Massive hoard of Roman-era silver coins unearthed in Germany (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Minelab junky, X-terra 70, GPX-5000, SDC-2300 & a Gold Monster 1000 on the way(not married hehe) finding gold is my thing, these tools will cover all depths, shallow or deep & most situations I come across.
I knew you were going to say all the sickest gold detectors 😆😆I feel like an amateur now :)
Any big nugs ?
Do you watch Dan Hurd on YouTube?
May help you :)
Sounds like you don’t need it though lol

D.O.A.

We are Kings
Minelab junky, X-terra 70, GPX-5000, SDC-2300 & a Gold Monster 1000 on the way(not married hehe) finding gold is my thing, these tools will cover all depths, shallow or deep & most situations I come across.
I used to kick around here in the golden triangle years ago with an old Garrett detector, Creswick mostly, found enough to buy dirtbikes anyway. Get on the ASX and put some money or super on RED5 they're sitting on 2.4 million ounces and start digging it up in 6 months. For the next 16 years.

Guipago

Forum Veteran
I knew you were going to say all the sickest gold detectors 😆😆I feel like an amateur now :)
Any big nugs ?
Do you watch Dan Hurd on YouTube?
May help you :)
Sounds like you don’t need it though lol
Yep, watched a few of Hurd's vids & a lot of others, all about researching potential sites, haven't had luck yet with big nuggets(if it was raining women, I'd get hit in the head by a dyke!) Too many dickheads stuffing up sites & getting them closed. Your Vanquish sounds capable, especially if you have found stuff, with the higher order detectors there's a big learning curve, all good fun.
I used to kick around here in the golden triangle years ago with an old Garrett detector, Creswick mostly, found enough to buy dirtbikes anyway. Get on the ASX and put some money or super on RED5 they're sitting on 2.4 million ounces and start digging it up in 6 months. For the next 16 years.
That could be worth looking at! :tu::tu::tu: Creswick's name is coming up on the Aussie gold forums, guys still getting finds there.

HG

95T exp
I found these under a floor on the job I've been working on - I posted them in the random camera pics thread - I will post them again - if anyone shouts repost I will fall out with them...

From last week...

IMG_20211119_095932.jpg
IMG_20211119_095952.jpg
IMG_20211119_095942.jpg

I gave them to the customer - found a newspaper from 1929 aswell...

Attachments

• IMG_20211119_100039.jpg
    IMG_20211119_100039.jpg
    828.9 KB · Views: 16

D.O.A.

We are Kings
That could be worth looking at! :tu::tu::tu: Creswick's name is coming up on the Aussie gold forums, guys still getting finds there.
My family came outta there they had old 1800's mines on their property...used to go through the tailings as kids with grandad's Minelab in the late 80's. My uncle scored a good find on the land next door and split it with the owner, like 10 grand each. There's a shitload of gold still in those hills, I've even seen a guy running a sluice in a trench the council dug along the side of the road :lol:

freebsd

Well Known Member
More than 5,500 silver coins buried by a river about 1,800 years ago are now in the hands of archaeologists, following the hoard's discovery in Augsburg, Germany.

At the time of the coins' burial, the Roman Empire was in full swing, with its coinage reaching all corners of its territory and beyond.

These coins "are denarii, the standard silver denomination during the 1st-early 3rd century [A.D.]," Stefan Krmnicek, a professor of ancient numismatics (the study of coins) at the University of Tübingen in Germany, told Live Science in an email.

Archaeologists found the hoard earlier this year in an old riverbed. But though the coins were scattered in the newly dug pit, that likely wasn't how they were originally placed. "The place of hiding was probably washed away many centuries later by a flood of the Wertach river, scattering the coins in the river gravel," Krmnicek said.

"We have just started cleaning and studying the material," but so far, it appears that "the youngest coin of the hoard was minted at the beginning of the 3rd century [A.D.], thus dating the deposition of the hoard in the early 3rd century," Krmnicek said. "We currently hypothesize that the hoard was buried in the early 3rd century outside the Roman city of Augusta Vindelicum, near the Via Claudia Augusta [a Roman road] running there."

At that time, Augusta Vindelicum was the capital of the Roman province of Raetia, Krmnicek said. Why the hoard was buried is an ongoing mystery that researchers are trying to solve.

"We do not yet know why the hoard was deposited," Krmnicek said, noting that Leo Brey, a doctoral candidate at the University of Tübingen, is trying to solve this "riddle" in his research. The hoard was excavated by Sebastian Gairhos, director of the Archaeological Service of the City of Augsburg. No artifacts other than the coins were found with the hoard.
Planted the coins since newly minted roman coins aren't worth much until dug up on a riverbank.

Back