Oldest-known fossils of mysterious human lineage uncovered in Siberian cave (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Scientists have unearthed the oldest fossils to date of the mysterious human lineage known as the Denisovans. With these 200,000-year-old bones, researchers have also for the first time discovered stone artifacts linked to these extinct relatives of modern humans, a new study finds.

First identified a little more than a decade ago, the Denisovans — an extinct branch of the human family tree — are the closest known relatives of modern humans, along with Neanderthals. Analysis of DNA extracted from Denisovan fossils suggests they might have once been widespread across continental Asia, island Southeast Asia and Oceania, and revealed that at least two distinct groups of Denisovans interbred with ancestors of modern humans.

Until now, scientists had only discovered half a dozen Denisovan fossils. Five were unearthed in Denisova Cave in Siberia, and one was found in a holy site in China, Live Science previously reported.

Now, researchers have discovered another three Denisovan fossils in Denisova Cave. Scientists estimated that they are about 200,000 years old, making them the oldest known Denisovans ever found. Previously, the earliest known Denisovan specimens were about 122,000 to 194,000 years old.

In the new study, researchers examined 3,791 bone scraps from Denisova Cave. They looked for proteins they knew were Denisovan based on previous DNA research on the extinct lineage.

Among these scraps, the scientists identified five human bones. Four of these contained enough DNA to reveal their identity — one was Neanderthal, and the other three were Denisovan. Based on genetic similarities, two of these fossils may either come from one person or from related individuals.

"We were extremely excited to identify three new Denisovan bones amongst the oldest layers of Denisova Cave," study senior author Katerina Douka, an archaeological scientist at the University of Vienna in Austria, told Live Science. "We specifically targeted these layers where no other human fossils were found before, and our strategy worked."

The researchers estimated the age of these Denisovan fossils based on the layer of earth in which they were uncovered. This layer also contained a slew of stone artifacts and animal remains, which may serve as vital archaeological clues on Denisovan life and behavior. Previously, Denisovan fossils were only found in layers without such archaeological material, or in layers that might also have contained Neanderthal material.

"This is the first time we can be sure that Denisovans were the makers of the archaeological remains we found associated with their bone fragments," Douka said.

The new findings suggest these newfound Denisovans lived during a time when, according to previous research, the climate was warm and comparable to today, in a locale favorable to human life that included broad-leaved forests and open steppe. Butchered and burnt animal remains found in the cave suggest the Denisovans may have fed on deer, gazelles, horses, bison and woolly rhinoceroses.

"We can infer that Denisovans were well-adapted to their environments, utilizing every resource available to them," Douka said.

The stone artifacts found in the same layer as these Denisovan fossils are mostly scraping tools, which were perhaps used for dealing with animal skins. The raw material for these items likely came from river sediment just outside the entrance to the cave, and the river likely helped the Denisovans when they sought to hunt, the scientists noted.

"The site's strategic point in front of a water source and the entrance of a valley would have served as a great spot for hunting," Douka said.

The stone tools linked with these new fossils have no direct counterparts in north or central Asia. However, they do bear some resemblance to items found in Israel dating between 250,000 and 400,000 years ago — a period linked with major shifts in human technology, such as the routine use of fire, the researchers noted.

The new study found that Denisovans may not have been the only occupants of the cave at this time. Bones of carnivores such as wolves and wild dogs suggest Denisovans may have actively competed with these predators over prey and perhaps the cave itself.

"At the moment our team continues to work at Denisova Cave and several other Asian sites and hope to report some interesting new stuff very soon," Douka said.

The scientists detailed their findings online Nov. 25 in the journal Nature Ecology & Evolution.

Screenshot_20211130-225535_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211130-225301_Chrome.jpg

Johnnyboy27290

Forum Veteran
Scientists have unearthed the oldest fossils to date of the mysterious human lineage known as the Denisovans. With these 200,000-year-old bones, researchers have also for the first time discovered stone artifacts linked to these extinct relatives of modern humans, a new study finds.

First identified a little more than a decade ago, the Denisovans — an extinct branch of the human family tree — are the closest known relatives of modern humans, along with Neanderthals. Analysis of DNA extracted from Denisovan fossils suggests they might have once been widespread across continental Asia, island Southeast Asia and Oceania, and revealed that at least two distinct groups of Denisovans interbred with ancestors of modern humans.

Until now, scientists had only discovered half a dozen Denisovan fossils. Five were unearthed in Denisova Cave in Siberia, and one was found in a holy site in China, Live Science previously reported.

Now, researchers have discovered another three Denisovan fossils in Denisova Cave. Scientists estimated that they are about 200,000 years old, making them the oldest known Denisovans ever found. Previously, the earliest known Denisovan specimens were about 122,000 to 194,000 years old.

In the new study, researchers examined 3,791 bone scraps from Denisova Cave. They looked for proteins they knew were Denisovan based on previous DNA research on the extinct lineage.

Among these scraps, the scientists identified five human bones. Four of these contained enough DNA to reveal their identity — one was Neanderthal, and the other three were Denisovan. Based on genetic similarities, two of these fossils may either come from one person or from related individuals.

"We were extremely excited to identify three new Denisovan bones amongst the oldest layers of Denisova Cave," study senior author Katerina Douka, an archaeological scientist at the University of Vienna in Austria, told Live Science. "We specifically targeted these layers where no other human fossils were found before, and our strategy worked."

The researchers estimated the age of these Denisovan fossils based on the layer of earth in which they were uncovered. This layer also contained a slew of stone artifacts and animal remains, which may serve as vital archaeological clues on Denisovan life and behavior. Previously, Denisovan fossils were only found in layers without such archaeological material, or in layers that might also have contained Neanderthal material.

"This is the first time we can be sure that Denisovans were the makers of the archaeological remains we found associated with their bone fragments," Douka said.

The new findings suggest these newfound Denisovans lived during a time when, according to previous research, the climate was warm and comparable to today, in a locale favorable to human life that included broad-leaved forests and open steppe. Butchered and burnt animal remains found in the cave suggest the Denisovans may have fed on deer, gazelles, horses, bison and woolly rhinoceroses.

"We can infer that Denisovans were well-adapted to their environments, utilizing every resource available to them," Douka said.

The stone artifacts found in the same layer as these Denisovan fossils are mostly scraping tools, which were perhaps used for dealing with animal skins. The raw material for these items likely came from river sediment just outside the entrance to the cave, and the river likely helped the Denisovans when they sought to hunt, the scientists noted.

"The site's strategic point in front of a water source and the entrance of a valley would have served as a great spot for hunting," Douka said.

The stone tools linked with these new fossils have no direct counterparts in north or central Asia. However, they do bear some resemblance to items found in Israel dating between 250,000 and 400,000 years ago — a period linked with major shifts in human technology, such as the routine use of fire, the researchers noted.

The new study found that Denisovans may not have been the only occupants of the cave at this time. Bones of carnivores such as wolves and wild dogs suggest Denisovans may have actively competed with these predators over prey and perhaps the cave itself.

"At the moment our team continues to work at Denisova Cave and several other Asian sites and hope to report some interesting new stuff very soon," Douka said.

The scientists detailed their findings online Nov. 25 in the journal Nature Ecology & Evolution.

View attachment 559694View attachment 559695

Unfortunately I don't agree with fossil dating and such. I believe in the Bible and humans have been on the earth for 6,000 something years. I believe dinosaurs and humans coexisted. A shocker to the masses but science is wrong all the time. Carbon dating is only accurate for like 5 or 6 thousand years. And most fossils are dated using the layers of the earth. That's a huge discussion for another time. I'll stick to what I know for a fact is true, that's the word of God. I've read all about it so no one is going to be able to "educate" me or school me on this topic. If anything I'll teach you something. Hit me up if you want to get into this discussion. No hard feelings either way.
Nice. I read part of this earlier today. You're very up to date on your evolutionary biology.
👏👏👏
If you want the real truth about evolution and biology hit me up I'll show you stuff that is so controversial that you won't be able to handle it.

ZeroK

SCIENCE AVENGER
Unfortunately I don't agree with fossil dating and such. I believe in the Bible and humans have been on the earth for 6,000 something years. I believe dinosaurs and humans coexisted. A shocker to the masses but science is wrong all the time. Carbon dating is only accurate for like 5 or 6 thousand years. And most fossils are dated using the layers of the earth. That's a huge discussion for another time. I'll stick to what I know for a fact is true, that's the word of God. I've read all about it so no one is going to be able to "educate" me or school me on this topic. If anything I'll teach you something. Hit me up if you want to get into this discussion. No hard feelings either way.

If you want the real truth about evolution and biology hit me up I'll show you stuff that is so controversial that you won't be able to handle it.
No hard feelings Johnny but I already schooled u about science and your lack of scientific knowledge. Are u trying to tell me u know more about human evolution than the professors at Harvard, Yale and my alma mater USC?

SPHINCTERPUNCH

THE SPHINCTER PUNCHER!

I simply luv this shit! Especially when it throws the "Supposed Know it Alls" a Curve Ball;And basically Re-Writes the History Books! I couldn't B Happier! Thanks 4 the Share my friend!...SP
Obviously, too much LSD is bad for lil Johnny.
Heh heh heh!😂...SP

I'm interested in your take Johnny. If you find the time to type it

Johnnyboy27290

Forum Veteran
No hard feelings Johnny but I already schooled u about science and your lack of scientific knowledge. Are u trying to tell me u know more about human evolution than the professors at Harvard, Yale and my alma mater USC?
Unfortunately ZeroK yes. I feel as if you been filled with a bunch of useless information that's not accurate and not provable. There's been tons of scientific theories that were widely accepted until the next best theory was hypothesized. There's millions of college educated/PhD level scientists that don't accept the theory of evolution.

ZeroK

SCIENCE AVENGER
Unfortunately ZeroK yes. I feel as if you been filled with a bunch of useless information that's not accurate and not provable. There's been tons of scientific theories that were widely accepted until the next best theory was hypothesized. There's millions of college educated/PhD level scientists that don't accept the theory of evolution.
What you’re saying my fellow American is not true. Yes there have been theories that were disproven but not tons and definitely not human evolution. Evolution continues to be verified thru the scientific method.

Creationist hear about one or two scientists who question evolution and they’ll exaggerate and say scientists don’t agree or that millions of PhD’s don’t believe in evolution and that’s not true. Not all but close to 100% of scientists accept evolution because it stands up to rigid scientific peer reviewed standards.

Götterdämmerung

Well Known Member
There's been tons of scientific theories that were widely accepted until the next best theory was hypothesized.
That's how science works. All science is a work in progress. It starts from the physical constants of nature to universal laws to working theories. The physical sciences, chemistry, thermodynamics, have theories that stand as self-evident. No one is debating whether or not heat flows from hot to cold. Biology, not so much. The theories in the field, especially evolution, stem from almost every physical science, each branching into countless subfields. Throw faith into the mix and, well, believing is seeing. You want to see humans frolicking with dinosaurs someone will sell it to you.

Johnnyboy27290

Forum Veteran

That's how science works. All science is a work in progress. It starts from the physical constants of nature to universal laws to working theories. The physical sciences, chemistry, thermodynamics, have theories that stand as self-evident. No one is debating whether or not heat flows from hot to cold. Biology, not so much. The theories in the field, especially evolution, stem from almost every physical science, each branching into countless subfields. Throw faith into the mix and, well, believing is seeing. You want to see humans frolicking with dinosaurs someone will sell it to you.
I appreciate your thoughts. There's laws and there's theories. For example the law of gravity . It's not a theory it's a law. There's provable science and there's theoretical science. There's fossils that exist for example a known dinosaur from supposedly a hundred or so million years ago with a human foot print right next to it. So how would that work? That's what evolutionist Don't want to discuss. There's a lot of contradicting factors and unexplainable phenomena that they leave out and don't want to discuss.
What you’re saying my fellow American is not true. Yes there have been theories that were disproven but not tons and definitely not human evolution. Evolution continues to be verified thru the scientific method.

Creationist hear about one or two scientists who question evolution and they’ll exaggerate and say scientists don’t agree or that millions of PhD’s don’t believe in evolution and that’s not true. Not all but close to 100% of scientists accept evolution because it stands up to rigid scientific peer reviewed standards.
I appreciate the time you took to respond to these topics. But I respectfully disagree with your assessment. There's a lot more than 1 or 2 creationist scientist. Yea probably Close to 3/4 of accept the theory of evolution but it is a theory not a provable science. There's laws like gravity which is an observable proven science then there's theoretical science like evolution. It's not any more provable then the story of the Bible. I've watched quite a few debates where evolutionists were speechless and dumbfounded by creationist scientists and scholars. The evidence isn't quite convincing on the contrary its very subjective and lots of loop holes and gaps that cannot be explained.
You’re a rational person, what’s ur take on @Johnnyboy27290 erroneously claiming humans and dinosaurs coexisted and human evolution is false?
There's fossils that exists where human bones and dinosaur fossils were found in the same layer of the earth's crust. And even dinosaur foot prints and human foot prints existing together. If anyone wants the link to some of these things that are in museums I'll be glad to send it. Then let's hear your theory of evolution explain that one. Usually how they explain it is with circular reasoning.
Nigga the dont just use carbon dating ya bible thumping idiot. Potasium, nitrogen, rubidium, uranium, lead, etc...man there is like 35 different radioisotopes they use to measure geologolical/fossil events that cover thousands to billions of yrs.
Those things are theoretical as well because we don't have anything that exists that is known for 100 percent fact the age of such. I was very open to such information and researched it and found out they're dating processes are very subjective and differ from one experiment to the other. Alot of those specimens were tainted and even evolutionist can't even agree on the same dates and times. I've read it with my own eyes. Your just quoting what you heard someone else say.
I'm only allowed 1,500 words and I've about reached that limit. But I appreciate your willingness to listen to what I've learned and read about. Maybe I'll pm you or post some stuff on your profile. I ask that you remain neutral and non biased the same way I was before I believed in God. I gave evolution a chance and the facts and experiments and dating processes are very subjective and differ from each other. There's lots of loop holes and gaps they don't talk about and when asked about in debates they studder and then use circular reasoning and talk themselves into a bigger hole.
There's no smoking gun In evolution. There's no definitive proof and even evolutionist know that. I've watched debates by creationist scientists that left the evolutionists embarrassed and perplexed. I would highly recommend you do some of your own personal research if you have time I promise you'll find that evolution is nothing more than a theory it's not a provable and we don't need or use the Bible to demonstrate the numerous flaws in evolution. Science speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Collins

Well Known Member

dont be living in the past bro, it’s gone way way behind you let it and look to the future 🤣

sleepydawg

What the dog doin
This user was banned
I appreciate your thoughts. There's laws and there's theories. For example the law of gravity . It's not a theory it's a law. There's provable science and there's theoretical science. There's fossils that exist for example a known dinosaur from supposedly a hundred or so million years ago with a human foot print right next to it. So how would that work? That's what evolutionist Don't want to discuss. There's a lot of contradicting factors and unexplainable phenomena that they leave out and don't want to discuss.

I appreciate the time you took to respond to these topics. But I respectfully disagree with your assessment. There's a lot more than 1 or 2 creationist scientist. Yea probably Close to 3/4 of accept the theory of evolution but it is a theory not a provable science. There's laws like gravity which is an observable proven science then there's theoretical science like evolution. It's not any more provable then the story of the Bible. I've watched quite a few debates where evolutionists were speechless and dumbfounded by creationist scientists and scholars. The evidence isn't quite convincing on the contrary its very subjective and lots of loop holes and gaps that cannot be explained.

There's fossils that exists where human bones and dinosaur fossils were found in the same layer of the earth's crust. And even dinosaur foot prints and human foot prints existing together. If anyone wants the link to some of these things that are in museums I'll be glad to send it. Then let's hear your theory of evolution explain that one. Usually how they explain it is with circular reasoning.

Those things are theoretical as well because we don't have anything that exists that is known for 100 percent fact the age of such. I was very open to such information and researched it and found out they're dating processes are very subjective and differ from one experiment to the other. Alot of those specimens were tainted and even evolutionist can't even agree on the same dates and times. I've read it with my own eyes. Your just quoting what you heard someone else say.

I'm only allowed 1,500 words and I've about reached that limit. But I appreciate your willingness to listen to what I've learned and read about. Maybe I'll pm you or post some stuff on your profile. I ask that you remain neutral and non biased the same way I was before I believed in God. I gave evolution a chance and the facts and experiments and dating processes are very subjective and differ from each other. There's lots of loop holes and gaps they don't talk about and when asked about in debates they studder and then use circular reasoning and talk themselves into a bigger hole.

There's no smoking gun In evolution. There's no definitive proof and even evolutionist know that. I've watched debates by creationist scientists that left the evolutionists embarrassed and perplexed. I would highly recommend you do some of your own personal research if you have time I promise you'll find that evolution is nothing more than a theory it's not a provable and we don't need or use the Bible to demonstrate the numerous flaws in evolution. Science speaks for itself.
Yeah you're just dumb

wiggins

Forum Veteran
I like the look of that cave opening. Caves make great homes. In Cooberpedy in out back South Australia they build homes underground into the limestone. I've stayed in hotels there a few times that have 40' of rock over the top. Even in summer when it's 45c it's nice and cool inside. The temp doesn't change even in winter when its -5c. There is a feeling of security i get when underground in caves that I really like.

1642554756504.png
1642554784056.png
1642554807586.png

Rain proof, wind proof, I'd say those Devodians had their accomodation pretty well sorted.

Until the knock on the door came and a Christian with a dinasaur on a leash rocked up asking them if they'd heard the word of God...

Dead Christ

Saw It Coming

If only there was a scientific way to prove God was real and all the shit you're talking about makes perfect sense. Sigh... :cartman:

lazybrain

NewbieX

the fact that you choose to ignore the proof is hilarious. way too much LSD indeed.

Back