NJ woman murdered by ex while awaiting gun permit (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maven

Southern Charm
This story pissed me off so bad this morning. I cannot believe how stupid the police department is in that township in NJ...Too bad she didn't just get a gun off the street to protect herself. Saying she could have been arrested for shooting him outside...well fuck that..take my ass to jail and his sorry ass to the morgue.

'No one helped her'
Bowne_Eitel.jpg

Carol Bowne knew her best shot at defending herself from a violent ex was a gun, and not a piece of paper. And it was paperwork that left her unprotected when Michael Eitel showed up at her New Jersey home last week and stabbed her to death, say Second Amendment advocates, who charge local police routinely sit on firearms applications they are supposed to rule on within 30 days.

Bowne, 39, had a restraining order against Eitel when he killed her in her driveway last Wednesday, but she was still waiting for Berlin Township Police Chief Leonard Check to approve the gun permit she had applied for on April 21. Tragically, she had gone to the township police department just two days before her death to check on the status of her languishing application. In another indication of her fear of Eitel, Bowne had recently installed surveillance cameras around her home, and the equipment recorded the 45-year-old ex-con attacking her as she arrived home and got out of her car.

“She should have been granted that permit in a timely matter, especially given her status as a domestic violence victim,” said Evan Nappen, a New Jersey-based attorney who specializes in Second Amendment cases.

“Carol would have qualified for a permit since she was attacked; only now it’s too late.”

- Evan Nappen, New Jersey-based attorney and gun rights advocate

New Jersey's gun laws are among the nation's strictest, but law-abiding citizens are eligible to purchase and possess handguns after filling out forms available at their local police stations, submitting to a background check on any possible criminal history or mental health issues, giving fingerprints and paying a fee. Once those steps are taken, local police conduct a 14-point investigation and the chief is supposed to approve or deny for cause within 30 days.

Check did not return requests for comment, but gun rights advocates say it is not unusual for Garden State police chiefs to take several months to approve handgun permits for qualified applicants.

“The gun law’s intention is to be as difficult and cumbersome as possible,” Alexander Roubian, president of the New Jersey Second Amendment Society, told FoxNews.com. “They need to be repealed.

“The system is so outdated," Roubian continued. "In most states, you go to the store, get a background check, and purchase a weapon. A police chief should have no part of the process. This woman had a legitimate issue and no one helped her.”

A manhunt for Eitel, who had done time on a kidnapping conviction and had repeatedly threatened Bowne, began shortly after the murder and ended Saturday, when he was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot in another ex-girlfriend's garage.

Bowne's case prompted state senators Dawn Addiego, Diane Allen and Jennifer Beck to announce plans to introduce a bill that will fast-track the handgun permit process for applicants who have obtained a restraining order.

“The tragic murder of Carol Bowne shows that there are sensible changes we should make to public safety laws to help people protect themselves,” said Addiego, a Republican whose district is in southern New Jersey. “This legislation will make sure that those who need protection the most are given priority when it comes to the lengthy process of applying for a firearms permit.”

However, Nappen said even if Bowne had obtained her permit and used a gun to protect herself, she could theoretically be facing charges today because she would not have been allowed to legally carry the gun outside with her.

“New Jersey does not allow law-abiding citizens to get a carry license,” Nappen said.

Perry Chiaramonte is a reporter for FoxNews.com.

H

HAM

Internet Warrior
Proving once again restraining orders mean absolutely DICK.

And Police Chief Leonard Check has some explaining to do, what a fucking shit stain.

H

HAM

Internet Warrior
yeah, those pieces of paper don't do much to protect you from a knife blade...

It's common sense that when a woman asks for a retraining order that she is in fear for her life. Check, an officer of the law knows full and goddamn well that a protection order means nothing to someone who is committed to kill that person. He should have expedited the approval of the permit immediately.

However, Nappen said even if Bowne had obtained her permit and used a gun to protect herself, she could theoretically be facing charges today because she would not have been allowed to legally carry the gun outside with her.

Any judge who wasn't insane wouldn't sentence them to any jail time. Again, it's common sense. Is it really that difficult for people to use common sense?

rottenfresh

ummmmm, You smell that?
Sucks that she didn't have a PitBull waiting for that ass! N.J needs to step their game up and approve laws that will issue licenses while the applicant is still breathing.

kevin kirk

Forum Veteran
Couldn't have hurt.
....I love firearms but expecting a person that has never own a gun to suddenly have the skill to protect her life with one isn't reality.Ever seen someone not familiar with a weapon try and shoot a target?Much less a moving human that's trying to kill you.

Reactions: McM

nola

Forum Veteran
....I love firearms but expecting a person that has never own a gun to suddenly have the skill to protect her life with one isn't reality.Ever seen someone not familiar with a weapon try and shoot a target?Much less a moving human that's trying to kill you.

Yes, I knew what you meant. And your points are valid. But, in this case at least, what could it have hurt? She's dead....maybe she would have gotten off a lucky shot...we'll never know.

Maven

Southern Charm
with the right gun and the right laser sight it wouldn't make two shits if she'd never fired a gun before. the issue isn't whether or not she could shoot, the stupid police department didn't give her a chance to survive. she applied for the damned thing in April...

kevin kirk

Forum Veteran
with the right gun and the right laser sight it wouldn't make two shits if she'd never fired a gun before. the issue isn't whether or not she could shoot, the stupid police department didn't give her a chance to survive. she applied for the damned thing in April...
......cant go wrong with a shotgun.The police doesn't make the laws they just enforce them.Cant blame them.

Maven

Southern Charm
......cant go wrong with a shotgun.The police doesn't make the laws they just enforce them.Cant blame them.
at least her death will likely save another life...
"Bowne's case prompted state senators Dawn Addiego, Diane Allen and Jennifer Beck to announce plans to introduce a bill that will fast-track the handgun permit process for applicants who have obtained a restraining order."

snatch

Avidly prowling for spoil
follow the rules cause it looks good on paper
but in the end
don't expect anyone to do anything to "help"
be ready to take care of you and yours the best way you can
if she was waiting for a gun to help her....fuck that

gut the fuck up and don't expect a gun to make you safe ffs

H

HAM

Internet Warrior
The police doesn't make the laws they just enforce them.Cant blame them.

New Jersey's gun laws are among the nation's strictest, but law-abiding citizens are eligible to purchase and possess handguns after filling out forms available at their local police stations, submitting to a background check on any possible criminal history or mental health issues, giving fingerprints and paying a fee. Once those steps are taken, local police conduct a 14-point investigation and the chief is supposed to approve or deny for cause within 30 days.

Bowne, 39, had a restraining order against Eitel when he killed her in her driveway last Wednesday, but she was still waiting for Berlin Township Police Chief Leonard Check to approve the gun permit she had applied for on April 21.

I'm not a mathematician, however, I'm fairly confident that April 21st - June 5th is well over the 30 day period.

So yes, in this case they (as in Chief Leonard Check) can be and should be blamed for negligence.

This isn't open for debate.

Wayne Kerr

a fuck off is always acceptable*
This user was banned
check is a tool, if you want to place blame youll need to go a lot higher up than that.

snatch

I'm not a mathematician, however, I'm fairly confident that April 21st - June 5th is well over the 30 day period.

So yes, in this case they (as in Chief Leonard Check) can be and should be blamed for negligence.

This isn't open for debate.
everything I pretended to read says this woman was stupid. luckily, that isn't against the law. I would have bet she would have ended up shot instead of stabbed to death if she had had the gun she wanted so bad. getting killed with a gun taken away from you is a shit way to be killed...
anyone who thinks a gun is going to save your life is wrong. you can save your life if you have a gun and know how to use it and get incredibly lucky when you,re jumped by someone who not only outweighs you but is ready to taste the copper. good luck fumbling it out of your purse. im not anti gun but new jersey is right to question retards wanting guns after they are already ascared and jumpy=
point being ; no need to stock up for the apocalypse but how about learn to throw an elbow and rip out an eyeball instead of buying a gun at the ninth hour

H

HAM

Internet Warrior
everything I pretended to read says this woman was stupid. luckily, that isn't against the law. I would have bet she would have ended up shot instead of stabbed to death if she had had the gun she wanted so bad. getting killed with a gun taken away from you is a shit way to be killed...
anyone who thinks a gun is going to save your life is wrong. you can save your life if you have a gun and know how to use it and get incredibly lucky when you,re jumped by someone who not only outweighs you but is ready to taste the copper. good luck fumbling it out of your purse. im not anti gun but new jersey is right to question retards wanting guns after they are already ascared and jumpy=
point being ; no need to stock up for the apocalypse but how about learn to throw an elbow and rip out an eyeball instead of buying a gun at the ninth hour

Bowne was less than 5 ft tall and approximately 100lbs, a tiny woman. Eitel was 6'3 and 285 lbs, an ex-con who had went to prison for 5 years for aggravated assault with bodily injury. Obviously not a stranger to violent confrontation and he showed up at her home with the intent to murder her and as you said "ready to taste the copper" so throwing elbows and ripping out eyeballs would have most likely had an even less chance of success.

I'm an inch taller and 15 lbs heavier than Eitel, my previous girlfriend was 5'3 and 115 lbs (3 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier than Bowne) we would playfully rough house every once in a while and she was a rag doll. And this is 2 people playing around, laughing and having a good time.

Now take away the good time and factor in this fuck was in an insane psychotic state, it's no contest.

What was she suppose to do over a course of a couple months, learn Krav Maga? Knife or no knife, could of strangled her to death in a matter of minutes or less.

Fact is, is that it's pure speculation what the out come would have been if she was granted the permit and was armed at the time of the attack.

She still deserved the chance to protect herself by any means necessary to a very real threat. Because a fighting chance (despite how little of a success it might actually be) is better than no chance at all.

She died defenseless, an even more "shit way" to be killed.

snatch

Bowne was less than 5 ft tall and approximately 100lbs, a tiny woman. Eitel was 6'3 and 285 lbs, an ex-con who had went to prison for 5 years for aggravated assault with bodily injury. Obviously not a stranger to violent confrontation and he showed up at her home with the intent to murder her and as you said "ready to taste the copper" so throwing elbows and ripping out eyeballs would have most likely had an even less chance of success.

I'm an inch taller and 15 lbs heavier than Eitel, my previous girlfriend was 5'3 and 115 lbs (3 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier than Bowne) we would playfully rough house every once in a while and she was a rag doll. And this is 2 people playing around, laughing and having a good time.

Now take away the good time and factor in this fuck was in an insane psychotic state, it's no contest.

What was she suppose to do over a course of a couple months, learn Krav Maga? Knife or no knife, could of strangled her to death in a matter of minutes or less.

Fact is, is that it's pure speculation what the out come would have been if she was granted the permit and was armed at the time of the attack.

She still deserved the chance to protect herself by any means necessary to a very real threat. Because a fighting chance (despite how little of a success it might actually be) is better than no chance at all.

She died defenseless, an even more "shit way" to be killed.
declining on declining your debate I see.
you have almost explicitly agreed with me.

no one deserves anything but what they summon for themselves. I repeat=a gun is no guarantee of defense. if she was defenseless then fucksake/issue guns all around then we will not be "defenseless". crapola

I love guns, I have guns.
just like guns don't kill people, people kill people/guns wont kill people if they cant get a round off.

maybe I expect too much from other people. I,m ready. she wasn't. and I don't have anyone out looking to top me besides the usual family members=

wanting to pin blame with a story like this is useless.

Back