Migaloo the Whale

thydevourer

silence da memories
-posted this under a different/ complete irrelevant thread as a regular post but thought it would be more appropriate to share it here-

Anyways meet Migaloo, the world's only albino humpback whale. He has been spotted nearly every year since his discovery in (1991?). It seems like the only way he presents himself is by breaching out of the water, trolling us humans with his magnificent beauty. There are rarely any pictures of him under water.

Migaloo_1440754c.jpg
3958B27C00000578-3836727-image-m-26_1476378253972.jpg
9062608-3x2-700x467.jpg
unnamed.jpg
e7b315d105fcfe895ba87602d7d39782.jpg
migaloo2_social-thumb.jpg
White-whale-631.jpg

Brainfart

I'm sorry if I have offended you
I remember reading that all humpback whales in the southern hemisphere meet in Antarctic waters, and then depending which females take which migratory route, decides which migratory route the males take.
migration.gif

They used to think that the humpback whales took the same path every year. But once they started identifying them(all whales have unique tail fluke) whales were turning up on different paths from year to year. It is believed northern hemisphere humpbacks do the same thing. As of yet, there is no evidence of northern and southern hemisphere whales intermixing. Another interesting thing I saw on a show a few weeks ago, whale shit helps growth of plankton, which feeds krill, which increases the whale's food supply. So the more whales, the more shit, which means more food, which means more whales.

Dohaeris

Lurker
-posted this under a different/ complete irrelevant thread as a regular post but thought it would be more appropriate to share it here-

Anyways meet Migaloo, the world's only albino humpback whale. He has been spotted nearly every year since his discovery in (1991?). It seems like the only way he presents himself is by breaching out of the water, trolling us humans with his magnificent beauty. There are rarely any pictures of him under water.

View attachment 409902View attachment 409903View attachment 409904View attachment 409905View attachment 409906View attachment 409907View attachment 409908
It’s probably been a long time since he died tho:death:

OP
thydevourer

thydevourer

silence da memories
I remember reading that all humpback whales in the southern hemisphere meet in Antarctic waters, and then depending which females take which migratory route, decides which migratory route the males take.View attachment 409938
They used to think that the humpback whales took the same path every year. But once they started identifying them(all whales have unique tail fluke) whales were turning up on different paths from year to year. It is believed northern hemisphere humpbacks do the same thing. As of yet, there is no evidence of northern and southern hemisphere whales intermixing. Another interesting thing I saw on a show a few weeks ago, whale shit helps growth of plankton, which feeds krill, which increases the whale's food supply. So the more whales, the more shit, which means more food, which means more whales.
Good information, thank you