Pulling out of Syria/Thoughts?

samael88

Well Known Member
Was wondering what people were thinking about Trump pulling out of Syria/abandoning the Kurds?

Personally I don't like the idea of the US. fighting other people's wars or the idea of a never ending war (which, one could argue, war or at least US participation in overseas conflict is never ending). Though I don't know a lot about the Kurds or their beliefs but I do seem to find them more agreeable than their opponents in Turkey, Syria and Iraq. Also don't like giving all these shitheads weapons either, just look at what happened to the arms we gave Iraq. Perhaps pulling out would be the best long term solution (true in more ways than one) or never getting involved in the first place.

McM

Krautnigger
It's nothing new sadly. The first time I read about this behavior was as the CIA left their allied forces for jungle warfare behind, the Montagnards in Vietnam when they had to left the country. They even demanded the modern weapons back and the government refused to give asylum in the US for most of them. Many got killed in the revenge from the Vietcong afterwards.

OP
samael88

samael88

Well Known Member
The Kurds have been invaluable allies to America for 20 plus years. Trumps move is so damaging. Already the Kurds are allying with the Syrian army.
That's what has me torn. We need all the allies we can get in that part of the world. I'd love to see the Kurds stick it to Turkey as I feel Turkey is becoming more empathetic to those elements who want a theocracy or a caliphate. I also realize though that we can't keep people in the middle east forever. What the Kurds need is a regional ally which could help give them a rapid concrete victory over their enemies. However none of the countries listed, Turkey, Syria or Iraq would, I feel, be willing to lose territory to the Kurds (I believe they do have an autonomous region in Iraq). None have been put on their back foot which is essential to negotiations of that sort. An independent Kurdistan would be a potential boon for the region if they are able to keep extremist elements out or down to a minimum.

It's nothing new sadly. The first time I read about this behavior was as the CIA left their allied forces for jungle warfare behind, the Montagnards in Vietnam when they had to left the country. They even demanded the modern weapons back and the government refused to give asylum in the US for most of them. Many got killed in the revenge from the Vietcong afterwards.
Send in John Rambo...

That's what has me torn. We need all the allies we can get in that part of the world. I'd love to see the Kurds stick it to Turkey as I feel Turkey is becoming more empathetic to those elements who want a theocracy or a caliphate. I also realize though that we can't keep people in the middle east forever. What the Kurds need is a regional ally which could help give them a rapid concrete victory over their enemies. However none of the countries listed, Turkey, Syria or Iraq would, I feel, be willing to lose territory to the Kurds (I believe they do have an autonomous region in Iraq). None have been put on their back foot which is essential to negotiations of that sort. An independent Kurdistan would be a potential boon for the region if they are able to keep extremist elements out or down to a minimum.
Your brain is too big for this website...