Need to format.. I have Windows 7 CD Key, just no CD..

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
So I want to format my computer.

When I got it, it came with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32bit. The CD key is in Control Panel > System, so I wrote that down.

Now I need an actual copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't want to download a copy that is "cracked" though, or doesn't ask for a CD key. I have a legit CD key from a store bought copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

What should I do? Any suggestions? On torrent sites, I can only find cracked versions, and I don't want a cracked version when I have a legit version now.

Decent60

Patient goes beep beep beeeeeeeeeep
You CD key shouldn't be visible at all from normal view, micro$oft encrypts the key and places it in the registry. If it is viewable, then your copy is flawed or your key is not valid.
Double check it with this program to make sure you wrote down the correct keys:
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
(note: AV programs detect this as a PUP, it's clean though but you prolly will need to disable AV protection while you use it)

D.O.A.

These are great days we're living, bros
loaders are for fags, OEM iso with a BIOS mod/fake certificate FTW. Loaders get raped on certain updates when MS feel like making you panic when your licence is revoked. If MS revokes my key, they take god knows how many pre-activated OEM laptops/PC's out with it. Maybe hundreds of thousands. Always get the OEM iso over all else.

Decent60

Pff, I've used a loader on my desktop for 2 years now (same one) lol
My laptop is an HP, so I just use the generic OEM License for it haha

Blaine

Dead Meme
Oppressor
Administrator
How about just buying a license to use the operating system? I'm not talking about aRyan, he already bought a license and was trying to figure out how to reclaim it (hope that worked out for you).

When you're fabulously rich (like me, for example), you can afford at least one operating system, and possibly even two. Hell, I could paper my fucking walls with Microsoft Certificates of Authenticity™ if I sold my 1997 Honda Civic (it has a spoiler) and my collection of magical girl anime action figures.

Seriously though, I'll pirate the shit out of Photoshop and whatnot, but not my base OS. I have no morals or ethics whatsoever, but I'm just not willing to fuck around with that shit.

Decent60

How about just buying a license to use the operating system? I'm not talking about aRyan, he already bought a license and was trying to figure out how to reclaim it (hope that worked out for you).

When you're fabulously rich (like me, for example), you can afford at least one operating system, and possibly even two. Hell, I could paper my fucking walls with Microsoft Certificates of Authenticity™ if I sold my 1997 Honda Civic (it has a spoiler) and my collection of magical girl anime action figures.

Seriously though, I'll pirate the shit out of Photoshop and whatnot, but not my base OS. I have no morals or ethics whatsoever, but I'm just not willing to fuck around with that shit.
I'm the same with security software. I will pirate anything else but that. It's simply because, while I can disassemble the crack and see what it's going to do, I really have no way to triple check it to see if a file it creates/inserts doesn't allow something to come in. That and I don't have time to disassemble it every time I upgrade the fucker.

With the OS, I know the loader won't fuck it up that bad, it usually causes the OS to become unstabled if it does haha.

noobishnubs

☼TheGoodLife☼
I am using a cracked version of win 7 ultimate and it works great. I can do all my windows updates and even use the micr0soft genuine advantage. Just saying if you get a good copy of the cracked software you should have nothing to worry about. Also it is possible to put a mac OSX on a pc. just some food for thought. I'm running snow leopard on my dell. lulz

Torque Button

"boo fucking hoo" "Die in a fire"
Just curious,WHY are you formatting your pc to begin with?

You just bought this thing a short while ago, their should be a message in the "Action Center" (little flag on task bar besides your time/date)... click that and it should have a message there asking you to burn a restore disc. Burn that to a dvd and you should be all set.

Run Belarc to get the keys for all your installed software, no fuss no muss.

Worst case scenario, call pc mfg support and they will mail you a cd for a nominal fee.

D.O.A.

I have licences for XP, when I moved to windows 7 I just grabbed the oem iso... I'm no fan of some random dudes .exe doing all the work, and god knows what else, so I just used the keys already available for the type of windows PC/laptop that comes pre-activated. Never had a problem, and it never will. It's literally one of a million with the same shit, ms cant do anything or they'll take out a lot of legitimate users.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/10370-Windows-7-OEM-SLP-Key-Collection

Decent60

I have licences for XP, when I moved to windows 7 I just grabbed the oem iso... I'm no fan of some random dudes .exe doing all the work, and god knows what else, so I just used the keys already available for the type of windows PC/laptop that comes pre-activated. Never had a problem, and it never will. It's literally one of a million with the same shit, ms cant do anything or they'll take out a lot of legitimate users.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/10370-Windows-7-OEM-SLP-Key-Collection
Sure they can and they do. They just basically make you do the offline activation via phone. If all that shit doesn't fully add up, they reject it. I actually had a legitimate key become invalid because it was passed around (not by me) like slut at a college party. There are a few things to do to get reissued a new one but I'm not waiting 2-4 weeks for them to email me a new code.

D.O.A.

Sure they can and they do. They just basically make you do the offline activation via phone. If all that shit doesn't fully add up, they reject it. I actually had a legitimate key become invalid because it was passed around (not by me) like slut at a college party. There are a few things to do to get reissued a new one but I'm not waiting 2-4 weeks for them to email me a new code.
OEM_slp are pre-activated in the factory, so to use these OEM keys you must have SLIC enabled bios and the matching manufacturer XML... mine's stolen from ASUS, basically all the OEM PC's they shipped use that key or one of the others available, it equals untold thousands of machines, and microsoft cannot revoke OEM's so easily. I'm sure any large company would enjoy having 4000 desktop machines rendered inoperable every six months because I have their key too... I've had the same shit since the first OEM iso keys and certs were stolen somewhere in china, from asus in july 2009. MS knew about it, but the PC's were already shipped, and they cant unfuck what is well and truly fucked.

Decent60

The one I used in my example, was Windows XP from HP, it was one of the first generation keys and it was the original key that was installed on it. Might have been that they start deactivating them after nearly a decade of them being released but that's how this one played out.

D.O.A.

The one I used in my example, was Windows XP from HP, it was one of the first generation keys and it was the original key that was installed on it. Might have been that they start deactivating them after nearly a decade of them being released but that's how this one played out.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, ms did want to drop support for xp not long ago but basically the business side of xp sales were not so eager to upgrade to 7 after that shit called vista. xp is stable as fuck as far as IT cares, so it's still supported. If they revoked all those old stolen xp keys, that's good for forcing people to look at windows 7, rather then re-install old OS. Just out of curiosity, was that xp you lost just a key, as in no particular bios needed or manufacturer certificates?

Decent60

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, ms did want to drop support for xp not long ago but basically the business side of xp sales were not so eager to upgrade to 7 after that shit called vista. xp is stable as fuck as far as IT cares, so it's still supported. If they revoked all those old stolen xp keys, that's good for forcing people to look at windows 7, rather then re-install old OS. Just out of curiosity, was that xp you lost just a key, as in no particular bios needed or manufacturer certificates?
Using the recovery partition, yes it needed the specific BIOS (probably had some certificates buried in it too, never spent much time on it). Even with that, it still wasn't liking the key (and I made a point to extract the key before reformatting). I just slapped my disk in and supplied it with a nice patch and went on my way with that. It didn't even like the sticker's key either. It wasn't mine, just someone who needed it worked on but fucked it up too bad to recover. Though, there is a difference between a business volume license and the volume license that HP/Dell/Gateway/etc use, so I no doubt that they would try to force people to either purchase a new key or upgrade entirely.