Sir Tim Berners-Lee: Internet has become 'world’s largest surveillance network' (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

D.O.A.

We are Kings
WORLD WIDE WEB CREATOR Sir Tim Berners-Lee has said that the internet has fallen into the hands of large corporations and governments and become the "world’s largest surveillance network".

Berners-Lee explained in an interview with The New York Times that his invention has steadily come under the control of powerful interests.

"It controls what people see. It creates mechanisms for how people interact. It's been great, but spying, blocking sites, repurposing people's content, taking you to the wrong websites completely undermines the spirit of helping people create," he said.

INQ debate: The Internet Of Things is an existential threat for technology adoption laggards

"The problem is the dominance of one search engine, one big social network, one Twitter for microblogging."

Berners-Lee met a group of internet activists this week, including Brewster Kahle, head of the Internet Archive, and fellow internet pioneer Vint Cerf, in San Francisco at the Decentralized Web Summit to discuss ways of "re-decentralising" the internet, giving more control to individuals and ensuring more privacy and security.

It is a subject that he has returned to time and again. Berners-Lee attended the launch of the documentary ForEveryone.net at the Sundance Film Festival in January, and talked about the importance of defending net neutrality in an age when technology allows unprecedented control of the world's communications.

"The temptation to grab control of the internet by the government or by a company is always going to be there. They will wait until we're sleeping, because if you're a government or a company and you can control something, you'll want it," he said.

"You want to control your citizens or exploit consumers. The temptation is huge. Yes, we can have things enshrined in law, but even then it won't necessarily stop people."

Berners-Lee continued with this theme in a recent interview with GeekWire. "We're on the edge of finding that a company can get to the point where actually it will control everything everybody sees," he said.

"It will decide which friends' posts and which news articles a person sees, and we realise that we're talking about one big corporation suddenly having complete control over somebody's view of the planet on which they live. It's a constant battle and we are very close to it all the time."

Berners-Lee is far from alone in looking at ways to wrest control of the web from large corporations like Amazon and Google and from governments that use it as a way to keep tabs on populations, as Snowden revealed, or to censor what citizens can read.

There is a burgeoning industry of privacy-focused sites and applications, such as social media site MeWe, of which Berners-Lee is a board member, personal information management systems such as Meeco and new transactional solutions based on blockchain technology and cryptography.

Others have taken the decentralisation idea still further, such as Scottish firm MaidSafe which is working on an autonomous internet with no servers and no central control. µ

Nex

You've Heard It All Before
Technological Slavery: The collected writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski - We all know he was fucking nuts, but just give it a read sometime. Orwell's writings, "1984".

I have lived completely off the grid before, and I miss it dearly at times.

wino

DILLIGAF
Technological Slavery: The collected writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski - We all know he was fucking nuts, but just give it a read sometime. Orwell's writings, "1984".

I know excatly where you are . .. . .think about it ;)

Reactions: Nex

Gorgutz

Post-Mortem
He says this because like many of us he enjoyed what was known as 'net 1.0'. No retards failbooking their lives, no twatter, no jewgle owning everything, no retarded mobile friendly sites that make you scroll endlessly. People had to actually put an effort to search what was interesting to them on the internet using many sites instead of being dumbed down to 3 or 4 sites all the time.

People who browsed differentiated (mostly) between the outside world and the internet, now social networking got many to forget to use nicknames OTI and suddenly made everyone's posted shit everyone's business, an effective form of social control in a place that needed none.

No PC police, no people getting in jail for free speech, rampant piracy... what's not to like? Now thanks to the corporate kike buzzards and the mass of goyim the internet gets everyday smaller, tighter and further subjected to 'big gummint' grasp despite getting wider in 'size' while shallower in depth. Most of the deep web is a honeypot, too.

Also see Brave New World by Huxley.

D.O.A.

We are Kings
Google and Facebook are the worst for this shit. Facebook is nothing but an advertiser with cutting edge spyware. I bought a pretty obscure electronic component via china from ebay a while back, nothing out of the ordinary there but when I logged in to facebook to see why they banned me from posting for another 30 days low and behold here's the same obscure component recommended to me from facebook ads. That's facebook tracking my browser movements with the spyware they've passed on to it. Facebook = AIDS.

Wayne Kerr

a fuck off is always acceptable*
This user was banned
Google and Facebook are the worst for this shit. Facebook is nothing but an advertiser with cutting edge spyware. I bought a pretty obscure electronic component via china from ebay a while back, nothing out of the ordinary there but when I logged in to facebook to see why they banned me from posting for another 30 days low and behold here's the same obscure component recommended to me from facebook ads. That's facebook tracking my browser movements with the spyware they've passed on to it. Facebook = AIDS.
whatre you gonna do this time?

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST

I understand what you mean here and I agree with you, but on top of all that, Facebook and other social networking like it also gather intelligence and data on people without even having to give people spyware. Facebook itself is spyware. People get into the habit of signing in every day, or just having it synced to their phone 24/7, and constantly giving the world status updates about what they are doing.. broadcasting their location via GPS so everyone can track them and knows where they are going.. getting people into the very uncomfortable trend of being comfortable with telling so many people what you are up to, and getting to see the same data on lots of other people. I posted in a thread on here before saying something like, who really knows, Facebook might be for conditioning people to pretty much rat on each other.. write reports of what you saw during your daily routines.. it sounds far fetched but maybe it will get to the point to where you have to have a facebook page, or something like it, and every night by, let's say 10:00PM, write down your log for the day about what you did, and if you saw anything out of the ordinary while you did it. And list everyone by name that you ran into and you know personally. Maybe it will just start for government workers, or a very well paying good job that has strict rules and people will say "ah, what the fuck, why not" and choose to do it rather than be fired and lose a great pay rate.

It's really scary when you think about it. And it's really not that far fetched. Maybe twenty, even ten years ago, people would say that the above sounds so insane that only a paranoid schizophrenic would think that up.. but we already have to deal with cameras everywhere (in England the most, so I've read), that have facial recognition software on them, so good I've heard that they will still be able to pick out who you are even after you've had mild plastic surgery done.. we have retinal scanners for identifying purposes, but I've also read that they can be used to log employee productivity while at the workstation, etc. There are some really creepy things going on in the world today, and it's even creepier that so many people just either are completely ignorant to it all, or they are actually good with it, believe that somehow it's all for the greater good of things and it will protect them from 'bad' or 'evil' things, and of course, terrorists.

When's the last time that you've went on a vacation to some far away place with hardly any tech at all, no security cameras on the streets, not that many people around, a very small police presence, etc.? I went to a place like that not that long ago, and it was just so amazing and relaxed and I just felt so much better being in that sort of environment.

D.O.A.

We are Kings
When's the last time that you've went on a vacation to some far away place with hardly any tech at all
I'm lucky in that regard I can drive an hour to a remote family property and go gold detecting (do batteries count?), panning or drive for a couple more and share an entire beach with 3 other people. That's my idea of a vacation and it's also just a great way of detaching from humanity for a while and hearing nothing but nature in the background.

McM

ARSELING
I have to be offline for weeks at least once a year, going camping in the Ardennes or Rhine banks. Having just an old cell phone for energency reasons with me.
Internet is cool, but you definitely don't need all this shit every day. No.
And GG is enough 'social media' for me. ;)

Back