New computer.

Rosie

Laughing out loud.
Super Moderator
New computer.

I need a little help here please.

I'm going to buy a new computer, but as I'm a complete technophobe and totallly computer illiterate........I need something simple.

I saw this one, It looks very pretty.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/produ...gg_goog_7904&gclid=CP3xhumvr6MCFSMulAodRhQV4w

Can anybody please give me any advice and please be so kind as to keep it really simple and use layman terms only.

thank you very much. xxx

matahari

Star Fox 64
Rosie, I am not sure you need a 64bit system. If you do, make sure your peripherals are compatible, i.e., Webcam, camera, printer, scanner, etc.

If you were considering running some power-hungry games, then you would need a more powerful computer. Shop around.

Mick

About that Acid.
I like it Rosie,its nice and shiny.
I think I recall someone telling me that those all in one pooters are prone to faults and breaking down.Something to do with overheating I think.
I would buy a normal desktop myself.

Blaine

Dead Meme
Oppressor
Administrator
Honestly, for someone who's almost completely computer-illiterate and looking for something rather simple, an inexpensive iMac would be a good choice. They're designed to be used by persons who have no fucking clue how to use computers, they're one-piece computers that rarely break down, they're easy to handle, et cetera. That is all they're good for.

I can't really give you recommendations for good "factory-built" PCs, because in my opinion there's no such thing. You either order the parts and build it yourself, or it fucking sucks (in my little world).

Still, I'll see what I can find.

Blaine

Dead Meme
Oppressor
Administrator
Apparently, this Dell (Dell is synonymous with "lol" amongst serious computer enthusiasts, but I digress) is expensive, powerful, and reliable, garnering top marks from Consumer Reports and on CNet:

Dell Studio One 19

It looks slick, costs $630 bucks, it's all-in-one-piece, has a sharp, high-quality touchscreen LCD monitor, and has pretty decent specifications to boot.

That would be my recommendation as the best of all worlds for a new "computer retard" desktop PC.

rosie don't do it!!! don't enter the geeky world of P.C building virgins who know more about what to do with their hard drives than their hardons!!

Don't end up liek Grom :D

Graphics card Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 M is a onboard graphic accelerator so if you ever expect to see decent images you wont.

I build my own pc's and its rather a expensive hobby and can be frustrating at times.
If i was you Rosie go to Diamond Computors by the viaduct on New England Road in brighton http://www.diamondhardware.com/ they are cheap with quality produts and will even build you a unqiue pc for you. dont go to pc they are shit and will sell you rubbish

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITHOUT A DEDICATED GRAPHIC CARD . you will regret it if you do.

Blaine

Dead Meme
Oppressor
Administrator
LtPaperclip;20087 said:
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITHOUT A DEDICATED GRAPHIC CARD . you will regret it if you do.

"Dedicated" GPUs are really only necessary for playing modern games or running very high-intensity modeling and art applications.

Generally speaking, I agree that integrated GPUs suck balls, but for running Windows 7, watching movies, using Skype, browsing the Internet, and most other common applications, they're fine.

p4irs

totally shitposter, with Dunning–Kruger effect
last timei bought DELL 1646 very powerful but short of battery power! pentium i.3

Blaine;20101 said:
"Dedicated" GPUs are really only necessary for playing modern games or running very high-intensity modeling and art applications.

Generally speaking, I agree that integrated GPUs suck balls, but for running Windows 7, watching movies, using Skype, browsing the Internet, and most other common applications, they're fine.

all true but just from experiance onboard grapics suck at even the most basic level but if all you want to do is skpe and surf it will be ok.

Rosie;20531 said:
I looked at the computer Blaine showed me, Over here it was just under £800. :(

I looked at this one as well.........http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-g5135uk-06318565-pdt.html

Any opinions on this one?

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 HD <<<< to me its shit because of that.
but for you its probaly fine. do you really want a touch screen though ? holding your chubby arms up will be tiring and i think touch screen sucks as when you get mayo or salsa on your fingers it will end up slobed on your screen...i hate pc world ...crooks

matahari

Star Fox 64
"holding your chubby arms up will be tiring and i think touch screen sucks as when you get mayo or salsa on your fingers it will end up slobed on your screen"

matahari;20555 said:
"holding your chubby arms up will be tiring and i think touch screen sucks as when you get mayo or salsa on your fingers it will end up slobed on your screen"

i was giving her valid advice. does she have chubby arms ? yes....would using a touch screen become a chore ? yes

so you see honest valid surport