Military aviation buffs only(otherwise you'll be bored shitless) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

ZeroK

SCIENCE AVENGER
A108B2FD-298D-41A5-BA3C-46A70B51A994.jpeg

Zargon the great

Well Known Member
I am a military history and relics buff in general. I also have the great luck to live near The Wright Patterson National Aviation Muesum. It is an absolute must for the military aircraft untrustiest. Fighter planes of every description, heavy bombers, German V-Weapons, Jap Zeros, just mind bobbling in scope. If you ever plan to come to Ohio, you MUST see this to believe it.

McM

ARSELING
Good plane. I think it was a bit more 'agile' than the German Bf-110 (and later models) and much better than the weak-powered (French motors) Hs-129.
But the two mentioned planes could be armed as 'tank busters' by a 30 mm cannon under the belly (even 75mm prototypes for the 129 existed)
Don't know if the Beaufighter has a similar configuration in one of its versions. Like the incredible Mosquito 'Tse-Tse' with its 57 mm gun.

ZeroK

SCIENCE AVENGER
Hi Zero, remember that pic I sent you of the P47 with it's wing tip blown away and 6 feet or so of .50 cal belt slapping around ?

That's the kind of weight of it being lifted into the wing. Imagine that slapping about at 200 kts...
Yes I remember, incredible. I think u may know our American saying ‘The Whole 9 Yards’ comes from the length of the ammo belt. Thanks

wiggins

Forum Veteran
Yes I remember, incredible. I think u may know our American saying ‘The Whole 9 Yards’ comes from the length of the ammo belt. Thanks
"Whole 9 yards" I assumed was from grid iron.

You know, this would not be the first time I've been wrong...

And thank you sir!

Back