Sept. 2015 Bloodmoon (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
2015 Supermoon ~ Blood Moon

It's a rare occurrence tonight -- a Supermoon combines with a total lunar eclipse.

The result: Blood Moon 2015.

(A full moon with a full lunar eclipse often looks like it has an orange color, thus some people call it a blood moon.)

Sunday's supermoon moon has something for everyone.

Not only will it be a blood moon and a harvest moon, but it will also coincide with a full lunar eclipse.

As if that weren't enough, it will also be the closest moon to Earth in 2015 -- a supermoon.

The moon's nearness will make it appear 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter in the sky than a full moon at its farthest point from Earth, according to NASA.v

Here are the CDT times to know for prime skywatching:

• The moon will rise around 6:30 p.m. CDT Sunday in Alabama and hit peak fullness at 9:50 p.m.
  • The lunar eclipse will begin at 8:07 p.m. CDT.
  • The total eclipse will begin at 9:11 p.m. CDT.
  • The moment of greatest eclipse will be at 9:47 p.m. CDT.
  • The total eclipse ends 10:23 p.m. CDT.
  • The partial eclipse ends 11:27 p.m. CDT
  • The moon will set between 7-7:15 a.m. CDT on Monday.

On the East Coast, "The moon enters Earth's full shadow, called the umbra, starting at 9:07 p.m. EDT (6:07 p.m. PDT). The total eclipse begins at 10:11 p.m. EDT (7:11 p.m. PDT). Totality lasts an hour and 12 minutes, at which point a bright sliver of the moon will emerge and grow," according to livescience.com.

On the west coast, Californians can start watching when the moon rises at around 7 p.m. Pacific Time. The total lunar eclipse starts at 7:11 p.m. and ends at 8:23 p.m.

Although Sunday's moon will be the closest one to Earth, it will also appear full for the next few nights as well.

Source

So get your camera, or telescope, or just you eyes ready - this one should be a beauty :)

Here's a few pics of recent blood moons that I've taken.

dh-blood-moon-1-Hamilton-Ont-apr-4-15.jpg

dh-blood-moon-2-Hamilton-Ont-apr-4-15.jpg

supermoon-1-Hamilton-CA-aug12-14.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Well that was a shitty end to the world...I got 2 or 3 shots of the blood moon and then had to wait another hour or more before the total eclipse started. Was alot of cloud cover and just before the eclipse was about half way through the clouds took over and bye bye moon. I knew I shoulda brought a few more beers.

Have to see what tomorrow night produces - it's supposed to last until Monday night: the bloodmoon/eclipse...not the beer...sheesh...

So here's a few shots that I took earlier tonight of this 'supermoon'...

1. The lovely city of Hamilton, from the mountain.
supermoon-bloodmoon-lunar-eclipse-1-Hamilton-ON-sept-26-15.jpg

2. Before the clouds set in.
supermoon-bloodmoon-lunar-eclipse-2-Hamilton-ON-sept-26-15.jpg

3. Eclipse has started.
supermoon-bloodmoon-lunar-eclipse-3-Hamilton-ON-sept-26-15.jpg

4. Same ^
supermoon-bloodmoon-lunar-eclipse-4-Hamilton-ON-sept-26-15.jpg

5. Same ^
supermoon-bloodmoon-lunar-eclipse-5-Hamilton-ON-sept-26-15.jpg

zinfandel

The hair-flip of death
I got neither a neat super blood moon or a decent view of the eclipse. At best, the moon looked slightly larger and tinged with a little pink; then the clouds hid it. I feel jipped. :coffee:

I remember seeing a really gorgeous blood moon during the summer of 1982; I suppose anything would pale by comparison anyway.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Some areas got totally fucked out on this blood moon/super moon. After the clouds covered the moon I headed back down the mountain. A little while later I looked out my balcony and the frickin' clouds were gone and the moon was near total eclipse.

I tried a few photos from my balcony and haven't checked them yet.

It's clear skies right now outside and if it stays that way into this evening I'm going to head back up the mountain since the 2nd day of the super moon should still should almost be like last night.

the shadow allows one to see the curvature of the sphere, instead of just a disk in space. we had a decent view. some clouds but they passed quickly because i cursed at them.

Back