually tell by the large antennas they have.

Okay so what do i think, It is deffinetley made for humans to step on, the field it is placed in is where your average squaddie would step, it's not near a road, they dont plant vehicle bombs outwith the road structures. This was made for humans.

So it's an improvised device that this poor fella has stepped on, (burried shallow as i already said) It's probably been placed years ago and forgotten about and they have used a pressure plate, i think. possibly a plastic bottle with 2 wires inside and when burried slightly and stood on it crushed the bottle and makes connection, then bye bye.
You certainly have more recent experience than I do, so I will defer to your judgement. The only thing I am not clear on, and I am sure you can explain, is why the hole would be so deep with a small anti-personnel charge. The force of the blast would take the path of least resistance which would be up and not down.

OneSickOne

Kinky as a twisted chain
When an IED is placed 6" below the ground it doesnt matter the charge, it usually makes a decent dent downwards as well, obviously the amount of HME they use deters the hole size but you'll ALWAYS have a hole downwards Unles it's placed on solid granite rock. That charge isnt a typical small charge used to blow a leg off, they have placed that with the hopes ot taking the man ouit and the next guy 10m behind 10 m infront down also. This is why i was super efficient at my 5's and 20's when in afghan and ALWAYS wore my yellow glasses (even with people laughing due to the sun and 50c heat), they all wore shades, which dont pick up contrast like yellow does. This is why i still have a cock, balls and 2 working legs.

I have been fairly close to some of these andn ormally they are dug down and pressure plated with 2 wooden strips with copper wires set to touch of stood on. (burried obviosuly) and also they use our plastic water bottles to make a rudementary pressure plate.

The 1st working Dogs Regiment guy (Tom) that was attached to our unit is my personal hero. They pick up everything they dogs.

the mechanics of an explosion are a sphere, sink that sphere half into the ground and there's your hole. mud wont stop that from happening. It takes much more robust materials like rock armoured metal to affect its blast pattern.
Thanks for the explanation. I am glad you returned home and whole.

Back