South Texas police dogs die from heat exposure in sheriff's vehicle (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

inappropriate behavior

Your apology is accepted :)
poor doggies :( hope the k9 unit is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

aefdc6f2-0eb2-385f.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/article/south-texas-police-dogs-die-from-heat-exposure-sheriff-s-vehicle

O(∩_∩)O

DirtyDiamonds

I'll swallow your soul!
So he should be prosecuted for killing an officer right? (or 2) Isn't that what they do if a regular citizen kills a police dog??

I would have loved to have been the one to break those fucking windows and get those dogs out.

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
This is one of the MOST fucked up thing's I have heard in quite awhile! FORGOT??? WTF, how can you forget that YOU are responsible for 2 live's? It's not like they can just let themselves out, and to not just put them in their home kennel's when you get there is beyond lazy and irresponsible! I do hope he get's prosecuted to the FULL extent of the law, if it were A regular citizen they sure would be and ostracized from the community!:rage:

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
The cop should at the very least be fired and have his pension taken away.

Ten days administrative leave is what he got? He might still be getting paid for those two weeks.. are you fucking kidding me?

Every year thousands of dogs die in hot cars, and the real tragedy is that each one of these horrible deaths is easily preventable.

That just made me very sad.

Angelahh

meow :o)
In my area, the K9 vehicles are equipped to release the dog when it reaches a certain temp (first the windows roll down). This is easily avoidable :(

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
In my area, the K9 vehicles are equipped to release the dog when it reaches a certain temp (first the windows roll down). This is easily avoidable :(

As much as I think that is a good idea, unless the K9's leash is attached to something in the cruiser, I could see a very bad situation happening if the doors just open all of the sudden and the cop in charge of the dog isn't around.

Angelahh

As much as I think that is a good idea, unless the K9's leash is attached to something in the cruiser, I could see a very bad situation happening if the doors just open all of the sudden and the cop in charge of the dog isn't around.

Well IDK all the details but let me explain better - For one the dog is loose in the back seat but the windows have metal mesh - the dog cant get to the front seat. So the first temperature trigger opens the windows which should help - and the dog can not get out. If it gets even more extreme (wish I had the temperatures to quote) then the door opens and before that happens the police station is alerted - even with the windows going down - as the reasoning for the dog being stuck in the car very well could be that the handler/officer is down.

Even if the dog is released from the vehicle without the officer around, K9s act on command not instinct in most situations.

These K9s are $15Ks each. Not only are they protected and treated like an officer (hence the stiff penalties for killing one) they are a huge investment.

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
Well IDK all the details but let me explain better - For one the dog is loose in the back seat but the windows have metal mesh - the dog cant get to the front seat. So the first temperature trigger opens the windows which should help - and the dog can not get out. If it gets even more extreme (wish I had the temperatures to quote) then the door opens and before that happens the police station is alerted - even with the windows going down - as the reasoning for the dog being stuck in the car very well could be that the handler/officer is down.

Even if the dog is released from the vehicle without the officer around, K9s act on command.

Thanks for the additional info, that helped out a lot.

I know K9's act on command, but if I was in charge of the police station one of the last things I'd want was a K9 outside of a cruiser without its handler.

Angelahh

Thanks for the additional info, that helped out a lot.

I know K9's act on command, but if I was in charge of the police station one of the last things I'd want was a K9 outside of a cruiser without its handler.

Absolutely! I do know a few handlers and I hate to say but they have admitted to their dogs escaping from their outdoor kennels and roaming the neighborhood. Luckily no problems.... but certainly can be an issue - especially if someone accidentally screams the word "attack" in German lol

KG

stalking
This makes me sad. I have a Belgian Malinois an she was a drug dog and these dogs are very loyal and protective. Mine is bi-lingual but only listens to me and the bf.

Back