Michael Bruce Ross AKA The Roadside Strangler.

Eat Shit And Die

★Filthy European★

Michael Bruce Ross (July 26, 1959 – May 13, 2005) was an American serial killer. In 2005, he was executed by the state of Connecticut, making it the first execution in Connecticut (and the whole of New England) since 1960.

Early Life.

Ross was born in Putnam, Connecticut to Patricia Hilda Laine and Dan Graeme Ross. The oldest of four children, having two younger sisters and a younger brother, he grew up on a chicken farm in Brooklyn, Connecticut. Ross' home life was extremely dysfunctional; his mother, who had abandoned the family at least once and had been institutionalized, beat all four of her children, saving the worst for him.[ Some family and friends have suggested that he was also molested by his teenaged uncle, who committed suicide when Ross was six. He was a bright boy who performed well in school. He attended Killingly High School and later attended Cornell University, studied agricultural economics, and became an insurance salesman. He also exhibited antisocial behavior from a young age, however; he began stalking women in his sophomore year of college and, in his senior year, he committed his first rape. His first murder followed soon after.

Crime spree.

Between 1981 and 1984, Ross murdered eight girls and women aged between 14 and 25 in Connecticut and New York.
He raped seven out of his eight murder victims. He also was alleged to have raped, but not killed a 21-year old woman named Vivian Dobson in 1983.
Plainfield police rejected the possibility that Ross had been Vivian Dobson's rapist. They did not press charges and Ross made no confession.
Ross confessed to all of the eight murders, and he was convicted for the last four of them. He was sentenced to death on July 6, 1987, and spent the next 18 years on death row.


1. Dzung Ngoc Tu (25) – May 12, 1981. Cornell University student
2. Tammy Williams (17) – January 5, 1982. Brooklyn, Connecticut
3. Paula Perrera (16) – March 1, 1982.[4] Wallkill, New York
4. Debra Smith Taylor (23) – June 15, 1982. Griswold
5. Robin Dawn Stavinsky (19) – November 19, 1983. Norwich
6. April Brunais (14) – April 22, 1984. Griswold
7. Leslie Shelley (14) – April 22, 1984. Griswold
8. Wendy Baribeault (17) – June 13, 1984. Griswold


During his incaraceration, he met his fiancée, Susan Powers, of Oklahoma. Powers broke up with Ross in 2003 but still visited him until his death. He became a devout Catholic after his arrest in 1984, meeting regularly with two priests through the years and praying the rosary each morning. Ross had accomplishments, such as translating Braille, acting as a "big brother" to other inmates, and sponsoring an impoverished child from the Dominican Republic


Though he opposed the death penalty, Ross strongly supported his own death sentence in the last year of his life, saying that he wanted to spare his victims' families any more pain. According to Kathry Yeager, a Cornell graduate, Ross believed that he had been "forgiven by God" and that he would be going to "a better place" once he was executed. She said, "He's not being punished. He's moving on to life eternal. That's what is ironic about the death penalty. He's looking forward to the peace." Yeager also said that Ross had come to believe there was no way his death sentences would be commuted without forcing the victims' families to suffer through more legal hearings; and that he knew his life would be meaningful, even behind bars: "He's had a horrible life, and he's wanted to do good."
In spite of this, an hour before the execution was to take place in the early hours of January 26, 2005, Ross' lawyer, acting on behalf of Ross' father, obtained a two-day stay of execution. Ross was then scheduled to die by lethal injection on January 29, 2005, at 2:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. However, earlier in the day, the execution was again postponed because of doubts that Ross was mentally competent; having fought against his death sentence for 17 years, he suddenly waived his right to appeal. His attorney claimed that Ross was incompetent to waive appeals, as he was suffering from death row syndrome.
Vivian Dobson, whom Ross was alleged to have raped, became a vocal opponent of the death penalty in an effort to save Ross' life.
In his final days, Ross became an oblate, or associate, of the Benedictine Grange, a Roman Catholic monastic community in West Redding, Connecticut.
Ross was executed by lethal injection on May 13, 2005, at Osborn Correctional Institution in Somers, Connecticut. He was 45 years old. Ross did not request a special last meal before facing his execution, thereby dining on the regular prison meal of the day: turkey à la king with rice, mixed vegetables, white bread, fruit, and a beverage. When asked if he would like to make a last statement, he said, without opening his eyes, "No, thank you." Ross was pronounced dead at 2:25 a.m. His remains were buried at the Benedictine Grange Cemetery in Redding, Connecticut.
After the execution, Dr. Stuart Grassian, a psychiatrist who had argued that Ross was not competent to waive appeal, received a letter from Ross dated May 10, 2005, which read "Check, and mate. You never had a chance!"
Ross' execution was the first in Connecticut (and in all of New England) since 1960. It was also the first execution in Connecticut administered by lethal injection. As of 2010, Ross is the most recent inmate executed in Connecticut, although the state's death row houses 10 convicted murderers who are in various stages of legal appeals.

Order of execution.

Michael Bruce Ross' was the first execution in Connecticut in 2005, first execution in Connecticut since 1960, 22nd execution in the United States in 2005, and 966th execution in the United States since 1976.


Michael Ross appeared in a British television series about serial killers in 1995. The filmmakers who produced the segment gave him the nickname "The Roadside Strangler" because the other killers in the series had nicknames. One of the producers of the series said the name may have been the result of a brainstorming session at a motel bar. Ross was not called "The Roadside Strangler" by the Connecticut media or by local law enforcement while he was alive. The nickname has appeared sporadically in the media and on the Internet since it was added to Ross's Wikipedia entry in July 2009.



MICHAEL ROSS, center, convicted of killing eight young women, is escorted from Lisbon Town Hall by state police detectives Michael Malchik, left, and Frank Griffin on June 28, 1984, the day Ross confessed the murders to police. It was the first time investigators had met with Ross. (Courant.com File Photo)

Michael Ross under arrest

The victims

Dzung Ngoc Tu, victim.

Paula Perrera, victim.

Debra Taylor, victim.

April Brunais, victim.

Leslie Shelley, victim.

VICTIM LESLIE SHELLEY'S father, Edwin Shelley, talks to reporters outside the courthouse as his wife, Lera Shelley, wipes away tears after Ross was sentenced to death in June 1987 on six capital felony convictions, including one for the killing of their daughter and her best friend, April Brunais. (Courant.com File Photo)

Wendy Baribeault, victim.

VICTIM WENDY BARIBEAULT's father, sister and mother. Roger Baribeault, second from left, Cindy Baribeault, second from right, and Sharon Baribeault, right, thank state police Det. Michael Malchik, with back to camera, on June 29, 1984, the day after Michael Ross' arrest and confession. It was the investigation of their daughter's slaying that led police to Ross.
(Courant.com File Photo)

Tammy Williams, victim.

VICTIM TAMMY WILLIAMS' father and stepmother, Everett and Priscilla Williams of Brooklyn, Conn., shown in a November 1985 photo. After Ross pleaded no contest to killing their daughter, for which he received a life sentence, Everett Williams said. Anything less than the death penalty is totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. ? Justice is what I'm looking for. (Courant.com File Photo)

Robin Stravinsky, victim.

MEMBERS OF VICTIM ROBIN STAVINSKY'S family. Stepmother Joan Stavinksy, second from left, and sisters Jennifer Riquier, second from right, and Debbie Therrien, right, face the media outside the courthouse after the jury sentenced Ross to death in June 1987. (Courant.com File Photo)