Massive hoard of Roman-era silver coins unearthed in Germany (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
More than 5,500 silver coins buried by a river about 1,800 years ago are now in the hands of archaeologists, following the hoard's discovery in Augsburg, Germany.

At the time of the coins' burial, the Roman Empire was in full swing, with its coinage reaching all corners of its territory and beyond.

These coins "are denarii, the standard silver denomination during the 1st-early 3rd century [A.D.]," Stefan Krmnicek, a professor of ancient numismatics (the study of coins) at the University of Tübingen in Germany, told Live Science in an email.

Archaeologists found the hoard earlier this year in an old riverbed. But though the coins were scattered in the newly dug pit, that likely wasn't how they were originally placed. "The place of hiding was probably washed away many centuries later by a flood of the Wertach river, scattering the coins in the river gravel," Krmnicek said.

"We have just started cleaning and studying the material," but so far, it appears that "the youngest coin of the hoard was minted at the beginning of the 3rd century [A.D.], thus dating the deposition of the hoard in the early 3rd century," Krmnicek said. "We currently hypothesize that the hoard was buried in the early 3rd century outside the Roman city of Augusta Vindelicum, near the Via Claudia Augusta [a Roman road] running there."

At that time, Augusta Vindelicum was the capital of the Roman province of Raetia, Krmnicek said. Why the hoard was buried is an ongoing mystery that researchers are trying to solve.

"We do not yet know why the hoard was deposited," Krmnicek said, noting that Leo Brey, a doctoral candidate at the University of Tübingen, is trying to solve this "riddle" in his research. The hoard was excavated by Sebastian Gairhos, director of the Archaeological Service of the City of Augsburg. No artifacts other than the coins were found with the hoard.

Rabidface

Forum Veteran
I go metal detecting and this would be an ideal find for me :)
You need to find parts of the UK that have been fields for thousands of years. Which will probably be possible to research.
I bet there's stuff at the Royal families properties dropped hunting foxes and stuff.
It's a hobby I'd enjoy. Aqua chugger on YouTube went in a stream or small river in America and found a load of silver coins. That might be worth a try if your kit is waterproof.

You need to find parts of the UK that have been fields for thousands of years. Which will probably be possible to research.
I bet there's stuff at the Royal families properties dropped hunting foxes and stuff.
It's a hobby I'd enjoy. Aqua chugger on YouTube went in a stream or small river in America and found a load of silver coins. That might be worth a try if your kit is waterproof.
It is brother @Rabidface, water proof I mean :)

31356944-48FC-44C8-8262-879D5BE11047.jpeg

This is one of my fave finds :)
Silver shilling from 1816 silver
George the 3rd
Thanks @ZeroK :) as I forgot to put the George part!

Last edited:

McM

ARSELING
A good (and known) place here was to look under bridges (fords) over the rivers. Because 9000 armies have crossed them in the past x-thousand years and lost their gold and weapons when they got ambushed in this situation.
Searching for metal is illegal though and even if you search on your own property, you'd have to hand over findings to the authorities if they're historically relevant.

WickedMal

🖤 Death Queen 🖤
Super Moderator
A good (and known) place here was to look under bridges (fords) over the rivers. Because 9000 armies have crossed them in the past x-thousand years and lost their gold and weapons when they got ambushed in this situation.
Searching for metal is illegal though and even if you search on your own property, you'd have to hand over findings to the authorities if they're historically relevant.
That's BS...finder's keepers heh

• Haha
Reactions: McM

Interregnum

first floor room 16
🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪

ASU-85

Forum Veteran
More than 5,500 silver coins buried by a river about 1,800 years ago are now in the hands of archaeologists, following the hoard's discovery in Augsburg, Germany.

At the time of the coins' burial, the Roman Empire was in full swing, with its coinage reaching all corners of its territory and beyond.

These coins "are denarii, the standard silver denomination during the 1st-early 3rd century [A.D.]," Stefan Krmnicek, a professor of ancient numismatics (the study of coins) at the University of Tübingen in Germany, told Live Science in an email.

Archaeologists found the hoard earlier this year in an old riverbed. But though the coins were scattered in the newly dug pit, that likely wasn't how they were originally placed. "The place of hiding was probably washed away many centuries later by a flood of the Wertach river, scattering the coins in the river gravel," Krmnicek said.

"We have just started cleaning and studying the material," but so far, it appears that "the youngest coin of the hoard was minted at the beginning of the 3rd century [A.D.], thus dating the deposition of the hoard in the early 3rd century," Krmnicek said. "We currently hypothesize that the hoard was buried in the early 3rd century outside the Roman city of Augusta Vindelicum, near the Via Claudia Augusta [a Roman road] running there."

At that time, Augusta Vindelicum was the capital of the Roman province of Raetia, Krmnicek said. Why the hoard was buried is an ongoing mystery that researchers are trying to solve.

"We do not yet know why the hoard was deposited," Krmnicek said, noting that Leo Brey, a doctoral candidate at the University of Tübingen, is trying to solve this "riddle" in his research. The hoard was excavated by Sebastian Gairhos, director of the Archaeological Service of the City of Augsburg. No artifacts other than the coins were found with the hoard.
Fucking wow love stuff like this 😎.

Guipago

Forum Veteran
I go metal detecting and this would be an ideal find for me :)
It'd be a Great find, my country doesn't have the history for finds like that, I get flyshit gold from the rivers, I do sniff around the hills for nuggets, had people living up & down the river since 1830's & have found a fine selection of junk, it's trash central.
What detector have you got?

It'd be a Great find, my country doesn't have the history for finds like that, I get flyshit gold from the rivers, I do sniff around the hills for nuggets, had people living up & down the river since 1830's & have found a fine selection of junk, it's trash central.
What detector have you got?
I started with a quick silver bounty hunter and now am upgraded to a minelab vanquish 540 and a xp mi-4 pinpointer :)
Got one of those nokta makro sand scoops aswell for beach :)
What you packing?

Guipago

Forum Veteran
I started with a quick silver bounty hunter and now am upgraded to a minelab vanquish 540 and a xp mi-4 pinpointer :)
Got one of those nokta makro sand scoops aswell for beach :)
What you packing?
Minelab junky, X-terra 70, GPX-5000, SDC-2300 & a Gold Monster 1000 on the way(not married hehe) finding gold is my thing, these tools will cover all depths, shallow or deep & most situations I come across.

Back