Missing Colorado Girl (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Missing Colorado Girl's Backpack Found

Mon, Oct. 8, 2012.

(CNN) -- Colorado police searching for a missing 10-year-old girl said Sunday they found her backpack in a subdivision more than six miles away from her home, their first break in the case.

Police would not say what items were in the bag belonging to Jessica Ridgeway, who has been missing since Friday, except that some of the items had her name on them.

A homeowner in a subdivision in Superior found the bag on the sidewalk outside his house about 6.4 miles from the girl's hometown of Westminster. Both towns are along the Denver-Boulder Turnpike.

"We're trying to determine when it got there, why it got there," Westminster Police Investigator Trevor Materasso said, adding it's a big break in the case.

A bloodhound is being used at the scene where the bag was found, Materasso said.

Police had not previously been searching for Jessica in the area. They are now interviewing nearby residents, Materasso said.

Jessica was last seen by her mother as she left for school walking to a friend's house.

Authorities then issued a statewide Amber Alert for Jessica, who has blue eyes, blonde hair, and glasses.

She was last seen wearing blue jeans, a black puffy jacket with pink lining, and black boots with pom-poms, according to the Amber Alert.

Source

jessica-ridgeway2-missing-colorado-oct2012.jpg

jessica-ridgeway3-missing-colorado-oct2012.jpg

brizzy

Forum Veteran
A body was found in a field in Arvada colorado today. It hasn't been identified yet. Its scary to think that this could happen so close to my home. I live in westminster not too far from where the girl was taken and where the body was found. Also, don't know if its related or not, but a guy jumped off a bridge onto the highway and was hit by a truck. This happened a few blocks away from where I live also. Very disturbing

no1uno

Forum Veteran
A body was found in a field in Arvada colorado today. It hasn't been identified yet. Its scary to think that this could happen so close to my home. I live in westminster not too far from where the girl was taken and where the body was found. Also, don't know if its related or not, but a guy jumped off a bridge onto the highway and was hit by a truck. This happened a few blocks away from where I live also. Very disturbing
Oh wow. That is crazy when it happens so close. Sad, hope it's not the little girl. :(

Angelahh

meow :o)
that paints a grim tale

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Body Found Is "Not Intact"

WESTMINSTER, Colo. (Reuters) - The search for a 10-year-old Colorado girl who authorities believe was abducted on her way to school has led to the discovery of a dismembered body at a park several miles from where the fifth-grader vanished, police said on Thursday.

But Westminster Police Inspector Trevor Materasso said authorities have not confirmed if the body is that of Jessica Ridgeway, who went missing on her way to school six days ago.

"The process is complicated because the body is not intact," Materasso said, declining to elaborate. He said authorities may release the identity of the body on Friday.

Jessica Ridgeway vanished last Friday after leaving for school in the Denver suburb of Westminster.

Her mother, Sarah Ridgeway, said she last saw her daughter when the girl left home for the short walk to school.
A night-shift worker, Sarah Ridgeway said she sleeps during the day and did not hear the phone call from the school notifying her that Jessica was absent, so it was several hours before she was reported missing.

Police said on Wednesday that the girl's parents were not suspects in their daughter's disappearance, and they were shifting the probe toward a stranger abduction.

The girl's father, Jeremiah Bryant, lives in Missouri and came to Colorado when he learned his daughter was missing, police said.

The case made national headlines in the days following Jessica's disappearance as hundreds of police officers, several bloodhounds and scores of volunteers scoured the girl's neighborhood looking for any clue to her whereabouts.

Investigators got their first break on Sunday when a man in Superior, Colorado, six miles away from Westminster, found the girl's backpack on a sidewalk near his home.

But Wednesday night, police said they made a grisly discovery when a body was found in a remote open-space area in Arvada, Colorado, about 10 miles from the girl's home.

Officers from 35 police agencies will continue to comb through the three crime scenes looking for evidence that may lead them to the abductor, Materasso said.

The FBI said on Thursday that the bureau is involved in the Colorado case as well as the kidnapping of a girl in neighboring Cody, Wyoming, who was lured into a vehicle and later released by an armed man.

"Currently we do not believe these cases are related," FBI spokesman Dave Joly said in a statement.

Source -

snatch

Avidly prowling for spoil
is the body so "not intact" that theybloody well canna determine if its a10 yr old girl ? bleatin body farm would look at the blow fliesand know in a nip whether the time frame is possible or no. cops are holding details. as well theymust i suppose.

flapjacks

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I think we'll see a press release in the morning confirming it's her. It's hard to say what they mean by "not intact" but that could imply wildlife activity - bears, coyotes, etc. - disturbing the corpse, which is probably not in very good shape.

Here are a few photos of the crime scene that I put together (not great images as most were taken at night from a distance) and also a few shots that I got from Google Earth showing the location of where the body was found.

Set 1.

1. CSI are covering the opening of a culvert.
jessica-ridgeway-investigation-body1-Arvada-CO-oct11-12.jpg

2. Same.
jessica-ridgeway-investigation-body2-Arvada-CO-oct11-12.jpg

jessica-ridgeway-investigation-body3-Arvada-CO-oct11-12.jpg

4. Lighting up the area.
jessica-ridgeway-investigation-body4-Arvada-CO-oct11-12.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 2.

5. Aerial few. The body has been removed at this point.
jessica-ridgeway-investigation-body5-Arvada-CO-oct11-12.jpg

6. Combing the immediate area where the body was found. The crumbled building in the background is one of several that belonged to a mine that operated here decades ago.
jessica-ridgeway-investigation-body6-Arvada-CO-oct11-12.jpg

7. Broader view of above image.
jessica-ridgeway-investigation-body7-Arvada-CO-oct11-12.jpg

8. Google map of the location show in the above photos. Old buildings on the other side of the road were also part of the mining that existed at this location.
jessica-ridgeway-investigation-body8-Arvada-CO-oct11-12.jpg

9, Closer view. The crumbled building is at top right corner, fallen tree and culvert in the centre.
jessica-ridgeway-investigation-body9-Arvada-CO-oct11-12.jpg

Back