ps3/xbox 360 repair thread

sickfuck

Banned
this thread is for anyone who has or needs to repair a system.

i'm thinking about diving into my playstation to reset a gear for the bluray drive or some shit. seems simple enough.

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
I've been entertaining the thought of opening up my ps3 just to see what's what in there, in case I ever do need to switch out parts, etc.

Decent60

Patient goes beep beep beeeeeeeeeep
360 is easy to fix and repair, PS3 is a bit more complex but still pretty easy.

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
Just picked up a jailbroken ps3 fat yesterday. Got it relatively cheap as the blu-ray drive is on the fritz. From the sound of it, it's probably just gears out of alignment or some such. The laser had been replaced recently, I'm thinking whoever did it didn't make sure things were lined up during reassembly. Haven't pulled the drive yet to attempt the repair, but i'm going to this weekend. Anyone done this before? Any ideas as to what I should be careful of when pulling the console apart?

Decent60

Just picked up a jailbroken ps3 fat yesterday. Got it relatively cheap as the blu-ray drive is on the fritz. From the sound of it, it's probably just gears out of alignment or some such. The laser had been replaced recently, I'm thinking whoever did it didn't make sure things were lined up during reassembly. Haven't pulled the drive yet to attempt the repair, but i'm going to this weekend. Anyone done this before? Any ideas as to what I should be careful of when pulling the console apart?
More than likely, he stripped the gear. Did that to one of my new DVD burners while trying to fix soda clean up. I had to force the drawer out just a smidge to get to a screw and a gear tooth broke. Now it's a paperweight!

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
Well, I've got it to the point where it will accept and eject discs, it just won't read them now. Doesn't sound like it's spinning. Entertaining the thought of replacing the drive altogether, but I hear that can be a bitch as well due to certain drives only working with specific console versions.

Decent60

Well, I've got it to the point where it will accept and eject discs, it just won't read them now. Doesn't sound like it's spinning. Entertaining the thought of replacing the drive altogether, but I hear that can be a bitch as well due to certain drives only working with specific console versions.
From what I've heard, they are basically impossible to do unless you've flashed the firmware on both the original drive and the replacement one, then swap the firmware settings before fully hooking it up into system. Apparently they drive and the motherboard are 'married', so you need the exact same kind as what you had before.

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
From what I've heard, they are basically impossible to do unless you've flashed the firmware on both the original drive and the replacement one, then swap the firmware settings before fully hooking it up into system. Apparently they drive and the motherboard are 'married', so you need the exact same kind as what you had before.
I'm looking into that now. It sounds like remarrying the drive to the motherboard shouldn't be too difficult, so long as I can find the correct drive. My current issue is trying to identify the drive I have.

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
So I've just ordered the correct blu-ray drive for my system. $65 bucks on Ebay with free shipping. Going to re-use the control board from my current drive and see what happens. If it works right away, awesome. If not, I found a guide on remarrying a new drive to the console.

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
Success. Ordered the same model drive as my original, and used the old drive's logic board with the new one. Works flawlessly.

Chiseled into a tablet with Tapatalk

destro088

Got mounted by an alligator
I've been entertaining the thought of opening up my ps3 just to see what's what in there, in case I ever do need to switch out parts, etc.
I know you posted awhile ago but theres nothing really fantastic in there, Theres just a huge heat sink that connects to the cpu and gpu thats about it. And for spare parts, All parts are "married" to the motherboard. So using them for parts won't work. I've tried.

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
I know you posted awhile ago but theres nothing really fantastic in there, Theres just a huge heat sink that connects to the cpu and gpu thats about it. And for spare parts, All parts are "married" to the motherboard. So using them for parts won't work. I've tried.
Yeah I didn't bother pulling my slim apart. The jailbroken fat one, though, I made my bitch. Took a chance and ordered another blu-ray drive from a unit with the same model number and swapped them out, and the thing works great. No need to remarry to the motherboard, as I used the control board from the old blu-ray.

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
Digging up this old gem to avoid creating another thread to boast on, but that fat jailbroken system of mine? The one with the new drive? Also has a 1tb internal hard drive and is currently spoofed up to firmware version 4.31. On PSN now syncing up trophies from game backups to my PSN account. Will try getting on Black Ops multiplayer after that. No fix yet for Black Ops II but we'll see what happens down the road.

methamphetamine

I'm beetlejuice baby
Digging up this old gem to avoid creating another thread to boast on, but that fat jailbroken system of mine? The one with the new drive? Also has a 1tb internal hard drive and is currently spoofed up to firmware version 4.31. On PSN now syncing up trophies from game backups to my PSN account. Will try getting on Black Ops multiplayer after that. No fix yet for Black Ops II but we'll see what happens down the road.
nigga get a 360 and play me in nhl 13, i will teach you a thing or two, i'm all about the fundamentals kid, y'all are doing complex drills with a beach ball in practice while i'm doing saucer passes, THE SAUCE BRO!

Reactions: SAF

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
nigga get a 360 and play me in nhl 13, i will teach you a thing or two, i'm all about the fundamentals kid, y'all are doing complex drills with a beach ball in practice while i'm doing saucer passes, THE SAUCE BRO!
Dude I ain't played an NHL game since like 04 on PS2.

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
You know what though man? Play me on NHLPA93 for SNES and I'll grind my nuts all up on your face.