reformatting C drive ONLY.....is it possible?

reformatting C drive ONLY.....is it possible?

I have a C and D drive on my PC

It's a pretty old windows XP home edition and I'm not sure, but I think I still have the installation disc.

My question is: If I put everything I want to save over on my D drive can I then go ahead and reformat and restore my C drive to its factory settings? Is this even possible?

Whatever the problem is with my P.C it's definitely with the C drive and I don't really give a fuck if I lose all the shit I've accumulated on it over the last 4 years.

I'd like a fresh start, but I don't want to lose my photos (they're all stored on my D drive. I'm worried that if I reinstall with the disc, I'll inadvertently delete all my pics.

If anyone here has the time/patience and inclination to give me a step by (baby) step guide through the process (if it's even possible) then not only will I be eternally grateful, but I'll also guarantee a free blowjob from Heads ( she owes me :D) and if you're a female I'll prolly fuck you if you aren't fat.

Torque Button

"boo fucking hoo" "Die in a fire"
Are you C and D drives two separate physical drives or one physical drive partitioned into two?

XP home edition - turd

matahari

Star Fox 64
Um...okay if the "D" drive is factory installed as a partition, it would not have let you put your pictures on it.

Open My Computer. If you go to the Start menu...Control Panel, Administrator Tools(if I recall for XP), Computer Management and open it, the resulting window should tell you about your "D" drive.

matahari;24141 said:
Um...okay if the "D" drive is factory installed as a partition, it would not have let you put your pictures on it.

Open My Computer. If you go to the Start menu...Control Panel, Administrator Tools(if I recall for XP), Computer Management and open it, the resulting window should tell you about your "D" drive.
Okay bearing in mind that I'm reading it all in jap, I think it says:

(C) Partition Basic NTFS [?] System 29.29 GB
(D) Partition Basic NTFS [?] 156.97 GB

If that's any help......I'm assuming "partition" ain't what we want, right?

Blaine

Dead Meme
Oppressor
Administrator
Usually this would be the sort of question I'd know an easy answer to, but I've never dealt with partitioned hard drives (outside of Intel Macs running Windows) so....

Actually, I've been putting off reformatting and reinstalling Windows on my main PC for two months now due to laziness. I'm on my Mac's Windows partition at the moment.

Torque Button

"boo fucking hoo" "Die in a fire"
You found the right stuff, sounds like one physical drive.

XP had limitations on usable drive space I think it's 160gb per drive.

A new 320 gig hard drive and a new English version of XP would be optimum.

you need to identify if your drive is IDE (wide ribbon cable) or sata (narrow 1/2" wide cable)

Torque Button;24150 said:
You found the right stuff, sounds like one physical drive.

XP had limitations on usable drive space I think it's 160gb per drive.

A new 320 gig hard drive and a new English version of XP would be optimum.

you need to identify if your drive is IDE (wide ribbon cable) or sata (narrow 1/2" wide cable)

Okay, I'll take pics if you tell me where to aim my camera

is this a desktop or notebook?

either way, even if it is just one drive partitioned or 2 drives, just backup the data you want to save to anything other than c (separate partition/USB stick/External Hard Drive/DL DVD etc...), do a clean install of windows on the partition/drive that you backed up and drag and drop shit accordingly when your done

if its a desktop it always best to keep your "my documents" / "libraries" on a seperate drive than windows. that way windows will not get fragmented and the windows drive will not be paged and bottle necking on the bus of a single drive. also make your swap 2.% times the amount of your ram, allocate the swap space to the seperate drive

My current desktop hard drive set up:

2x640GB Samsung Spinpoint F1's in Striped RAID 0
-the array is partitioned in two, first partition is Windows and second partition is games and large apps (illustrater or Photoshop for example)

then I have a large drive for storage/downloads etc...basically anything that requires large file movement. also stick libraries here (my picture/my videos/my music etc...so i dont fragment or comprimise my windows install

BUGBYTE

chown -R u§ /home/*/ba§e
format the c: and pray...lol you should be ok looks like 2 seperate drives because I have never seen a c:/ with a partition smaller than a d:/. usually c:/ is the usable space and d:/ is for restoration....and only took 16 gb on a toshiba qosmio laptop I just bought(i just made restore dvd's and formated it to make it just 1 hd. and take out all the bragware bullshit)