Russian ambassador in Turkey assassinated by off-duty cop (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hel

Sick, Sad World
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/19/world/europe/russia-ambassador-shot-ankara-turkey-report.html?_r=0

QNL412n.jpg

jxo1zcB.jpg

yIIiFut.jpg

msr

AHHHHH FUCK
security detail? He was an ambassador, not a president.
Yes, the shooter said 'allahu akbar'. Read the article.
I did read the article, after I noticed the link, then I edited and removed that question. (Before you replied in your subtle manner). Are ambassadors not important enough to have a security detail? I can see that one might be warranted in the future.

gman

Free Shrugs©
This user was banned
I did read the article, after I noticed the link, then I edited and removed that question. (Before you replied in your subtle manner). Are ambassadors not important enough to have a security detail? I can see that one might be warranted in the future.
Ordinarily, ambassadors wouldn't require a security detail, because as you rightly said, they're not important enough.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Guess what's starting emerge on news outlets?

"Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan identified the attacker as 22-year-old Mevlut Mert Altintas, who had worked for Ankara riot police for two and a half years.

Security sources said he was off duty and some witnesses said there was no security scanning machine at the entrance. There were also unconfirmed reports he was part of the ambassador's security detail or that he was posing as a member of the security team."

"Update: Shooter of Russian ambassador to Turkey was part of his security detail and was shot dead."

Apparently the shooter was born and raised in Turkey.

It will be interesting to see if the shooter was indeed the Ambassador's security detail.

Either way, he sure had a shitload of lead fired at him by responding police - probably because he was trying to imitate John Travolta.

Good post, Hel. Beat me to it :)

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Now authorities are reporting the shooter as a 'former riot cop' who was being investigated for involvement in Turkey's recent military coup attempt. But it seems that he was still active as a regular police officer.

The first thing I thought when I saw the pics and vid was that he was a body-guard for the Ambassador by the way he was dressed and where he was standing.

McM

ARSELING
Makes at least a bit more 'sense' than to drive into a Christmas market with a Scania. The target should have been from a higher rank though, like archduke Franz Ferdinand 1914.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Makes at least a bit more 'sense' than to drive into a Christmas market with a Scania. The target should have been from a higher rank though, like archduke Franz Ferdinand 1914.
I still find it kinda odd that Russia's Ambassador to Turkey was for whatever reason put into this situation in Anakar amidst terror attacks (the latest in Ankara only last week), lower level Russian diplomats being assassinated in Turkey, and widespread Turkish protests against Russia's involvement in the conflict in Syria.

I also think that many folks are underestimating the role and rank an Ambassador. The role of Ambassador is covered under the Vienna Convention on Public Relations and an Ambassador is the highest ranking foreign diplomat within a country and they represent the Head of State of that country when visiting other countries and essentially is the head of the embassy in a foreign nation where they are afforded complete diplomatic immunity.

An Ambassador is an important role. With high tension between Turkey and Russia...the guy was a sitting duck talking at some art gallery. His role as Russian Ambassador was important and high-level enough for him to assassinated in cold blood.

Ambassadors also work as seekers of "good will" and "peace" and all that shitty shit.

Russia is not taking this lightly and I bet that the Turkish President and his cabinet are a wee bit embarrassed about this at this point in time.

Giggley-gobbs :)

rottenfresh

ummmmm, You smell that?
Guess what's starting emerge on news outlets?

"Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan identified the attacker as 22-year-old Mevlut Mert Altintas, who had worked for Ankara riot police for two and a half years.

Security sources said he was off duty and some witnesses said there was no security scanning machine at the entrance. There were also unconfirmed reports he was part of the ambassador's security detail or that he was posing as a member of the security team."

"Update: Shooter of Russian ambassador to Turkey was part of his security detail and was shot dead."

Apparently the shooter was born and raised in Turkey.

It will be interesting to see if the shooter was indeed the Ambassador's security detail.

Either way, he sure had a shitload of lead fired at him by responding police - probably because he was trying to imitate John Travolta.

Good post, Hel. Beat me to it :)
Shit is happening in the world and the U. S. is not involved? Donald J. Trump will rectify that fuckin travisty.

Back