'Storm Chasers' stars killed in Oklahoma tornado (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

D.N.R.

Medication time
I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. He is a true hero but still it must be so hard for his family and friends. I think you are smart not to drive during storm season. It's not worth the risk to you and your kids. I live on the West coast and have never experienced a tornado or a hurricane. I use to think it would be cool to see a tornado in close proximity but not anymore. It looks terrifying!
I was in an F5 when I was 17 yrs old. There was only about a 2 minute warning before it hit. I got in my closet and by pure luck was unharmed but the bed I had been sleeping in right before it hit was crushed under wooden beams. I will have to dig out my pics one of these days. Took me a long time to get over it.

D.O.A.

We are Kings
I was in an F5 when I was 17 yrs old. There was only about a 2 minute warning before it hit. I got in my closet and by pure luck was unharmed but the bed I had been sleeping in right before it hit was crushed under wooden beams. I will have to dig out my pics one of these days. Took me a long time to get over it.

:eek:

Equal Hater

Unbannable by decree!
Hard to put a good "twist" on the tragic stories that result from tornadoes. Stay safe people.

It is hard but I gave it a little try.

I say fuck it: people die every day, jumping out the balcony or in a shitty car accident, by cancer or a tsunami. Shit happens and we got to do what we do. I know I won't ever die, but if for some weird accident I do, you are allowed to make fun of it.

(And I will fucking hunt you from the guts of hell and rape your soul for eternity).

Wolf

The weak are meat the strong do eat...
It is hard but I gave it a little try.

I say fuck it: people die every day, jumping out the balcony or in a shitty car accident, by cancer or a tsunami. Shit happens and we got to do what we do. I know I won't ever die, but if for some weird accident I do, you are allowed to make fun of it.

(And I will fucking hunt you from the guts of hell and rape your soul for eternity) .

Remind me not to write your eulogy.
smiley-shocked011.gif

SimmonS

SS Teutonic knights templar
'I look at it that he is in the 'big tornado in the sky...'" Some people are so poetic and good at being descriptive at times like these.

Douggle

Resident Weeaboo.
I know this is bumping an old post, while a lot of people give storm chasers a lot of flack, the fact is they save lives, and Tim Samaras and the Twistex team were doing readings with probes that would go right into the tornado, he was an expert in this field but even he couldnt predict that the El Reno Tornado would have changed trajectory. Normally the safe thing to do is drive south to get out of the tornado's path, this didn't work during El Reno, also caught in this storm was the Weather Channels Mike Bettes here is a good documentary about the El Reno Tornado that claimed Tim Samaras, Paul Samaras and Carl Young

D

draymiles

Internet Warrior
Well, I guess musicians die onstage and Stormchasers die a storm a chasin! ;)

Pixiedust

Serial Killer has been made.....
I am a certified storm spotter. If it wasnt for us out risking our lives, more people would be hurt or even killed. I do have the video of their lives being taken by the tornado, and it is horrific and saddening. RIP my fellow chasers. SMH.....

Douggle

Resident Weeaboo.
I understand firemen going into a home that is on fire to save a person but running around after a storm is just stupid.
Except Storm Chasers and spotters are typically the ones to notify tv and radio stations to begin with, you may think it is stupid but the fact remains these people STILL save lives. There is still a lot about tornado's that scientists don't know... like why some rotating thunderstorms for tornadoes and some do not, which is why scientists like the Twistex team were throwing probes into the storms.

Frank L

Fresh Meat
Except Storm Chasers and spotters are typically the ones to notify tv and radio stations to begin with, you may think it is stupid but the fact remains these people STILL save lives. There is still a lot about tornado's that scientists don't know... like why some rotating thunderstorms for tornadoes and some do not, which is why scientists like the Twistex team were throwing probes into the storms.

See, I didnt know that. I thought they just ran after storms for the fuck of it or because of a TV show.. Now that I know they try and tell folks to run and hide from the storm then they are ok. Who pays them? City or state, or Fed? I have to admit, I dont know anything about that job. I didnt know it even was a job????

Douggle

Resident Weeaboo.
See, I didnt know that. I thought they just ran after storms for the fuck of it or because of a TV show.. Now that I know they try and tell folks to run and hide from the storm then they are ok. Who pays them? City or state, or Fed? I have to admit, I dont know anything about that job. I didnt know it even was a job????
Some of them work with the National Service, others are freelance and sell their footage to the tv and radio stations, but yes, many are responsible for warning others, and even many more help after the storms are over helping victims and such like that. While there are some that were on reality tv even they are scientists and things like that. Its due to them and the Doppler radar that tornado warning lead times are up to the 13 minutes they are today, it used to be there was a lead time of 2 minutes. But due to the hard work of chasers they have increased the lead time so people have more time to take shelter. Also Storm Spotters and Storm chasers while they work in similar lines of work do 2 different types of jobs. Like I said there are some that are merely thrill seekers, but the Twistex team wasn't one of those.

Frank L

Fresh Meat
Some of them work with the National Service, others are freelance and sell their footage to the tv and radio stations, but yes, many are responsible for warning others, and even many more help after the storms are over helping victims and such like that. While there are some that were on reality tv even they are scientists and things like that. Its due to them and the Doppler radar that tornado warning lead times are up to the 13 minutes they are today, it used to be there was a lead time of 2 minutes. But due to the hard work of chasers they have increased the lead time so people have more time to take shelter. Also Storm Spotters and Storm chasers while they work in similar lines of work do 2 different types of jobs. Like I said there are some that are merely thrill seekers, but the Twistex team wasn't one of those.

Yeah, Thrill seekers, thats what I thought at first. Did not know about the actual help they provide.

ramblar

Forum Veteran
I was friends with a sheriff who died Friday morning while trying to save some people during a flash flood. I am also friends with his wife but I can't make myself drive to Arkansas for the funeral because it's storm season. I refuse to put my kids in danger by going back there during the spring. I don't miss tornadoes at all.
You don't miss tornadoes, they miss you.

The only thing that scares the living shit out of me.

A big vacuum cleaner with a busted bag.

Back